Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2022 10:09:39 PM EDT
What is a good mid/high tier weapon light thats not several hundred dollars?
Trying to keep it no more than $200.

I have the new Inforce light with an IR light as well but everyone says its shit and last night while searching for coyotes on my property i learned why its shit.

So i need a new light, Id like one that takes a battey thats "common" for WMLs like how most red dots like cr2032. I dont NEED the IR option.

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
you can get X300s for really close to that on sale.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Curious, can you describe what you experienced with the Inforce light?  I had a couple of their WML models and had problems with them cutting out, poor battery contacts.  I switched to a Streamlight  TLR1 (under $150) and it's been 100%.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

He's right. I bought one from Midway about a year ago for $250. I was checking Midway daily for deals on a list of things I wanted. Also, I would buy only from a place that purchases directly from the manufacturer. There's a lot of Chinese copies out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Part 1: $114.40

Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2

Part 2:  $69.99

LCS For Streamlight

Part 3: Variable - if you already have a Pic rail section then you need to buy nothing, the Rail mount has a Pic adaptor. I went with an M-Lok side mount for an extra $40.

Side Scout Mount™ M-Lok

Grand Total: $224.39 w/M-Lok mount or $184.39 if you have a Pic rail section.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LCS For Streamlight

Part 3: Variable - if you already have a Pic rail section then you need to buy nothing, the Rail mount has a Pic adaptor. I went with an M-Lok side mount for an extra $40.

Side Scout Mount M-Lok

View Quote
this is the goto budget setup. for a bit more you can build a arisaka. and then surefire after that, and then modlite
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats what happened to me. I had the light on for about 5 seconds and it dimmed down then shut off. I pressed the button a few times and it came back on. Then it shut off again. It had a brand new battery in it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LCS For Streamlight

Side Scout Mount™ M-Lok

View Quote

This, or a Surefire G2X if you want a low navigation setting and/or American made.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
this is the goto budget setup. for a bit more you can build a arisaka. and then surefire after that, and then modlite
View Quote

For a bit more for an Arisaka is an understatement.  Configured the same as my Streamlight setup an Arisaka runs $398.00.  Sure it's a better light, but not that much better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I have never had any issues with my Streamlights.

I think i own 4 WMLs and 3 EDC lights and love em.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LCS For Streamlight

Side Scout Mount™ M-Lok

View Quote

I would suggest:

Part 2:

Unity Tactical Fusion M-LOK Adapter

Unity Tactical

Part 3:

Shaffer Pressure Switch Mount

Shaffer

These two small mounts tuck the Protac Rail Mount 2 and pressure switch in nice and tight, are less expensive and are high quality.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd go with an Arisaka 600 series with a Malkoff E2XT head. The thing is a beast at 500 lumens and 55,000 candela. That's even more throw than a Modlite PLHv2. Straight from Arisaka's website, it's $210. No sales tax and free shipping.

Then you could pick up a Surefire clicky tailcap for cheap on the EE. @WolfiePacker has one listed for $16 shipped right now. Additionally, he's always selling Arisaka/Malkoff lights for really good deals if you want to follow his listings on the EE.

Whatever you decide, just keep in mind that lumens doesn't really mean a whole lot. At least not as much as candela does, especially since you're needing distance to search for coyotes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I will be flamed for this but I picked up a Crimson Trace CWL-202 for 99.00 a few years back. I mounted it on a DD 300blk pistol. I have never had any problems with this light. P..S. it't 900 lumens
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd go with an Arisaka 600 series with a Malkoff E2XT head. The thing is a beast at 500 lumens and 55,000 candela. That's even more throw than a Modlite PLHv2. Straight from Arisaka's website, it's $210. No sales tax and free shipping.

Then you could pick up a Surefire clicky tailcap for cheap on the EE. @WolfiePacker has one listed for $16 shipped right now. Additionally, he's always selling Arisaka/Malkoff lights for really good deals if you want to follow his listings on the EE.

Whatever you decide, just keep in mind that lumens doesn't really mean a whole lot. At least not as much as candela does, especially since you're needing distance to search for coyotes.
View Quote

I like the new arisaka 18650 body. You can use the e2xt head or modlite plhv2/okw heads.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I like the new arisaka 18650 body. You can use the e2xt head or modlite plhv2/okw heads.
View Quote

I think they look better than the Modlite bodies also
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think they look better than the Modlite bodies also
View Quote

You can get the Arisaka 600 with the E2HT head, Surefire z68 clicky tail cap and Arisaka Offset Mlok Scout Mount for $235. That’s a pretty good deal. The E2HT is 500 lumens and 35,000 candela. For $30 more, you can get the E2XT head with 500 lumens and 55,000 candela.

IMO, that’s a pretty good deal. I think the E2HT is plenty candela for shots to at least 100 yds, probably more. If you think you’re going to make some 200 yard + shots in the dark, get the E2XT head for just $30 more.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought an Olight Odin Mini several months ago and have been pleased with it. Some may not like it because it’s rechargeable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I think this video is required watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izENSrB3pHI
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I put a TLR-7 on the front of my (full length) rail's picatinny and it's good to go. Tiny, bright, basically zero weight. Unless you're worried you'll accidently turn it on, it's a good solution for like 130 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This, or a Surefire G2X if you want a low navigation setting and/or American made.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I have several older Surefire 6Ps. I took one and put a Malkoff 325 lumen light in it, and put it in a LaRue QD mount. I don't like tape switches (which can snag on vegetation.) I mounted them on a Magpul MOE foregrip on the left side, all the way forward on the grip.  They are workhorse lights, and not near as expensive as some of the more "modern" stuff out there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m running Streamlight Pro Tac HL-X rail mount rifle light on all my rifles. I just picked up three from Optics Planet over Christmas for the last of my builds. They have a coupon right now that makes these lights $103 and it ships free.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:42:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I've used Sure Fire weapon lights for years.  Only con I found though with Sure Fire is the models I use only uses CR123 cells.  Other than that, I like the quality and warranty on them.

I have Sure Fire lights on my AR-15, Glock pistols, and shot gun.  I also carry Sure Fire in my pocket.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 Inforce WML's on my guns and they work great.

For close quarter situations they are just right for me and the company is incredible if you ever have an issue.

Now, for your specific purpose of looking for coyotes it may not have the throw you want.

I also own a surefire x300 and its a great light and does a decent job of providing spill and throw but I only like it on handguns.

There are tons of options here, but a light is not neccesarily shit if it does not perform optimally in one particular situation.

Lights can be a balancing act of throw vs spill, rechargeable vs primary batteries, runtime vs output, lightweight vs heavier, etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I consider those pistol lights for hard use rifles
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've used Sure Fire weapon lights for years.  Only con I found though with Sure Fire is the models I use only uses CR123 cells.  Other than that, I like the quality and warranty on them.

I have Sure Fire lights on my AR-15, Glock pistols, and shot gun.  I also carry Sure Fire in my pocket.
View Quote

All those lights and you can't spell the company name correctly. Its Surefire.

Op- i run streamlights on several weapons, love them. I have several Surefires as well, amd they are just as good (im told they are better, but for my purposes it wont be an issue)
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Your going to get a lot of steam lights. Take close look at the arisaka weapon lights you be glad you did
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Your going to get a lot of steam lights. Take close look at the arisaka weapon lights you be glad you did
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:42:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Streamlight hlx 1000 is the best light there is comparing dollar to performance. This is coming from someone who owns plenty of surfires.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a new outlook on this. You can piece together a top shelf light over a few checks instead of spending $200 on one low tier light. Get a scout body of whatever flavor you want (Modlite, Reptilia, Surefire, Arisaka, etc) , Modlite head, and then the Surefire cap and switch you prefer. You’ll have a lifetime light versus a “it’s okay for the money” light you’ll just upgrade down the road.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#31]
People tend to overdo it with weapon light intensity at the loss of battery life, length and weight.

The Streamlight Pro Tac lights are great for general use.  Maybe not as rugged as Surefire, but you are not likely to be sliding down mountain trails in Afghanistan or such.

I prefer the single battery Streamlight Pro Tac RM-1.  I run it in a Thorntail Scout mount.  Tape switch is on the top rail for ambi use. Plenty bright, shorter, les bulky.

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#32]
TLR for long gun
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:17:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No one should give those asshole fucks at modlite a dollar. Cloud is a better light anyway. Id run a fucking zippo duct taped to my gun before modlite.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No one should give those asshole fucks at modlite a dollar. Cloud is a better light anyway. Id run a fucking zippo duct taped to my gun before modlite.
View Quote

It's been like 9 months. Pretty sure he's settled on a light by now. Whether or not he bought it from assholes I have no clue, but it's too late to fix it now
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I’ve broken 2 WML Streamlights thru normal use (no abuse).  I have yet to break a SureFire.  StreamLight’s CS was awesome.  Repaired the first and sent parts for me to repair the second.

StreamLight is durable as you can see from this EDC handheld I use all the time (ALL kinds of conditions) but they’re not my first choice for a rifle…

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I ordered a couple of OLIGHT Odin Mini to try out on trainer guns.  I’m wanting cheaper lights for guns that I can see being hard use trainers.  Save the $300 SF for “when I need it”.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top