Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2020 6:50:25 PM EDT
I probably shot this carrier a total of 60 rounds. Cleaned it and put it in my parts bin in the same place that all my other spare carriers are and hadn't touched it until a few days ago. None of the other carriers have this issue and it looks very brand new. I'm wondering if this strange wear is corrosion, milling marks, or something else.

I never noticed this when I got it, but I never inspected it previously.  There is zero wear anywhere on the carrier and it is DLC coating (looks brand spanking new). It's in a weird area too. I have 3 of these carriers and this is one of the ones that looks funny to me. Now looking at some of the "inner" area of the carrier, I can see machining marks all over and discoloration that might be due to the ionbonding (purple, reddish-orange but not rust looking). The other carrier don't have this either.

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I may be wrong but that's not actually a bearing surface on the carrier.

I'm gonna say it's leftover from the forging process and is an area that doesn't receive much if any machining.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If its ionbonded/DLC then it likely was like that when you got it.  Unless its got a rough edge I wouldn't worry about it
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top