Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

by the way, for the guys that had the 6x version, were you wishing for a 10x version?  Only asking out of curiosity.
View Quote
No.   But I didn't expect that they could deliver a 1-10x at the same weight, with a better reticle, with the same 1x performance, same quality of illumination, and same kind of optical performance across the magnification range.

Now I want one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No.   But I didn't expect that they could deliver a 1-10x at the same weight, with a better reticle, with the same 1x performance, same quality of illumination, and same kind of optical performance across the magnification range.

Now I want one.
View Quote
I'll second that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll second that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I want one.
I'll second that.
I’ll third that.

I love my 1X6 but there are times I want more magnification.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’ll third that.

I love my 1X6 but there are times I want more magnification.
View Quote
The PST Gen-ll 2-10x32 with piggyback rds was my favorite optic of all time, and the 10x spoiled me rotten with it's low 2x end I could use it close in no prolblemo sometimes. I sold my 1-6 after having this set-up but it was a frigging door stop at almost 27oz + rds.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The PST Gen-ll 2-10x32 with piggyback rds was my favorite optic of all time, and the 10x spoiled me rotten with it's low 2x end I could use it close in no prolblemo sometimes. I sold my 1-6 after having this set-up but it was a frigging door stop at almost 27oz + rds.
View Quote
I've got this on my 12" Grendel SBR and absolutely love it.  I've debated an RDS as well, but I don't think it'd see any use with the 6.5G.

It's going to be tested here soon, may become my primary coyote and deer rifle.  I like cerakote, debating on a winter-ish themed camo but can't come up with anything good
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve handled one to couple of times now.  I have a 1-6 and 3-18 (Gen 2’s). It’s definitely a LPVO that goes to 10x and has little in common with the 3-18 style.  The MOA/BDC is awesome.  To my eye the eye box is slightly better on the 1 to 6. But maybe that’s a function of the less cluttered reticle and slightly longer eye relief.(to my eye). That said the size and weight for what you are getting is nothing short of incredible.  I’m not sure I would dump the 1-6 off my 14 1/2 inch gun but it is certainly a neat option and you give little up to gain 10x.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I got to check out a test and evaluation BDC model at Top Pack Defense in Sun Prairie, WI.  Damn.  It is just fantastic!  I can’t wIt until mine arrives in April to Top Pack.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked through the 1-10x today. It's very nice. The glass and illumination  are excellent. The reticle is great at 1x, but a little busy at 10x, although I don't think it would hamper performance in any way. The scope did not make the rifle feel top heavy or tippy. I'm guessing that's due to its shortness and what is likely fairly evenly distributed weight. I was thoroughly impressed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got to check out a test and evaluation BDC model at Top Pack Defense in Sun Prairie, WI.  Damn.  It is just fantastic!  I can’t wIt until mine arrives in April to Top Pack.
View Quote
It is a little rich for my blood, but I am considering it.  Are they taking pre-orders at Top Pack?
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:46:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Can someone confirm if the reticle is usable without illumination on 1X in a home defense situation? What about outside on a sunny day? I have never had a LPVO. I am used to more battery life with a red dot. With this optic being ffp I am wondering about not having time to turn the illumination on in a worst case scenario situation and being able to see the reticle. Is it usable or does it need the illumination in order to pick up the dot on 1X? Or 10X for that matter.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#11]
On 1x you will want the illumination ON.  The reticle is so small it appears as a DOT....(maybe a 4moa dot..??).  Without the illumination, it will appear as a small black dot.....not the easiest to pick up.

On 10x you can use the reticle as normal, with or without illumination.  I'm not sure but the specs below way that it will last for 2.4 years on setting 6.  Thats not Aimpoint long, but plenty long for me.

SPECS:
Magnification: 1-10x
Focal Plane: First Focal Plane
Illumination Settings: 11
Objective Lens Diameter: 24 mm
Eye Relief: 3.6 inches
Field of View: 116-11.7 ft @100 yds
Tube Size: 34 mm
Turret Style: Low Capped
Adjustment Graduation: 0.25 MOA / 0.1 MRAD
Travel Per Rotation: 25 MOA / 10 MRAD
Max Elevation Adjustment: 120 MOA / 30 MRAD
Max Windage Adjustment: 120 MOA / 30 MRAD
Parallax Setting: Fixed @100 yds
Length: 10.1 inches
Weight: 21.5 ounces
Battery Life: 2.4 years (constant on, setting 6)
Battery: CR2032
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On 1x you will want the illumination ON.  The reticle is so small it appears as a DOT....(maybe a 4moa dot..??).  Without the illumination, it will appear as a small black dot.....not the easiest to pick up.

On 10x you can use the reticle as normal, with or without illumination.  I'm not sure but the specs below way that it will last for 2.4 years on setting 6.  Thats not Aimpoint long, but plenty long for me.

SPECS:
Magnification: 1-10x
Focal Plane: First Focal Plane
Illumination Settings: 11
Objective Lens Diameter: 24 mm
Eye Relief: 3.6 inches
Field of View: 116-11.7 ft @100 yds
Tube Size: 34 mm
Turret Style: Low Capped
Adjustment Graduation: 0.25 MOA / 0.1 MRAD
Travel Per Rotation: 25 MOA / 10 MRAD
Max Elevation Adjustment: 120 MOA / 30 MRAD
Max Windage Adjustment: 120 MOA / 30 MRAD
Parallax Setting: Fixed @100 yds
Length: 10.1 inches
Weight: 21.5 ounces
Battery Life: 2.4 years (constant on, setting 6)
Battery: CR2032
View Quote
Where did you get 2.4 years?
I was under the impression it was 240 hours. Which sucks. Basically you will have to turn it off and on like an Eotech and you will be changing lots of batteries. I think the 1-6 SFP makes more sense for a duty or all around optic because it can be used without illumination?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The *Center* of the reticle is going to be quite small and appear as a dot on 1x without the illumination on - and yes, the illumination absolutely helps reticle acquisition quite a bit - but the whole reticle will not simply appear as just a dot. That's why we put the thicker bars at the 3, 6 and 9 position that draw your eye into the center of the reticle. They are very visible on 1x and considering the engagements will be close and fast, will get you plenty close at speed and in transitions.

Battery life is also indeed closer to 240 hours on that setting. Is 2.4 years listed somewhere that it needs to be corrected? Just looked all over our product page on our website and didn't see that listed.

Thanks
View Quote
Thank you for the info, it was helpful.

The quote below is from earlier in this thread about battery life.

"Setting 8 (Where it really starts to transition from "Daylight visible" to "Daylight Bright" for most situations - ambient light depending) = 45 hours constant on"

If I could ask one more question about the dot. I tend to see a comma or a comet on my Aimpoints likely due to an astigmatism. Will I see a crisp dot with this Razor since it has an etched reticle? Or will an astigmatism affect it as well?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You won't have any negative effects from your astigmatism with this scope. That said, the illumination is Mega Bright so it's really easy to have it at a setting that's too high if you just go by number settings that you ordinarily have other scopes at and if it's too bright for the ambient light, it will bloom a lot. Even setting 1 is visible in daylight and by the time you're at setting 6 it's basically daylight bright (Looking through one now) - you'd have to be in direct sunlight with no cover or in the tundra with a crap load of reflection off snow to really need to crank it up to the highest settings.
View Quote
Good to hear. Thanks again for replying on here!
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Just put pre-order in on a gen III. Deal was too good to pass up. While I’m speaking blasphemy here, the first thing I’m going to do is cerakote it black.

ETA: due to the amount of IM's inquiring about the "deal" I got (I replied to everybody who inquired), I'll leave it here that the seller has put their prices back to basically where everyone else is selling theirs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just put pre-order in on a gen III. Deal was too good to pass up. While I’m speaking blasphemy here, the first thing I’m going to do is cerakote it black.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wanna share the details of the pre-order?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wanna share the details of the pre-order?
View Quote
IM sent!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You won't have any negative effects from your astigmatism with this scope. That said, the illumination is Mega Bright so it's really easy to have it at a setting that's too high if you just go by number settings that you ordinarily have other scopes at and if it's too bright for the ambient light, it will bloom a lot. Even setting 1 is visible in daylight and by the time you're at setting 6 it's basically daylight bright (Looking through one now) - you'd have to be in direct sunlight with no cover or in the tundra with a crap load of reflection off snow to really need to crank it up to the highest settings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I could ask one more question about the dot. I tend to see a comma or a comet on my Aimpoints likely due to an astigmatism. Will I see a crisp dot with this Razor since it has an etched reticle? Or will an astigmatism affect it as well?
Can confirm. Looked through it at SHOT Show and I have bad astigmatism in both eyes. In red dots I tend to see a bow tie or a comet, never a round red dot. I saw none of that with this optic, but yes at "nuclear bright" it bloomed significantly in the relatively dim SHOT Show floor lighting. But nobody should want it that bright at anything but direct sunlight outdoors. It's the brightest illumination I've seen in any optic I've ever held in my hands, of any type.

Honestly Vortex, ya'll should trademark the phrase "nuclear bright" or I'm going to steal it as soon as we have illumination worthy to call it that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Can confirm. Looked through it at SHOT Show and I have bad astigmatism in both eyes. In red dots I tend to see a bow tie or a comet, never a round red dot. I saw none of that with this optic, but yes at "nuclear bright" it bloomed significantly in the relatively dim SHOT Show floor lighting. But nobody should want it that bright at anything but direct sunlight outdoors. It's the brightest illumination I've seen in any optic I've ever held in my hands, of any type.

Honestly Vortex, ya'll should trademark the phrase "nuclear bright" or I'm going to steal it as soon as we have illumination worthy to call it that.
View Quote
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Has the release date for these been postponed with everything that's going on?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#25]
From DLO's IG and FB. 10x, 6x, 2.2x and 1x. Target at 50yrds and brightness not all the way up. Maybe setting 9 or 10 he said.

Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
You do whatever makes you happy with regard to color.   :)

I like the color of the Razors.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#27]
This series of pictures makes me think that the only downside to this optic over the 1-6 is that at lower magnification settings, the usability in certain light conditions depends upon bright illumination.

I often shoot at 1x at matches and don't bother to turn on the illumination on my 1-6, because the crosshairs are bold enough that I don't find it necessary.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You do whatever makes you happy with regard to color.   :)

I like the color of the Razors.
View Quote
I know I'll take a resale hit when/if I do sell it, but it's just not my jam.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

IM sent!
View Quote
@theHULK9281

Hook me up bro
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:57:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@theHULK9281

Hook me up bro
View Quote
Replied!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#31]
They have a list at Top Pack you can get onto.  Just give them your info and which reticle you want.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
@theHULK9281 hook me up too please!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Crappy Cellular Pictures. For reference building is @ 1444 yards....
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#34]
1,444 yards
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
1,444 yards
View Quote
Was that a question ?

Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#36]
No, a statement
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/HM0g1Hr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PntMJ4q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NleagVu.jpg

Crappy Cellular Pictures. For reference building is @ 1444 yards....
View Quote
Are they starting to come in or is this a dealer sample / demo unit?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are they starting to come in or is this a dealer sample / demo unit?
View Quote
Mine came in last Friday, as did a co-workers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dang! lucky! I'd love to have mine right about now. I suspect I will have to wait awhile longer. Already got the mount here just sitting waiting on it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dang! lucky! I'd love to have mine right about now. I suspect I will have to wait awhile longer. Already got the mount here just sitting waiting on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was woefully unprepared for its early arrival. I was expecting mid April. I've still no mount. Probably be at least next month before I can acquire another POS Scalarworks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was woefully unprepared for its early arrival. I was expecting mid April. I've still no mount. Probably be at least next month before I can acquire another POS Scalarworks.
View Quote
I don't have my mount yet either but I welcome the scope anytime! Good to hear regular people are starting to get theirs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#42]
wheres the best place to preorder one?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
AAoptics.com is where I pre-ordered early January....
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#44]
@VortexOptics

These still showing up in April?

Or will there be a delay due to current events?

Thanks again for all your involvement in this thread
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whats wrong with the scalarworks mount?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was being sarcastic. Someone said they’re suboptimal. I love mine thus far. Maybe that will change with usage. I do like Badger Ordnance’s new offerings though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I was being sarcastic. Someone said they’re suboptimal. I love mine thus far. Maybe that will change with usage. I do like Badger Ordnance’s new offerings though.
View Quote
Think I'll be putting mine in a new Badger 1.7"

But I'd be open to other mounts if someone else would make some 1.7" mounts.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d be tempted to go the other direction. 1.5 is too high for me shooting prone and I have to compromise my cheek weld.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I ordered mine from mother Brownells in January when they had 10% off- $1,804.95  when delivered
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Well I called AA Optics where Sabre675 got his from and they still had a few BDC models in stock some how. So I snatched one up! Excited to have it so early! Especially with what's going on around the world. They have a handful more on hand they said so if you want one call em quick!
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top