Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2018 5:08:57 PM EDT
What do you have on yours that has a BDC that works?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t own one but have been thinking about the Primary Arms 1-6x with .22lr specific reticle for my 15-22.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t own one but have been thinking about the Primary Arms 1-6x with .22lr specific reticle for my 26-32.
View Quote
Came here to say this. I believe they have a cheaper 6 x fixed as well
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What do you have on yours that has a BDC that works?
View Quote
OP, you need to measure your rifle & ammo muzzle velocity first.   Then go to a ballistic calculator, like JBM Ballistics website, and use their trajectory calculator to determine what YOUR bullet drop with your rifle will be.

That gives you the Bullet Drop Compensation data for your rifle to compare to the optic manufactures claim for their BDC.

Be aware, muzzle velocity data from bullet manufacturers are probably from a long barrel rifle.    That's because that long barrel will result in a higher velocity.    If you have a shorter barrel, you may be seeing up to 200 fps slower velocity and that will change your ballistic drop a lot.

One way to overcome small differences in drop between YOUR bullet and scope compensation is to increase the distance at which you zero.  Rerun the JBM calculator with longer zeros until it matches the scope BDC data.

When I was going thru this process, I had to call the scope manufacturers customer service number in order to get the BDC drop data.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info Big Kahuna. Lots of good advice. I was just hoping that someone had the same rifle and, found a good set up that worked for them.
I should have stated type of ammo as well. I know I'm being lazy but, I had hoped someone with the right equipment had done the research
and was willing to share.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top