Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2018 10:30:06 PM EDT
Reading all of the threads here and it actually seems the best thing to do is not build a pistol with all of the rules and regulations...but this is what I have in mind, tell me if I am off base and could be heading for an orange jumpsuit:

Stripped lower, never a rifle, purchased new from PSA a year ago and been in the safe, will install LPK to finish it off

KAK Shockwave buffer tube and brace

PSA 10.5" upper

The LOP has to be less than 13.5" with KAK fully extended? or Collapsed?

Only way to use a VFG is with OAL of 26.5" with KAK fully extended? or Collapsed?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Reading all of the threads here and it actually seems the best thing to do is not build a pistol with all of the rules and regulations...but this is what I have in mind, tell me if I am off base and could be heading for an orange jumpsuit:

Stripped lower, never a rifle, purchased new from PSA a year ago and been in the safe, will install LPK to finish it off

KAK Shockwave buffer tube and brace // I'd seriously consider the SBA3. And a good sale at the moment:  https://dsgarms.com/sbt-sba3-01-sb

PSA 10.5" upper // ok

The LOP has to be less than 13.5" with KAK fully extended? or Collapsed? // Debatable

Only way to use a VFG is with OAL of 26.5" with KAK fully extended? or Collapsed?

Thanks,

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#2]
LOP should not exceed 13.5'' fully extended.
The ATF recently tried to measure LOP at a angle, in a court case, from the trigger to the longest part of the brace. Traditionally, LOP is measured in a parallel line with the bore/barrel going from the trigger face to the rear of a shoulder stock. Who knows what they may consider LOP on an arm brace? The ATF seems to be making and interpreting firearm related rules in whatever manner best suits their given case. Measuring at an angle would seem to be the safest method considering the ATFs recent example.
The ATF currently measures braces fully extended. Just remember, fully extended should not exceed 13.5'' LOP.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
if you use the KAK SB15 tube (8 1/2") and a rubber end cap only, you will be at about 12" even if measured diagonally from the trigger...I went to this set up because of all the vacillations from BATFE... works nose to charging handle if you square to target
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Big +1 I'd seriously consider the SBA3
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
With all the confusion lately, I just dont run a vfg on my pistols.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have your same setup with the PSA 10.5" A2 upper with Colt handguards.  LOP is 11", and OAL is 28" with a Troy Claymore linear comp.  I added a short piece of rail on top for an Inforce 400 light on an offset angled mount.  It's my home defence and travelling companion.  Shoots great!!  Just recently replaced the mil-spec trigger with a LaRue.  Haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top