Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2018 7:39:45 PM EDT
Bought a Faxon 16" Gunner for my build, people dont like that i chose it. Had good reviews online so i picked it.
What's a good barrel? Have found good reviews on Rainier Arms Mountain series CHF, and Daniel Defense CHF.
If i buy another barrel to replace the one in my build, I want it to be good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave it to ARFCOM to shit on a guy's first build...

Anywho... I've used Noveske and DD in almost all of my builds.  Noveske are always the better of the two.  That's my vote.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anywho... I've used Noveske and DD in almost all of my builds.  Noveske are always the better of the two.  That's my vote.
View Quote
I'll look into them, thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'll look into them, thanks
View Quote
Very welcome.  This is what you want unless weight is a huge concern.  My 16" build is a bullet on bullet tack driver.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Faxon barrel.  
The Gunner line is plenty accurate and as long as you're not doing a ton of mag dumps, it should last you a long, long time.

**If you're a mag-dump type of guy, look for a chrome-lined barrel; they hold up better under high heat.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just think guys were a bit suprised about your build and barrel choice, that said if both being 1/7 twist I doubt your gonna notice a differnce, like said unless your shooting thousands of rounds. Use what ya got and when your ready for your next build and wanna step up go noveske chf
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Faxon barrel.  
The Gunner line is plenty accurate and as long as you're not doing a ton of mag dumps, it should last you a long, long time.

**If you're a mag-dump type of guy, look for a chrome-lined barrel; they hold up better under high heat.
View Quote
This above,

I didn’t see your other thread where they gave you a hard time.  I imagine most that did are either fanboys or keyboard commandos.  There is nothing wrong with a Faxon Gunner Barrel.  That barrel was made for 3 gun shooters.  They have to be fast and somewhat accurate shooters.  I have a lot of different barrels in use, Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, Larue, PSA Freedom and White Oak plus a few other misc barrels.  The best overall grouping Barrel is the White Oak.  My Larue groups just as well as my BA and Faxon barrels and I don’t just have one of each.  I have 2-5 of each brand mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Daniel Defense, Ballistic Advantage, Noveske, White Oaks. Totally depends on what your purpose for the barrel is.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think I shit on you...  I hope I didn't.  I would happily use faxon in a budget to midtier build.  If I was going to go all in, DD or Noveske or LaRue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, you spent a+ money, but it's debatable that you spent it in the right areas.  That's the gist of most, the others just piled on, regurgitating what they read.  Lots of gun lovers on this site, unfortunately not as many gun shooters.

If you built a rifle out of parts that you liked the look of, then don't sweat it.

The barrel is where inherent/mechanical accuracy starts.  Faxon is fine, but there are more accurate barrels available.  Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja, Shilen, Rock Creek are barrel makers.  That's all they do and they do it exceptionally well.

I think you'll love the ambi lower.  I use ambis on all precision builds.  You can get down on the rifle prone, line up on a target, and release the bolt without moving your support hand.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think I shit on you...  I hope I didn't.  I would happily use faxon in a budget to midtier build.  If I was going to go all in, DD or Noveske or LaRue.
View Quote
DD and Larue are mid tier as well.  Larue and ballistic advantage are equals in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bought a Faxon 16" Gunner for my build, people dont like that i chose it. Had good reviews online so i picked it.
What's a good barrel? Have found good reviews on Rainier Arms Mountain series CHF, and Daniel Defense CHF.
View Quote
OP, your 16" Faxon barrel is GTG.

Faxon & Ballistic Advantage are the "sweet spot" in value.

You can definitely spend more.

Lilja, Bartlein, Krieger for precision builds.

CHF for blasters.

Sure.

That 16" Faxon is going to do just fine for you.  The ammo you choose will play a bigger role in accuracy than buying a more expensive barrel.

Shoot it.  If you wear it out, buy something different.

These guys will wear your wallet out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#12]
What do you all think of the Ranier Arms CHF barrels?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haven't shot one.  I can tell you that their ultramatch 223 barrels are excellent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
For chf fn are damn good for $300 if that fits your wallet better
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Like I said in another thread today when someone asked what was a "good" barrel. Define good. Defending on what you want from it you may want a Krieger or you may want a a blue light special.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
It would be foolish to change a barrel you haven’t even shot yet. Get some trigger time with your gun and if after a decent amount of time it doesn’t perform like you want then look at other barrels.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think people were necessarily knocking the Faxon barrel, but rather how much money you spent on the barrel (the most important component of the rifle with regards to accuracy) vs how much you spent on other parts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It would be foolish to change a barrel you haven’t even shot yet. Get some trigger time with your gun and if after a decent amount of time it doesn’t perform like you want then look at other barrels.
View Quote
Unless he wants to sell it as new unfired. I don't see an issue with the barrel personally, but if I were building something 'nice' it wouldn't have been my first choice.

O.P. I really dig my Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. But I also have a Larue Stealth and a Noveske SPR. All great barrels.

If you want to hedge your bets in the precision department a different barrel might be a good idea. But I wouldn't say it would be absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unless he wants to sell it as new unfired. I don't see an issue with the barrel personally, but if I were building something 'nice' it wouldn't have been my first choice.

O.P. I really dig my Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. But I also have a Larue Stealth and a Noveske SPR. All great barrels.

If you want to hedge your bets in the precision department a different barrel might be a good idea. But I wouldn't say it would be absolutely necessary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said he planned on doing more builds in the future so he will need a barrel eventually anyway.

My opinion still stands. Don’t be the guy changing out parts before you even use them. I don’t think I posted in his build thread because it was clear the dogpile was well underway.

In the future I would ask before hand but since he bought parts he should run them. Life’s too short to swear the small stuff. He can switch stuff out if it doesn’t meet his expectations as he goes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a shit ton of barrel manufacturers and none that I know of are trash.

You get what you pay for basically. You can spend $900 on a Proof Research barrel or $89 on a PSA barrel, Neither are bad choices.

They all have their place.

Just depends on what you want to spend and how you intend to use your build.

So Enjoy your Faxxon barrel and give us a range report once the build is done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed and Larue. Only thing for me is the DD 10.5" gov is overgassed but shoots great with Tubb carbine action spring and H2, IMI fodder
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are FN barrel blanks and are good to go. If this is a battle rifle I would go with a chrome lined barrel.  Hammer forged is great but no completely necessary

For Chrome Lined I would go
DD
FN
Rainer
Colt
Centurion
 All good options.  I would say the DD are reportedly the most accurate for CHF if that matters.  The Colt is the only non-chf on that list and is still really good and accurate

If you are Going more precision oriented I would go stainless
Compass Lake- Choose from a variety of blanks at various prices
Keystone Accuracy- same as above but a little better pricing on the lower end.  I have several and they are all MOA or better
White Oak- Probably best value as you can get a solid shooter for $285

I dont think Noveske is as good as they used to be and they are more expensive. IMO you can do better with other options, but i wouldnt give anyone that had one on their gun crap or anything
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Unless it's a precision rifle I don't really give a fuck what the barrel is or who made it.

You can get a $100 barrel that shoots great or you might spend $300 on one that shoots poorly.

Keep what you have and shoot it, if it isn't up to your accuracy requirements then look into a different/better one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing wrong with your Faxon.

Good and cheap = Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, AIM, RTB, Larue, etc

You can spend more, but I'm not going to.

Just stay away from the bottom of the barrel stuff like Bear Creek, Radical and Anderson.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#25]
A barrel becomes good when you find the ammo it likes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
People keep repeating that chrome lined barrels are superior under heat and mag dumps. Where are the comparisons that prove this? I would not let people talk you into chrome lined because that's what they have.

The only real side by side comparison of chrome lined vs. Nitride I have seen was done by Mrgunsngear. Both barrels were identical Faxon barrels besides chrome vs. Nitride. They were ran in full auto for around 1200 rounds and the Nitride barrel was unchanged while the chrome lined barrel had throat erosion and groups opened way up. This was only one test so it doesn't prove anything, but it is what it is. Under any semi auto fire (even mag dumps) Nitride will last much longer than chrome lined and to 99.9% of us this is what matters. Faxon has stated that chrome lined will be better for sustained full auto heat but the only test they had any part in gave the opposite result . Continuing to sell higher priced chrome lined barrels is the only basis of the opinion I have seen.

Nitride is as hard as chrome but much thicker. Nitride does not effect accuracy like chrome lined. Nitride is more corrosion resistant and protects the entire barrel unlike chrome lined. Nitride withstands heat like chrome lined. The only place chrome lined could possibly have an advantage would be in extreme heat (like 500 rounds in a row in full auto heat that no semi auto fire can replicate) and even then I have seen nothing but opinions on the subject with no real comparisons to back it. Even if it were true that chrome lining deteriorates slower under extreme temperatures, no one is going to get a barrel hot enough for it to matter unless they are making a full auto melt down video.

I have Noveske and DD chrome lined barrels because they were the best a few years ago. I would not buy anything but Nitride now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]
My last 4 builds have used odin barrels, and they have been awesome.I keep waiting for one, to not pass their MOA guarantee, but it hasnt happened.The odin's come with adjustable gas blocks too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People keep repeating that chrome lined barrels are superior under heat and mag dumps. Where are the comparisons that prove this? I would not let people talk you into chrome lined because that's what they have.

The only real side by side comparison of chrome lined vs. Nitride I have seen was done by Mrgunsngear. Both barrels were identical Faxon barrels besides chrome vs. Nitride. They were ran in full auto for around 1200 rounds and the Nitride barrel was unchanged while the chrome lined barrel had throat erosion and groups opened way up. This was only one test so it doesn't prove anything, but it is what it is. Under any semi auto fire (even mag dumps) Nitride will last much longer than chrome lined and to 99.9% of us this is what matters. Faxon has stated that chrome lined will be better for sustained full auto heat but the only test they had any part in gave the opposite result . Continuing to sell higher priced chrome lined barrels is the only basis of the opinion I have seen.

Nitride is as hard as chrome but much thicker. Nitride does not effect accuracy like chrome lined. Nitride is more corrosion resistant and protects the entire barrel unlike chrome lined. Nitride withstands heat like chrome lined. Cont...
View Quote
Thank you for your input sir.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nitride is as hard as chrome but much thicker. Nitride does not effect accuracy like chrome lined. Nitride is more corrosion resistant and protects the entire barrel unlike chrome lined. Nitride withstands heat like chrome lined. The only place chrome lined could possibly have an advantage would be in extreme heat (like 500 rounds in a row in full auto heat that no semi auto fire can replicate) and even then I have seen nothing but opinions on the subject with no real comparisons to back it. Even if it were true that chrome lining deteriorates slower under extreme temperatures, no one is going to get a barrel hot enough for it to matter unless they are making a full auto melt down video.

I have Noveske and DD chrome lined barrels because they were the best a few years ago. I would not buy anything but Nitride now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you give me some info on Nitride being thicker than chrome please? @ bigjunk1 I was under the impression the opposite was true which is why you can have a completed barrel nitrided but not hard chromed. Hard Chromed barrel bores are built oversized to account for the chrome when it is applied.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Im a noob AR builder myself and I think a better question would be "what makes a barrel good?".

First determine the use for your rifle, set a budget for certain parts, and go from there would be my advice after 3 weeks of reading & research. Most of the guys in the other thread were getting on you for the cost of your other parts. It seemed like you skimped on one of the most important parts, although it's a great barrel for specific set ups.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can you give me some info on Nitride being thicker than chrome please? @ bigjunk1 I was under the impression the opposite was true which is why you can have a completed barrel nitrided but not hard chromed. Hard Chromed barrel bores are built oversized to account for the chrome when it is applied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chrome is a lining placed on top of the steel.
Nitride is not a coating, it is a treatment that makes the outer layer of the steel hard and corrosion resistant. Since Nitride does not change the dimension of the steel it can be done at any time, this is why it does not effect accuracy either. Nitride can be much thicker than chrome lining depending on the treatment type.
Chrome lining is approx. .0005'' and M249 is around .001''.   Nitride is approx. .01-.024''.   Even M249 chrome lining is less than a tenth as thick as Nitride.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nitride is not a coating, it is a treatment that makes the outer layer of the steel hard and corrosion resistant. Since Nitride does not change the dimension of the steel it can be done at any time, this is why it does not effect accuracy either. Nitride can be much thicker than chrome lining depending on the treatment type.
Chrome lining is approx. .0005'' and M249 is around .001''.   Nitride is approx. .01-.024''.   Even M249 chrome lining is less than a tenth as thick as Nitride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense. When people talk about thickness like that I am thinking about added thickness.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Your Faxon gunner is a good barrel. I wouldn’t change it. Leave it on and enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Green Mountain Barrels has some nice barrels and they are more economical.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#36]
BSF if you want to continue to break the bank
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Does the 16" Faxon barrel meet "your" expectations? Do "you" find it lacking?  IMO, Piss on what others may think of your choice in barrels if the answer to the first question is a yes and the second a no.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#38]
My 16" Faxon Gunner barrel is a freakin' tack driver and is one of several Faxon barrels I have in builds.

Not a damn thing wrong with Faxon. They make excellent barrels and they are an excellent value for the dollar.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#39]
This is good info for me as well, since someone here bit me with the AR bug...thank you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey Bigjunk1, Just want to clarify coating thickness since my father works for a plating company that does gun parts. Hard chrome *can* have deposits as large as .02 if you are trying not to have to weld a part, but typically in the .0003" - .0004" of an inch thickness. Titanium Nitride is typically .0001" - .0002" and Chromium nitride is usually 0.00012 in thickness.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#41]
The barrel is fine. Throw it in and enjoy the rifle. Then for your next build (which is not an "if" but rather a "when") you can decide if it's worth it to you to put something else in for the barrel. The Faxon is a great choice and honestly will more than likely serve you just fine. Are there better barrels? Sure. A person who shoots less than 1k rounds a year and just enjoys shooting paper targets is unlikely going to see the benefits of something such as a CHF barrel from DD or FN. Same goes for hyper-accuracy such as Krieger or Lilja. Totally depends on what you deem is necessary for the amount of money you have to work with.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top