Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2018 4:08:52 PM EDT
Looking for a new Eotech, 558 or EXPS3, latest and greatest.
Did a search, yes, and a thread from 2009 said don't buy anything pre-REV F.
That was a lot of years ago, what is the current electronics revision ??
How does one tell by looking at the unit?

Any tips on BF sales for Eotech ?

ETA: REV F is from 2005, surely there have been updates since then ??
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometime in 2018 EOtech updated their models to run 2500hrs on AA Lithium vs 1000.

The new logo EOtechs also have the parallax and thermal drift correction...
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sometime in 2018 EOtech updated their models to run 2500hrs on AA Lithium vs 1000.

View Quote
Is there a source for the battery life?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah...their press release

Click this. Page 5.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
The one I got made in August didn't work.  Same as the one I got in 2012.

Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Emailed Eotech to ask...
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Asked what ... did you not see my link to their catalog with the update warranty and battery info?

I just ordered a 518 for my Tavor...was a split between trying the Vortex UH1 but I just cant stand how the reticle fades on it on the left and bottom of the window .75" from to the edge of the glass...so with EOtech updating their battery life and warranty...I went with it instead.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
What correction?

I looked a while back and found no tech info to support that theory.

There was also a thread here.
Longer battery life and better nitrogen seals were the only improvements anyone could point to (since the recall).
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#8]
GarandThumb has confirmed it.

and SOCOM chose EOTech again in 2018 with a large contract for their sights as they beat out others during the latest testing with the improved EOtech sights as reported by Soldier Systems.

TFB also reported on it during their factory tour of EOtech.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
An EOTech with a new logo is significantly improved in every way from the old ones. Electronically, materially, parallax, thermal drift and durability. If you can get one with a new logo, it is what you should buy.
Shameless plug, I have one left for sale in the EE.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Asked what ... did you not see my link to their catalog with the update warranty and battery info?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sorry, to clarify, emailed Eotech on how to tell.
First response was there are no revisions, after forwarding the verbage you posted, response is:

Anything with the new Logo would be current products (2017 and newer). All EOTech sights have a manufacture date on the bottom of the sights
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#11]
The new logo started in 2017...which had the thermal drift updates....in 2018...they released the updated more efficient battery circuitry with the new 10 year warranty.

Just to be clear...ALL weapon sights will have thermal dift issues when exposed to extreme hot and cold...including Aimpoint...even before the EOtech fiasco a couple of years back...if I shot at severely different temps...I would confirm zero so it was really a none issue for me and never seen a change in zero from any optic throughout the year in MO.

Here are some good info on the new EOtechs:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/19/eotech-factory-tour-opens-its-doors-for-the-first-time-to-media/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/01/eotech-factory-tour-part-2/
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The new logo started in 2017...which had the thermal drift updates....in 2018...they released the updated more efficient battery circuitry with the new 10 year warranty.

Just to be clear...ALL weapon sights will have thermal dift issues when exposed to extreme hot and cold...including Aimpoint...even before the EOtech fiasco a couple of years back...if I shot at severely different temps...I would confirm zero so it was really a none issue for me and never seen a change in zero from any optic throughout the year in MO.

Here are some good info on the new EOtechs:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/19/eotech-factory-tour-opens-its-doors-for-the-first-time-to-media/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/01/eotech-factory-tour-part-2/
View Quote
There is actually even more improvements than that with the new logo sights. Unfortunately right now the only way you can get the briefing on the updated specs if you are LE/MIL/FED but I suspect in the future all updated info will be released to the public.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...you can get the briefing on the updated specs if you are LE/MIL/FED...
View Quote
Is that something they can forward in an email?
Can you recommend a contact at L3?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is that something they can forward in an email?
Can you recommend a contact at L3?

Thanks for your input.
View Quote
Unfortunately not. Be patient, the info will eventually hit the public. All I can really say is you have to remember there is a LOT of red tape when your main business is being a DOD contractor and they are currently 100% focused on making the best possible optic that can be built, rather than being concerned with shouting it form the rooftops.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump...I'm very interested in the details as well. I'm very close to ordering 518 or EXPS2 but with better battery life. 2500 hours with AA doesn't seem too bad.

I tried it at the LGS and liked it better than Aimpoint PRO / M5.
My eyes are bad and the red dot in Aimpoint looks like a slash (/) to me, just like the old ML2 I had many years ago.

EOTech reticle looked clear to my eyes so that is what I'm going with. Really liked how the reticle looked after being magnified as well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quit overthinking it. Just FO.

EOTech is GTG. I had them update an older one in 2017 and just recently bought a new EXPS. Both have less parallax than my MRO and Aimpoints and have never lost zero.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GarandThumb has confirmed it.

and SOCOM chose EOTech again in 2018 with a large contract for their sights as they beat out others during the latest testing with the improved EOtech sights as reported by Soldier Systems.

TFB also reported on it during their factory tour of EOtech.
View Quote
This.

SOF and other units actually never stopped using them.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/09/29/ussocom-replaces-eotech-sights-with-eotech-sights/
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#18]
But they all still have nitrogen purge issues and delamination. All four of mine did
This is the biggest issue with them and they have yet to do anything to fix this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quit overthinking it. Just FO.

EOTech is GTG. I had them update an older one in 2017 and just recently bought a new EXPS. Both have less parallax than my MRO and Aimpoints and have never lost zero.
View Quote
It's not even close on parallax anymore. Mount any other red dot sight in front of, or behind an EOTech and run both reticles to the same POI and move your head around. The difference is substantial and to the RDS guys, its fake news.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But they all still have nitrogen purge issues and delamination. All four of mine did
This is the biggest issue with them and they have yet to do anything to fix this.
View Quote
You shouldn't...that was fixed sometime around after August 2014 I believe....
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's not even close on parallax anymore. Mount any other red dot sight in front of, or behind an EOTech and run both reticles to the same POI and move your head around. The difference is substantial and to the RDS guys, its fake news.
View Quote
Everyone seems to be so hung up on battery life...its really a stupid argument...just change the battery...even when I ran Aimpoints...I would change out batteries annually...EOtechs every 6 months...not a big deal (if you can't afford $10 worth of batteries every year...you have bigger problems than battery life).

But parallax is a huge deal (contrary to people online)...just proves that even after the eotech mess...USSOCOM still picked it over all the other red dots that were entered...proves that thermal drift is now on par with all of them after the new logo revisions...but tactical ninja warriors will still bash EOtech no matter what...

Another huge benefit of EOtech is the image behind the magnifier...the 1 moa dot is still a 1 moa dot...a 2 MOA red dot (AP/MRO etc) will be at 6 moa and not crisp...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't believe it. Eventually the seals will leak and recticle fade, like on my 557.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Everyone seems to be so hung up on battery life...its really a stupid argument...just change the battery...even when I ran Aimpoints...I would change out batteries annually...EOtechs every 6 months...not a big deal (if you can't afford $10 worth of batteries every year...you have bigger problems than battery life).

But parallax is a huge deal (contrary to people online)...just proves that even after the eotech mess...USSOCOM still picked it over all the other red dots that were entered...proves that thermal drift is now on par with all of them after the new logo revisions...but tactical ninja warriors will still bash EOtech no matter what...

Another huge benefit of EOtech is the image behind the magnifier...the 1 moa dot is still a 1 moa dot...a 2 MOA red dot (AP/MRO etc) will be at 6 moa and not crisp...
View Quote
what the hell are you talking about? A 2 MOA dot is still 2 MOA under a magnifier. Its not just the dot thats magnified the target and everything else is too. The size of the dot relative to the target is the same. Ill agree on the crispness bit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I emailed them
2500 hours battery life is true and began with 2017 models
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

what the hell are you talking about? A 2 MOA dot is still 2 MOA under a magnifier. Its not just the dot thats magnified the target and everything else is too. The size of the dot relative to the target is the same. Ill agree on the crispness bit.
View Quote
A regular red dot under a magnifier...you are correct...magnifies the background and the red dot so if you have a 2MOA dot with a 3x...your dot is now covering 6MOA....on the EOtech...it does not....the 1 MOA center dot remains 1 MOA under 3X, 4X, 5X....100X.

Here is an article for your enjoyment...it talks about it: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/red-dots-vs-holographic-sights/

but...I went ahead and copy/pasted the info for you:

Magnification

Both red dots and holographic sights can have magnifiers in front of them (Best 3x Magnifiers).

Remember that EOTech’s center dot is 1 MOA while red dots can only get down to 2 MOA?

When you put a magnifier in front of a 2 MOA red dot…it now becomes 6 MOA.

Here’s an example with a 4 MOA red dot that becomes 12 MOA when magnified.  But you get the picture…it covers more of the target.

My real life test…(shows a pic in the article)

Which does show the holographic reticle a bit smaller than the red dot.

Now get ready to get your mind blown…when you magnify the EOTech…the 1 MOA dot stays the same.

The smallest light the human eye can see is 1 MOA.  But with holographic technology the dot is actually super small (microns).

When you magnify something tiny…it’s still tiny.  And so our eyes still see it as 1 MOA.

That’s why you can put any magnifier in front of a holographic sight and it still shows up 1 MOA.

Winner in Magnification: Holographic

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Lots of bull and fans making excuses and unsubstantiated claims in this thread.

Fact is there is zero proof the new design has fixed the inherent problems. None. I don’t care what eotech says, I don’t trust a word they say.

And yes, lots of tier one groups switched over to different sights. Just because a couple haven’t doesn’t mean anything.

I mean use common sense and not emotions. The god damn things STILL have the main issues they always had, delam and nitrogen purge.

Why anyone would trust these when there are plenty of other options out there is beyond me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, it wasn’t. You’re quite the fan/excuse maker for eotech. Why?   It’s beton disputable. They have problems on their problems and like to lie about them instead of fixing them. And why?  Because fixing them takes a full blow redesign of the internals. And that’s per their words in the court documents. Not mine. Not a guess. Not an assumption.

And the real world confirms. Go look at the eotech problems thread proved it. Google search proves it.

I mean this isn’t even up for debate. It’s silly to even try. Totally outs those who do as blind witnesses.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, it wasn’t. You’re quite the fan/excuse maker for eotech. Why?   It’s beton disputable. They have problems on their problems and like to lie about them instead of fixing them. And why?  Because fixing them takes a full blow redesign of the internals. And that’s per their words in the court documents. Not mine. Not a guess. Not an assumption.

And the real world confirms. Go look at the eotech problems thread proved it. Google search proves it.

I mean this isn’t even up for debate. It’s silly to even try. Totally outs those who do as blind witnesses.
View Quote
Yeah EOtech sucks....that is why USSOCOM awarded them another big contract...even after the lawsuit...they wouldn't have won it AGAIN if the sights sucked (especially knowing that the previous issues needed to be tested to assure they dont have the problems)...go troll somewhere else...

Secondly...not a brand fan to any brand...I've ran all...Aimpoint, Trijicon, Vortex, Schmidth and Bender, Meopta...etc etc...as far as 1x goes...for me...EOtech is it...never had a problem...never had an issue...its near parallax free...and works really well with magnifiers...so because I like EOtech that makes me a bad person...shut your face...seriously...people can like or dislike a product...I can like EOtech all I want...there is NOTHING you can do about.

There are a lot of things that are a plus with an EOtech for ME (and others)...given the history I've had with them...I'll continue to use them. You don't have to...no one is making you....some of you sound like liberal snowflakes...my way or else...get a grip.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A regular red dot under a magnifier...you are correct...magnifies the background and the red dot so if you have a 2MOA dot with a 3x...your dot is now covering 6MOA....on the EOtech...it does not....the 1 MOA center dot remains 1 MOA under 3X, 4X, 5X....100X.

Here is an article for your enjoyment...it talks about it: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/red-dots-vs-holographic-sights/

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/3x-Magnification-Red-Dot-vs-Holographic.png
View Quote
Actually saw this side-by-side at local gun shop with a 3x magnifier. The difference was staggering - this and the crisp dot image are two reasons I'm thinking about EOTech, above all.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Nitrogen purge has been fixed

Does it still happen every now and then for people. MAYBE. But nothing is perfect 100% of the time
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Does it still happen every now and then for people. MAYBE. But nothing is perfect 100% of the time
View Quote
I still have a 2016 exps3 model that that has been back twice because of this. Still issues. True story.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Bummer man. Sry to hear this

Maybe it was after 2017 they fixed it?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This. Lots of bull and fans making excuses and unsubstantiated claims in this thread.

Fact is there is zero proof the new design has fixed the inherent problems. None. I don’t care what eotech says, I don’t trust a word they say.

And yes, lots of tier one groups switched over to different sights. Just because a couple haven’t doesn’t mean anything.

I mean use common sense and not emotions. The god damn things STILL have the main issues they always had, delam and nitrogen purge.

Why anyone would trust these when there are plenty of other options out there is beyond me.
View Quote
But you trust Aimpoint that will tell you they have no thermal drift and are parallax free?
Cool.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#34]
^^^ right.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is true.

However with the Eotechs, having it filled with nitrogen is absolutely crucial to it's operation.

To me this seems like a serious design flaw.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

But you trust Aimpoint that will tell you they have no thermal drift and are parallax free?
Cool.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top