Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2021 11:09:29 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Installed my warcomp last week and then shot the rifle 2 days later. I was very happy with how it preformed. At 50 yards with no magnification I was putting down 3 shot groups where all bullet holes where touching.

When I was examining everything the other day I realized the indexing lug for attaching a supressor went a little past 6 o'clock to about 6:30.

When I torqued it down with rocksett I torqued it to 30in lbs so it is probably a little closer to 35in/lb since it was a "wet" torque. So now I am OCDing out worrying about hurting my barrel from the extra 5lb of torque. I don't care about the indexing lug being off a hair as the timing of the ports shot perfectly for me.

Should I let it go or should I redo it? Is the damage already done since it's been on there for over a week now?

I apologizing if this seems pedantic to some I just get super OCD about not screwing up my guns as I'm not filthy rich where I can just go buy a new rifle if I screw this one up.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Ever see the movie Frozen?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Leave it.

Shoot it.

Worry less.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Haha thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Mfgs spec torque instructions for muzzle devices to stay put, that's it.
Rocksett is a wonderful tool to stay it put while allowing a decent hand tight-single digit lb torque. Satasfying accuracy is something that varies from person to person, so you'll see a lot of simple "follow the spec" replies and "your overthinking" things
Barrel stretch is a thing, heavy torque negetively affects accuracy as this happens. What that fact may have to do with your build is up to you, but it's good to know and easy to prevent since you already invested in the pricey Rocksett that has about a year of shelf life

Quoted:
Should I let it go or should I redo it? Is the damage already done since it's been on there for over a week now?
View Quote

You have a choice of either,
No "damage" that I know of, it's common to torque the spec that the mfg recommends. But if you want to remove it, I believe the process involves submerging it in water for a bit to break down the adhesive. How long, I forgot but check the process of removing if you don't know.

I am also the same type of end user where im looking to get shit right or invest in an end result that performs at the highest ability for the shit load of money this hobby demands, to some it's NBD but don't neutralize the question with ignorance.

And of course someone please correct me if im wrong
@Bunnies4r5
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea I read all about over torque and stretching. That's what started me worrying about it. I'm just wondering if 5in/lb of over torque is enough to notice a shift. I shot the rifle and it seemed to group the same as it did before. I feel like 5inlb is probably not a big deal but I am not experienced enough to know for sure. I am a pretty decent shot. So I don't want my rifle to go from a 1moa rifle to a 2moa rifle.

In order to redo it I have to order more rocksett as I just used the single use packet that came with the muzzle device and threw away the rest. It's cheap though so not a big deal. I just don't want to go through the whole ordeal of removing it and redoing it if it isn't an issue. I emailed surefire to see what they think but probably won't hear back till Monday.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Hand tight or single digit foot pound (for whatever alignment)
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Your torque value is whatever your wrench clicked at per setting ( providing that the procedure was performed properly), regardless of wet or dry threads.

Lubricated threads/fittings will reach value with less effort, dry will require more effort.

FWIW,  SF reccomends 20-30 ft lbs w/ Rocksett applied to cleaned threads.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your torque value is whatever your wrench clicked at per setting ( providing that the procedure was performed properly), regardless of wet or dry threads.

Lubricated threads/fittings will reach value with less effort, dry will require more effort.

FWIW,  SF reccomends 20-30 ft lbs w/ Rocksett applied to cleaned threads.
View Quote

Interesting so lubricated threads when it clicks at 30 is still 30ft lb? It seems like there are so many places that talk about under torquing lubricated because the wrench says 30 but it's actually tighter because it is lubricated so when the wrench says 30 it's actually closer to 35?
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Interesting so lubricated threads when it clicks at 30 is still 30ft lb? It seems like there are so many places that talk about under torquing lubricated because the wrench says 30 but it's actually tighter because it is lubricated so when the wrench says 30 it's actually closer to 35?
View Quote

30 lbs torque is 30 lbs torque , wet or dry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you will be fine, but for the record, it's ft/lbs. for muzzle devices.  Inch-pounds is usually for scope rings and such.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Just asking, but 30in lbs is nothing. Every muzzle device I’ve ever attached to anything was 25-30’ lbs. if you torque properly you shouldn’t need rockset.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just asking, but 30in lbs is nothing. Every muzzle device I’ve ever attached to anything was 25-30’ lbs. if you torque properly you shouldn’t need rockset.
View Quote

20-30 ft lbs w/ Rocksett applied to cleaned threads per SF.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The torque wrench will still apply 30 ftlbs when you input 30ftlbs, but the fastener is subjected to a higher clamping force as the friction between the threads is reduced. May not matter much for a muzzle device, but many people have snapped headstuds from applying the OEM torque spec for a dry bolt, to one that is wet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
When you’re at the range next time and your gun explodes, killing everyone within 15 meters, then we’ll know those extra 5 foot pounds really were an issue…
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
That was not at all helpful...
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 2:31:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. Torque is torque. The ride getting there might be smoother but when the tension breaks on the torque wrench it’s gonna be the force you set it to regardless of what you have on the threads

Also to undo Rocksett, you need to soak it for 20-30min and then wrench on it. make sure you have a spindle in the star chamber lugs of the barrel (like the Magpul BEV Block) when you crank on it or you can fuck up the indexing notch in your upper
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top