Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2022 7:17:31 PM EDT
Picked these oddly colored mags up today.  

One has OD green metal showing from under the grey teflon, which now only exists between the mag grooves. The other is showing bronze metal under the grey teflon. Bronze is marked 6-91. Both have black followers.

Can anyone tell me anything about these? Never seen or even heard of them before.

Left to right: OD Adventure Line mag, Regular Okay mag for comparison, Bronze Okay mag.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Can’t see anything
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some of those from a Marine corp training range. They were some typical contract mags. I forget the maker of mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#4]
1991 isn't retro?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1991 isn't retro?
View Quote

Retro means Vietnam era here because definitions don't mean anything anymore.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to say Cooper mags with black followers back then they are just typical wear AR 15 mags in the USMC back then I never saw a new mag ever! These are what I would have been issued with a shiney old A2 shiney because the weapons finish wore off to match the mags!
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1991 isn't retro?
View Quote

Our pronouns are "pre-A2 / Vietnam"

They're neat mags anyways.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want to say Cooper mags with black followers back then they are just typical wear AR 15 mags in the USMC back then I never saw a new mag ever! These are what I would have been issued with a shiney old A2 shiney because the weapons finish wore off to match the mags!
View Quote

It was always said (back in the 80’s) the marines got what army threw out. Had a friend who was a grunt in Vietnam in 1968. He was issued a M16 with a bowed barrel. It wouldn’t shoot straight and went through the battle of Hue with it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It was always said (back in the 80’s) the marines got what army threw out. Had a friend who was a grunt in Vietnam in 1968. He was issued a M16 with a bowed barrel. It wouldn’t shoot straight and went through the battle of Hue with it.
View Quote

No no… that was a design feature to shoot around the citadel walls and stay behind cover.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The bronze hue is simply the effect of the anodizing process on the base material.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The bronze hue is simply the effect of the anodizing process on the base material.
View Quote

Yup. I've got a bunch of them. I think it looks badass. Too bad they don't make them like that anymore.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Our pronouns are "pre-A2 / Vietnam"

They're neat mags anyways.
View Quote

Omg, that is hilarious
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Retro means Vietnam era here because definitions don't mean anything anymore.
View Quote

So a new made receiver would not be retro even though it's marked to look like one made back in the Vietnam era.
A Colt SP1 made after 1975(end of Vietnam era) also wouldn't be retro.
A new made 1/12 twist A1 profile barrel would not be retro.

Funny all these are mentioned on the retro forum quite a bit and the retro forum police never say anything about it.

Weird. And this directed at Pothole. It's direct at the retro forum policeman that could have just said you might get better answers on the magazine forum.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So a new made receiver would not be retro even though it's marked to look like one made back in the Vietnam era.
A Colt SP1 made after 1975(end of Vietnam era) also wouldn't be retro.
A new made 1/12 twist A1 profile barrel would not be retro.

Funny all these are mentioned on the retro forum quite a bit and the retro forum police never say anything about it.

Weird. And this directed at Pothole. It's direct at the retro forum policeman that could have just said you might get better answers on the magazine forum.
View Quote

A while back there was some hubbub about changing the Retro forum name to A1, since we have an A2 section, or grouping A1 and A2 into one since the A2 forum is slower. Nothing came of it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I know some would have heartburn if they did merged the Retro and A2 forums together, but IMHO, the A2 is just as retro as the A1 and earlier versions.

The A2 were fielded in the mid 1980s, which close to 40 years ago, which is pretty freaking retro to me.

I enlisted in the Army back in 1980 and over the following 30 years, I was issued everything from the M16A1, M16A2, M203, M4, M3A1, M1911A1 and the M9.  Excluding the M4 and M9, everything I carried in the past is now retro.

Speaking about retro, I wish somebody would make a M3A1 .45 pistol and a 9mm pistol copy of the S&W’s Model 76…. Would love to see the new H&R do this since these two “pistols” would go hand and hand with any retro AR rifle. Plus, they’re simple stamped metal and blow-back designs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Have some with the same wear & color..those were the ones issued to my father.. they’re from the early 80s.. i guess exposure to UV and/or chemicals may have played a role as well
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top