Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2021 12:56:28 PM EDT
I bought an A2 complete upper from a bargain brand whose name I will not reveal so as not to prejudice. I'm pretty sure it's mil-spec top to bottom. Got a great deal even for this brand, so I'm not inclined to bitch.

BUT, the BCG... It's a phosphate job, carpenter 158 bolt, chrome lined carrier and key, permatex leaking a bit out the side (like I said, all mil-spec), staking is there but not great, but look at the key... Rust or oxidation of some kind, or at least a not-great coating.

These pics are bone-dry, right out of the upper.

In the board's humble opinion is this BCG in acceptable condition? I vaguely recall people saying this brand of screws are a giveaway slash red flag, too...

Should I clean and dry this and soak it in CLP and give it a run, or demand a replacement?

upload pic

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks fine to me. Hell, it looks better than brand new BCMs.

I'd try it out and see how it functions. I'm sure it's perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought some older surplus Colt BCG with more rust and carbon buildup. Not the prettiest but just clean it and keep it oiled and it'll be fine. Nothing wrong with it. The staking leaves more to be desired but if it was torqued correctly I think it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll never understand why people obsess over things like this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
you got what you paid for
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you got what you paid for
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

One vote for "acceptable". Thanks man!
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Send it to SOTAR along with a fine toothed comb.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#11]
That bolt carrier looks to have been abrasive blasted, and has a textured surface on the rails that support it in the upper.

I would not run that in an aluminum upper, without either coating it with something like KG GunKote, or at least polishing them with 600 grit paper, although that will possibly widen the clearance between it, and the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I've gotten YFS screws in lots of quality components.  I just got and ADM mount that came with them. I think they're fine.

Throw some oil on it and shoot it and see what happens. That will tell you a lot more than a few pictures can.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Clean the sealant off, and shoot it . . .
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've gotten YFS screws in lots of quality components.  I just got and ADM mount that came with them. I think they're fine.
View Quote

only screw ive ever had to use a stripped screw grabber bit for were the YfS that ADM uses. i took extra care as soon as i saw those 3 letters and one of em still disintegrated when i went to change mounts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
and on mil spec's, there is not sealing agent used between the key and carrier, since the spec is to have these parts flat, so they self seal against each other.
View Quote

Curious as to this statement....

The Mil Spec calls for the gas key bottom surface to be sealed with Permatex Aviation sealant, (#3, IIRC?) Every USGI carrier key that I've owned has it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Mil Spec calls for the gas key bottom surface to be sealed with Permatex Aviation sealant, (#3, IIRC?) Every USGI carrier key that I've owned has it.
View Quote

New production requires it per the manufacturer's  drawings.

Repairs do not require it per the repair drawings.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought that to be the case, thank you.

Test fire after field repair with ball or blank ammo to confirm seal. (I do not recall the round count, but 7-8 sounds right)?

Eta: *3 -8 rds test fire blank or ball per the TM.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top