Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2021 11:44:14 AM EDT
I am playing around with hider options.  I put an A2 on and when I torqued it down it indexed without the need for a shim or washer.  That said, is a washer or shim a requirement to get proper tightness for real world use?  Any thoughts / advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I just tighten them down as to be not too tight as to distort the crush washer and keep it timed correctly
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
A crush washer also acts as a one-time lock washer. For timing shims (or nothing), I would use Rocksett to keep it from coming loose.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
From a strictly Mil SPec standpoint, the A2 flash hider torque spec is 15-20 ft/lbs. Mind you, it uses a peel washer... sort of a laminated shim pack, instead of a crush washer to time it. All of that said, if it will torque properly and time right, I don't see why it would be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
OK.  So is a crush washer or something a requirement or as I said can you get away without it if the hider indexes?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK.  So is a crush washer or something a requirement or as I said can you get away without it if the hider indexes?
View Quote

The crush washer is a tool to help index a MD.  If your MD indexes without the need for a crush washer, lucky you.  Carry on!
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
OK.  Cool and thank you all for taking the time to respond.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top