Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2021 4:32:20 AM EDT
https://ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/specSheets/8514.html

Attachment Attached File

I've read some great and some not so great reviews. Is this rifle a shooter?  I'm hoping the barrel has an accuracy potential close to the RPR's barrel. I wanted to make it an SPR/DMR rifle.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a need to replace any OEM parts immediately to avoid reliability/durability issues?

What changes would you make and why?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's one of the more underrated rifles on the market.  Good trigger, accurate cold hammer forged barrel, SL stock.

My "immediate" change was swapping the brake for a Smith Vortex.  Beyond that....add glass of your choosing and it really is a pretty nice rifle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Hanging out at the range, I’ve seen too many Ruger AR issues to ever recommend one. Brass stuck in chamber and simply just don’t run mostly seem common, seen a trigger bind up. I lent my spare bcg to few people to get em through the day to have some fun, and it worked.

In that price range I’d recommend a Windham, or something from DS Arms, PSA  would all probably be a better investment
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Finally got my rifle home and I'm very impressed. Everything appears well made and assembled properly. I removed the handguard and took apart the bolt, cleaned and wiped it down to remove the new rifle gunk, and inspected it thoroughly. I made some changes to make it work for me as an SPR. The trigger is amazing. I can't wait to shoot this rifle. I'll update after I do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Most issues on the range with new ARs are people taking them out bone dry and shooting them until they quit.

That said the Rugers are good. I'd remove that varmint style brake and use your flash hider of choice.

I've seen more issues from PSA LPK's than anything else.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most issues on the range with new ARs are people taking them out bone dry and shooting them until they quit.

That said the Rugers are good. I'd remove that varmint style brake and use your flash hider of choice.

I've seen more issues from PSA LPK's than anything else.
View Quote

This

I have seen crazy stuff put on bolts and used as lube or no lube at all. Then people have problems and blame the rifle
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two MPR's along with  DD V11 PRO..I would not hesitate to grab the MPR over the DD if war broke out tonight. I have around 4k rds thru one and 5k rds thru the other, no issues ever.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the most underrated and best value ARs on the market today.

Some reports of being finicky with steel case ammo.

I personally dont shoot steel case ammo so dont give a hoot, but if your someone with a big stash of steel case or plan on using it during the current ammo fuckery it might give me pause.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Ruger AR-556 MPR is a solid rifle. The trigger is really good and should break-in to amazing. I finally shot it, only putting 80rds through it but it was beautiful, accurate and smooth. The rifle length gas and 18"bbl really gave me the best AR experience I've ever had. I gave the rifle a quick 25m zero to ensure my optic was in the ballpark but I ran out of daylight, ammo and time so I was I unable to get a 100yd zero. I gave my ammo to my Stepdad to shoot his first AR with. The last 3 mags I fucked off with shooting 1 gallon jugs we hung from the trees at the 200yd treeline at the base of the hill. I'll report back soon once I have confirmed my 100yd zero but this rifle is better than I.
Attachment Attached File

I've done a lot of window shopping before buying this AR and this is an amazing value for the price. Would buy another especially at $899. Wow and some people have purchased for less than $600.

The other rifle on the table is a SIG716I Tread. Just like the MPR, it is an amazing value. I need to shoot them both way more but they both feel like great bangs for the buck in their respective categories.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#10]
What would cause this and  how can I fix it ?  Ruger ARBuild Hammer/ BCG
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]
@gunsmith39

What is the problem you are having? Is it the finish wear marks on the hammer, and what is picture 1 exactly? Its zoomed in so much for detail, I can't tell if it's the top of your hammer or a part of the lower receiver.

Picture 1
Attachment Attached File

Picture 2
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm failing to see the problem.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm failing to see the problem.
View Quote

I agree but I wanted to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Maybe we missed something.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Picture 1 looks like the bottom of the bolt carrier. It appears to have some strange little dings in it where it cycles over the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks good from here....Like anything else; if it's in spec, it's as good as anything else.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#16]
11/14 Ruger ARs I’ve seen have bent gas tubes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I've read a few poor reviews on this rifle and I feel its either user error or a few bad apples. After shooting my 18" Ruger MPR, I am convinced I am really lucky or the bad reviewers are extremely unlucky!
This rifle is awesome!
I zeroed my new Offset Flip-up BUIS at 25yds. I then zeroed my Nikon M-TACTICAL 1-4x24 Mk1-MOA LVPO at 100yds. Then we shot at various steel, paper and gallon jug targets from 100yds-200yds. My buddy had the shot of the day with what looked like an under 2" 5 shot group at 200yds. Next shoot we will focus primarily on the accuracy potential of this rifle. With 410rds down the pipe, this rifle is quickly becoming my favorite. Everyone had a blast shooting it. No failures or issues just reliable performance.
Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top