Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2023 8:12:54 AM EDT
I know that the Aimpoint M2 and M4 red dot sights were used on issued M16A2 rifles with a gooseneck mount on the carry handle but wanted to ask if anyone knew if the Aimpoint M4s would be "correct." I am trying to build an M16A2 and want to try and clone a late 2000's military issue rifle as close as possible. I already have a late-type gooseneck mount with the clamp. What was the most common optic to be issued on a gooseneck with these guns?

Also, does anyone know for sure if you can still see the iron sights of the rifle through an Aimpoint M4 on the gooseneck mounted without the spacer?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes…. Generally issued to second echelon troop and service support elements.

My wife is a prime example, she was issued an M16A2 with M68 on gooseneck.  Never left the weapons rack while she was in theatre.

18Z50
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for all the information. To be clear I am asking about the Aimpoint M4s (the one with the low battery compartment) being used with the M16A2 alongside the regular Aimpoint M4.

The nomenclature is confusing because I think M68 CCO is the designation for the M2 and M4 series of optics in US military service
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd imagine so. There were two gooseneck patterns, Trijicon and Aimpoint. I have the Trij with gooseneck mount on my A2. My buddy has the Aimpoint with gooseneck on his A2.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd imagine so. There were two gooseneck patterns, Trijicon and Aimpoint. I have the Trij with gooseneck mount on my A2. My buddy has the Aimpoint with gooseneck on his A2.
View Quote

I have a few Aimpoint goosenecks and tried mounting an Aimpoint M5 with the Larue LT661 low mount. I have found that this setup puts the optic a bit too low for my liking and the M5 doesn't look right on an M16A2. Here's a picture of the setup I have now:

https://ibb.co/QmLvH34

The rifle is a 1990 factory Colt 6550 that I am using as a "basis" for an M16A2 clone. It's basically a factory large-hole M16A2 upper with the gov't profile barrel on a slabside lower. I'm thinking I will pick up an Aimpoint M4s to replace the M5 and have it look more correct. I believe that that optic would sit much higher too - does anyone know if you can see the iron sights through an Aimpoint M4 with the factory mount and no spacer?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a friend whose son went through Infantry OSUT with an A2 and an M4 on a gooseneck very early in GWOT.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#8]
There were some. Especially for people who were assigned and transferred to a unit while it was deployed. They were issued whatever was available before they left to catch up overseas with their unit, and sometimes that was an A2 that the rear detachment had.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes you can still use the irons with that setup. I did the same thing but with a Primary Arms red dot.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
It was very common in the Air Force about 15 years ago. (See comment above about rear echelon/support troops)
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Same in mass.  The state only had enough M4 for the units spun up and the ones down range for a while.  So the units that just got back or the ones not deploying soon had muskets.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a few Aimpoint goosenecks and tried mounting an Aimpoint M5 with the Larue LT661 low mount. I have found that this setup puts the optic a bit too low for my liking and the M5 doesn't look right on an M16A2. Here's a picture of the setup I have now:

https://ibb.co/QmLvH34

The rifle is a 1990 factory Colt 6550 that I am using as a "basis" for an M16A2 clone. It's basically a factory large-hole M16A2 upper with the gov't profile barrel on a slabside lower. I'm thinking I will pick up an Aimpoint M4s to replace the M5 and have it look more correct. I believe that that optic would sit much higher too - does anyone know if you can see the iron sights through an Aimpoint M4 with the factory mount and no spacer?
View Quote

Did the .mil ever use the Comp M4S?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. It had its own NSN but was still called an M68 CCO like the rest of them.
It came in a white box with the same gooseneck mount as in @Frens photo. Also came with QRP2 flat top mount.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:03:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It came in a white box with the same gooseneck mount as in @Frens photo. Also came with QRP2 flat top mount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. The M4S came out later. I’m not sure why or what the rational was. I heard the S versions were for lefties since the lower battery compartment made it easier to use with both eyes open. I have no idea if that is true or not, it’s just what I heard.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. The M4S came out later. I’m not sure why or what the rational was. I heard the S versions were for lefties since the lower battery compartment made it easier to use with both eyes open. I have no idea if that is true or not, it’s just what I heard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SF didn't like the battery compartment up high, so Aimpoint moved it...
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I may dislike Dick Swann but the ARMS 39 A2+ gooseneck is the best gooseneck

http://armsmounts.com/shop/mounts/r-m-s-39-a2-plus/

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I dislike goosenecks in general. You're adding a lot of aluminum (weight) and multiple failure points to what could just be a receiver swap to flat top.

I've heard the ARMS one above is good, but I also like the design of the latest Army one that was included with the CompM4 and CompM4s. We didn't actually mount one (because I swapped the uppers instead) but it seems well made. Having that additional point of contact at the front of the carry handle is a pretty big deal (for an add-on component like that).
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds reasonable. It’s strange though since the original M4 (M68 CCO), has the same visual layout of the older Comp M2 (M68 CCO). The battery compartment on the M4 is longer but I don’t think it is any wider than the older M2.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top