Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2021 8:26:43 PM EDT
So I had several Type 4s today, couldn't get the charging handle back after a failure to fire and had to mortar it.
PSA upper and lower, reloaded ammo. Each time was after firing multiple rounds, ie. wasn't that I pussey'd the handle on charging it.
Problem I:
    Primers on those several rounds were dimpled but no ignition. After clearing it I loaded those rounds a second time, they both fired. Sellier & Bellot (Zapalky) primers.

Problem II:
    The type 4 malfunctions. My reloaded rounds were once-fired casings that had been sized with an RCBS Small Base X-die. They all passed muster in a Wilson case gauge and a Lyman case gauge. So I don't think they were bulged. Were definitely not over-long

I then tried factory ammunition. All rounds fired, but if I tried to eject a round without firing it, the charging handle was stuck. But the rounds would still fire normally and the rifle cycled and chambered the next round.

The AR15 is relatively new, probably has about 500 rounds through it, and maybe 250 since cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Chamber doesn't match your bullets or they are loaded too long.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I would check headspace.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Having to mortar unfired rounds to free them from the chamber is always caused by ammunition headspace problems.

You need to bump the shoulder another .003"+ on your brass in order to get the clearance needed for reliable feeding and extraction.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all.  First I'll throw out the Lyman case gauge and keep the Wilson. Then I've got some re-reloading to do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If you cannot manually cycle quality factory ammo, you may have a chamber problem. If it's a factory built PSA upper, I would contact them. You can also go to their ar15.com Industry page, Industry - PSA. Josiah is their rep and would be more than willing to help.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I then tried factory ammunition. All rounds fired, but if I tried to eject a round without firing it, the charging handle was stuck. But the rounds would still fire normally and the rifle cycled and chambered the next round.

The AR15 is relatively new, probably has about 500 rounds through it, and maybe 250 since cleaning.
View Quote
Something is wrong.  You should be able to eject unfired factory rounds without any problems.
I recommend cleaning the rifle and then lubing the bolt carrier group especially the cam pin and bolt lugs.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top