Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2020 1:07:50 PM EDT
Per the title, the weaver tactical 1-5x24 has recently come to my attention due to the other weaver tactical spr optic thread and it seems like a old hidden gem. It's made in light optic works japan, only roughly 17.9 ounces, daylight bright FFP, fantastic eye relief and generally agreed to be a tank.

Anyone still have one? Anyone have one and miss it?

I pre ordered a primary arms 1-8x24 FFP, but I have no idea when that'll truly show up with Chinora virus and as it is made in China, as opposed to light optic works japan, I'm thinking the weaver will have better glass by default (no offense meant to primary arms). Also,  can get the weaver right now as far as I can tell, as opposed to 2nd quarter 2020 at the soonest for the raptor acss.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used a variety of Weaver scopes over the last 40 years or so. They have always been well built, and on a par with anything else in their respective price and power ranges. Never ever had to send one in for repair either. I do have an older 3/4 inch tube fixed 3 power that had lens fogging in it. When I was learning to be a gunsmith, I took it completely apart and rebuilt and reblued it. That scope has been on my M39 Marlin since 1984. Killed a megaton of squirrel and tin cans over the years.

I have heard of people having some problems with Weavers from the 1990s and early 2000s but have never actually encountered one that didn't work as designed. I love Primary Arms, and own several of their RDS units. Can't speak to their scopes, and their reticles are generally a little too busy for my liking, but have always heard good things about them. (Company and products)

I would like as not lean towards the Weavers given my past history with them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used a variety of Weaver scopes over the last 40 years or so. They have always been well built, and on a par with anything else in their respective price and power ranges. Never ever had to send one in for repair either. I do have an older 3/4 inch tube fixed 3 power that had lens fogging in it. When I was learning to be a gunsmith, I took it completely apart and rebuilt and reblued it. That scope has been on my M39 Marlin since 1984. Killed a megaton of squirrel and tin cans over the years.

I have heard of people having some problems with Weavers from the 1990s and early 2000s but have never actually encountered one that didn't work as designed. I love Primary Arms, and own several of their RDS units. Can't speak to their scopes, and their reticles are generally a little too busy for my liking, but have always heard good things about them. (Company and products)

I would like as not lean towards the Weavers given my past history with them.
View Quote
Thank you for reply and the vote of confidence in the weaver line
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Found the weaver 1-5x24 for a pretty good price plus 10% off coupon discount and ordered it from natchez.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Had one. Good glass but just too dang heavy. Sold it. I think they are even heavier than the vortex razor and viper pst II, which I have now. Didn't really feel the need for FFP in such a low power scope.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Had one. Good glass but just too dang heavy. Sold it. I think they are even heavier than the vortex razor and viper pst II, which I have now. Didn't really feel the need for FFP in such a low power scope.
View Quote
Weird, the weaver tactical 1-5x24 is about 17.9 ounces according to amazon review and this forum, whereas the viper pst gen 2 1-6x24 is 22.7 ounces according to vortex.

Glad to hear the glass is good though, and thank you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The glass that is in Weaver Tactical line is the same as my NF NXS...
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I never actually had anything to weigh it with but it felt heavier than what they claimed. It felt top heavy on the rifle.

The turret caps have spaces for extra batteries so that is nice
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The glass that is in Weaver Tactical line is the same as my NF NXS...
View Quote
If true, then I think I got a screaming deal at $514 all said and done. Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I never actually had anything to weigh it with but it felt heavier than what they claimed. It felt top heavy on the rifle.

The turret caps have spaces for extra batteries so that is nice
View Quote
Weaver has it listed at 14.46 ounces. That took me by surprise when I first looked at their tactical line, but after researching a bit, I found that they're weight spec is wrong. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking it's damned heavy when they've been told it's supposed to be 14 ounces.

That's cool to know about that caps, usually it's only one spare under one cap if any.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If true, then I think I got a screaming deal at $514 all said and done. Thank you.
View Quote
Yup it is. The Weaver Tactical lenses get sourced from the same place as NF.

My 2-10X36 is the same clarity and sharpness as my NF NXS was.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!

Come on already, fedex!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Scope arrived today. Love it so far. Super bright red and green illumination. Glass looks clear. But I must admit that it's night out, so tomorrow and especially the next day I have off will tell the real tale.

For the record, it weighs 17.7 ounces on the wife's kitchen scale.
9.5" long with the diopter fully cranked down
10" long with diopter fully extended
1-5x24, Made in Japan and serial numbers lasered on the underside.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got a couple of the 2-10x36 models. I'm very happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Aero precision 30mm ultralight extended mount weighs 3.4 ounces on the kitchen scale.

Weaver 1-5x24 in aero ultralight extended mount weighs 21.1 ounces total.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Got pics of your rifle?

Here is one of mine on my trunk SBR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#17]
One big issue with Weaver, is that the warranty only applies to original owner.   This is bad if you want to buy preowned but also if you ever want to sell.  Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got pics of your rifle?

Here is one of mine on my trunk SBR.
https://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=86278
View Quote
Literally just finished putting it together. Still undecided on the muzzle device. I have my eye on the griffin hammer comp.

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice rifle!

Nice floor too
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice rifle!

Nice floor too
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One big issue with Weaver, is that the warranty only applies to original owner.   This is bad if you want to buy preowned but also if you ever want to sell.  Just something to consider.
View Quote
I'm ok with my kids forging my name for the warranty after they inherit it.

But thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#22]
A nice touch is the magnification ring has one large .25" raised protrusion and two smaller .125" ones an inch to either side of it in addition to regular jimping around the entire ring. So just about anywhere you grab it, despite what magnification it's on, you're going to get a stump for extra leverage.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a total of 3 weaver tacticals, but not the 1-5. Compared to just about everyone else, they're heavy but tough and the glass is good. For the price, they're really good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much every scope from every major brand is made by JOL/hakko/lightoptics out of there factories in Japan, Philippines or China

On the 1-5x Jap line, the Riton was generally the cheapest (had them on Woot/Amazon) for $209 a month ago but you can still get them for $350.  They have the 1-4x version with Japanese glass not but final assembly for $109 still.   Its very similar to the Super Sniper 1-4x in construction but with with capped knobs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a total of 3 weaver tacticals, but not the 1-5. Compared to just about everyone else, they're heavy but tough and the glass is good. For the price, they're really good.
View Quote
I thought only the Leupolds were noticeably lighter than the Weaver 1-5x?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Picture confirmation of scope in aero ultralight extended 30mm mount 21.1 ounce weight.

Scope in mount with scope caps is 21.7 ounces

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Does the illumination bleed out the optic in low light?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Now fill the turret caps up with batteries and bam, heavyweight scope. Thanks for the clarification on the weight. The manufacture's listed weight was off on the spec list but no one cared to actually weigh one in a review.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does the illumination bleed out the optic in low light?
View Quote
Not exactly sure what you mean.

Do you mean is the illuminated reticle visible through the objective lens in low light?

Or do you mean does the illumination bleed outside the reticle lines at brighter illumination settings or in low light?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Now fill the turret caps up with batteries and bam, heavyweight scope. Thanks for the clarification on the weight. The manufacture's listed weight was off on the spec list but no one cared to actually weigh one in a review.
View Quote
Two more cr2032s should only add about .2 more ounces to my knowledge.

And no problem, I hate trying to look crap up and finding contradictory information.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I like my Weaver 2-10X36 so much that I snapped up a Weaver 1-7 DFP of eBay for a great price today.

These optics while an oldie...offer NF NXS level clarity, tracking with some simple reticle mil reticle designs...can't wait to try out the dual focal plane of the 1-7 with the 4 MOA dot at 1X...
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one of the 3-15x50 illuminated models and love it. It rides on my 6.5 grendal right now, but will likely be moving over to my 6.5 crede when it is done. The whole tactical line was highly underrated.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I like my Weaver 2-10X36 so much that I snapped up a Weaver 1-7 DFP of eBay for a great price today.

These optics while an oldie...offer NF NXS level clarity, tracking with some simple reticle mil reticle designs...can't wait to try out the dual focal plane of the 1-7 with the 4 MOA dot at 1X...
View Quote
I did a half hearted search for the 1-7 but came up short everywhere and the 1-5's weight initially, though wrong on weaver's site, and currently good availablitiy won me over.

Also, in your post before this one, you asked about illumination bleeding out. Did you mean is the illuminated reticle visible through the objective lens in low light? 

Or did you mean does the illumination bleed outside the reticle lines at brighter illumination settings or in low light?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have one of the 3-15x50 illuminated models and love it. It rides on my 6.5 grendal right now, but will likely be moving over to my 6.5 crede when it is done. The whole tactical line was highly underrated.
View Quote
Yeah, they really do seem like they were too far ahead of their time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I did a half hearted search for the 1-7 but came up short everywhere and the 1-5's weight initially, though wrong on weaver's site, and currently good availablitiy won me over.

Also, in your post before this one, you asked about illumination bleeding out. Did you mean is the illuminated reticle visible through the objective lens in low light? 

Or did you mean does the illumination bleed outside the reticle lines at brighter illumination settings or in low light?
View Quote
On my 2-10X36 when I turn the illumination on in low light it lights up the whole tube (red not as much, green more so).
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
On my 2-10X36 when I turn the illumination on in low light it lights up the whole tube (red not as much, green more so).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At setting 5 out of 5 for both green and red, yes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At setting 5 for both green and red, yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At setting 5 for both green and red, yes.
To clarify, this is normal a possible inherent issue(?) for a first focal plane scope, especially a bright one at the highest setting(s), as the illumination is on the objective end as opposed to the occular end, thus having a whole tube to reflect illumination between the reticle and your eye.

Turning down the brightness gets rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

To clarify, this is normal for a first focal plane scope, especially a bright one at the highest setting(s), as the illumination is on the objective end as opposed to the occular end, thus having a whole tube to reflect illumination between the reticle and your eye.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/sc/67522d8b-5000-47ca-89e3-486cf60afe9e.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

View Quote
Weaver Tactical 3-15 FFP (Japan). Anything above setting 5 and the tube lit up from the rear (ocular) of the scope AND the objective would bleed out a ton of light. Red or Green. Also didn't like the eye box at any magnification of the scope. Very tight on any mag from 3-15. Reticle bleeds out lots of light as well.

Vortex Viper PST2 3-15 FFP and 2-10 FFP (PHL) - light doesn't fill the tube from the ocular perspective on high illumination, but does bleed out a lot light through the objective anything above setting 7 which happens to be very bright for an FFP.

Burris XTR II 3-15 and 2-10 FFP (PHL) - On setting of 10, no light bleeds out of the objective nor does any light fill the tube from the ocular perspective. I have no idea how Burris does this, but its pretty amazing to have a scope on max brightness and not have light leaking out everywhere. While the glass quality is not as good as the above, and they're heavy pigs, the scope is amazing quality and built like a tank. Illumination is about half as bright as a PST2 on all settings.

Burris XTR II 1-5 and 1-8 RFPs (PHL and Japan) - Again on their higher to highest settings. The scopes do not fill up the tube with light from the ocular nor do they bleed out light from the objective while on setting 10 - nuclear bright. Again, I have no idea how Burris accomplishes this with reticle illumination that is nuclear bright.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Burris would also have a winner at their hands if they could only manage to but nicer glass in their optics...does it really matter to 90% of firearm owners...nope.

In ways, for my eyes, I prefer a bit tighter eyebox than some...I haven't used the 3-15 Weaver but the 2-10 is forgiving below 10X and at 10X it gets a little tight...

One thing I've noticed trying out a lot of optics the last few years that a tighter than normal eyebox is present on optics with 5x or higher zoom ratio....I guess it is the byproduct of having more versatility.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Weaver Tactical 3-15 FFP (Japan). Anything above setting 5 and the tube lit up from the rear (ocular) of the scope AND the objective would bleed out a ton of light. Red or Green. Also didn't like the eye box at any magnification of the scope. Very tight on any mag from 3-15. Reticle bleeds out lots of light as well.

Vortex Viper PST2 3-15 FFP and 2-10 FFP (PHL) - light doesn't fill the tube from the ocular perspective on high illumination, but does bleed out a lot light through the objective anything above setting 7 which happens to be very bright for an FFP.

Burris XTR II 3-15 and 2-10 FFP (PHL) - On setting of 10, no light bleeds out of the objective nor does any light fill the tube from the ocular perspective. I have no idea how Burris does this, but its pretty amazing to have a scope on max brightness and not have light leaking out everywhere. While the glass quality is not as good as the above, and they're heavy pigs, the scope is amazing quality and built like a tank. Illumination is about half as bright as a PST2 on all settings.

Burris XTR II 1-5 and 1-8 RFPs (PHL and Japan) - Again on their higher to highest settings. The scopes do not fill up the tube with light from the ocular nor do they bleed out light from the objective while on setting 10 - nuclear bright. Again, I have no idea how Burris accomplishes this with reticle illumination that is nuclear bright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To clarify, this is normal for a first focal plane scope, especially a bright one at the highest setting(s), as the illumination is on the objective end as opposed to the occular end, thus having a whole tube to reflect illumination between the reticle and your eye.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/sc/67522d8b-5000-47ca-89e3-486cf60afe9e.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Thank you for this.

It seems weaver didn't use a matte or non reflective enough interior coating then. I only really had a problem with it  when I was in the garage with the lights off last night. Walking around inside the house with only a couple lights on was not an issue and as soon as I lit up the surefire it vanished, even while in the garage with the lights off.

I can live with it as the glass is really clear, and the daylight brightness as well as wml not being able to overpower it are more important to me and again, I can also turn down the brightness, and it goes away.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Burris would also have a winner at their hands if they could only manage to but nicer glass in their optics...does it really matter to 90% of firearm owners...nope.

In ways, for my eyes, I prefer a bit tighter eyebox than some...I haven't used the 3-15 Weaver but the 2-10 is forgiving below 10X and at 10X it gets a little tight...

One thing I've noticed trying out a lot of optics the last few years that a tighter than normal eyebox is present on optics with 5x or higher zoom ratio....I guess it is the byproduct of having more versatility.
View Quote
There is another member here, darklordofoptics or something along those lines I believe, that has a video explaining your last paragragh, which basically comes down to construction if I'm remembering correctly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Got my 1-7 Weaver...dang...such a nice piece of glass...1X has absolutely zero fish eye or distortion (not many 1X LPVOs can truly achieve that)...love the dual focal plane setup...4 MOA dot is very usable and clean...better than most red dots themselves...lol....the illumination settings have off click between each setting...11 brightness...6/7 is daylight visible

It is made by LOW (good thing), the turrets seem a lot more tactile and no slop than a Trijicon Accupowers/Accupoints I had. Again...the glass is NF NXS level...I think I am going to snatch up these old Weaver Tactical optics as I find them...truly they have impressed me...at the price levels you can find them used...there isnt anything better in my opinion....
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Got my 1-7 Weaver...dang...such a nice piece of glass...1X has absolutely zero fish eye or distortion (not many 1X LPVOs can truly achieve that)...love the dual focal plane setup...4 MOA dot is very usable and clean...better than most red dots themselves...lol....the illumination settings have off click between each setting...11 brightness...6/7 is daylight visible

It is made by LOW (good thing), the turrets seem a lot more tactile and no slop than a Trijicon Accupowers/Accupoints I had. Again...the glass is NF NXS level...I think I am going to snatch up these old Weaver Tactical optics as I find them...truly they have impressed me...at the price levels you can find them used...there isnt anything better in my opinion....
View Quote
That's great to hear! I would love to look through one of those 1-7s.

I've fooled around with optics in the mid and low price tiers. Japan an PHL.... never had my hands on any pricier Euro Glass to compare to.

And to the poster above about Burris glass. 100% agree with that. If they had put a little bit better glass in their XTR II series it would blow everything in its price tier out of the water. With the 2-10s and 3-15s the Chromatic Aberration was just a little too much for my f'd up eyes. Love their LPVO products.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
None issue...Bushnell didn't care...
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For future reference, how does this work exactly? If I needed to, am I supposed to contact weaver, or bushnell for warranty?
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

For future reference, how does this work exactly? If I needed to, am I supposed to contact weaver, or bushnell for warranty?
View Quote
Bushnell service website.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I had one once, along with a 3-15. I still kick myself for selling them. They are both rock solid.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top