Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2021 11:44:18 AM EDT
I always use my Razor without illumination during the day.  During night shoots, I use illumination on setting #1.  That is plenty bright.

So, I decided to test the battery life at setting #1.  The initial voltage measured 3.32 volts.  I turned it on at 7:00pm last night 2/2/21.

I will check the rifle each night and plan to report back with my findings.  I think it is going to be a while.

Anyone want to take a guess how long it will last?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
My guess is 30-45 days.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've read it will last several days on the highest setting. My guess is a couple weeks on setting one. My PST does not last more than a week on a usable daytime setting.

Very interested, as I just purchased a Gen II E.

If you're taking bets, then put me down for Feb 13.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of variables. The battery used will play a big part I think.

I've never had an emitter go out on me yet, but I never leave my optics on 24/7. I just don't like the thought of letting it run 24/7, but I'm ignorant regarding emitter life. I've read a lot of discussions about people running their Aimpoints 24/7 just so that it's illuminated when they pick it up. Many thought the 'light bulb' could burn out sooner if they didn't leave it on 24/7. I don't know though.

This past winter, in a lot of areas, it got ridiculously cold. I want to say -40F or so. A lot of us put their optics outdoor and checked on them every hour. Lots of odd things happened. Dots not appearing. Buttons too stiff to function, etc... I thought that was a cool & practical test too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
My guess? A looooong time.

The 1-6 is supposed to get 120 hours on maximum setting, and battery drain increases exponentially with each step. At setting 1, I would not be surprised if it lasted for the better part of a year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Great questions.  It is an Energizer ECR2032.  3.32 Volts to start.  The rifle will be in a gunsafe in my garage in occupied Southern California.  The temperature will range in the low to high 60's.  

My wild guess is a month.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
On the subject of batteries, avoid buying from Amazon - many of the name brand batteries there are counterfeit.  I buy my button cells and lithium AA/AAAs from Battery Junction, but any reputable battery vendor will do.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure but I accidentally left mine on setting 8 or 9 for about a week before I realized it and it was still on. I was surprised being on such a bright setting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're taking bets, then put me down for Feb 13.
View Quote

OP, how goes it?

Mine showed up a couple days ago. Previous owner said he was still on the original battery. Seems very bright to me.

Playing around with it the last couple days, I think 8-9 is about what I'll keep it on for here. Even during daylight with snow, 9 is plenty bright. We have sufficient tree cover here.

Very excited for my barrel/gas block to get back from d.wilson.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My guess? A looooong time.
View Quote
On setting 1, yeah.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#11]
2/14/21 Update

The red dot is still bright.  I removed the battery and measured it at 2.92 volts.  

So, it has lasted 270 hours so far.  At the current rate of decay assuming it is linear, my guess is that it will last about another week.  

I will keep you posted.

P.S.  The reason for doing this is that I only use illumination at night on setting #1.  I want to know how long it will last during SHTF when I turn on the scope at night.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback.  Remaining at that setting I wouldn't be surprised to see the battery reach a certain "floor" and stay there for a bit.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback.  Remaining at that setting I wouldn't be surprised to see the battery reach a certain "floor" and stay there for a bit.  Interesting.
View Quote

Badger, you really called it.  It is 2/25/21.  The battery is still going strong.  I measured the voltage at 2.92 volts.

That is the identical voltage as on 2/14/21.

I think it is going to last way longer than I guessed.  The battery decay doesn’t look to be linear.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, thanks for the followup.  Glad to hear it.
:)
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
3/9/21

Battery is still going strong.  Lasting WAY longer than I thought!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#16]
3/19/21

Still going strong.  Voltage = 2.86 volts
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the tracking and updating.  Sitting at 45 days; pretty impressive even if at the lowest setting.  Knowing you would leave it on at night, heck you can double the timeframe to 90 days (or more)...

I picked up a new Razor and plan to do the same test on the next battery change, but I plan to set it at around 6-8 for daytime use.  Need to find my volt meter...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
3/19/21

Still going strong.  Voltage = 2.86 volts
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
This is very valuable to me.  In a SHTF scenario, I will leave the Razor on setting 1 for Indoor work at night.  In the day, I don’t use illumination.  

This means the Razor will be good for several months on one battery.  This is much better than I expected.  

I have at least 100 CR2032 batteries.

... I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#20]
4/9/21. Still going strong.  

If it is still working on 5/2/21, I will measure the voltage.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Excellent.

Edit 11 Apr to add: I still think it's going to be truckin' for awhile.  Setting 1 and it's a CR2032.  If that illumination circuit is any kind of efficient...  fwiw, the 2032 in my HS510 dot - set at middle value - has been going since January last year.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#22]
It has been exactly 3 months.  The dot is still bright.  The battery voltage is 2.24 volts.  

So, if you just turn illumination on at night during SHTF, you will get 6 months + out of one battery.

I will continue to test and monitor this...
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It has been exactly 3 months.  The dot is still bright.  The battery voltage is 2.24 volts.  

So, if you just turn illumination on at night during SHTF, you will get 6 months + out of one battery.

View Quote
That's crazy impressive. My rifle with a Razor atop it sits in the safe when not at the range but either way that's fantastic.

I ought to do a similar test with the p4xi on a mini recce that sometimes does bedside duty.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:So, if you just turn illumination on at night during SHTF, you will get 6 months + out of one battery.

View Quote
The report is good news.  :)
As to SHTF, if you hear indicators, just change the battery.  The thing that is likely to eat up the battery draw is turning it up to be no-BS visible in bright daylight.
;)

Edited to clarify: Turning up in bright daylight more applicable to RDS.  In the case of a scope, daylight obviously gives you use of the reticle.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Batteries don't drain on a linear scale.  As they reduce voltage they more quickly die.

Impressive results though
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:18:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is very valuable to me.  In a SHTF scenario, I will leave the Razor on setting 1 for Indoor work at night.  In the day, I don’t use illumination.  

This means the Razor will be good for several months on one battery.  This is much better than I expected.  

I have at least 100 CR2032 batteries.

... I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
View Quote

I wouldn't stress too much about it, unless you are trying to go totally passive with no white light on your rifle.  

The reticle on the Razor is very bold and the necessity of illumination is overemphasized IMHO.  If you light up a target with a white light indoors you will have no problems, illuminated or not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Batteries don't drain on a linear scale.  As they reduce voltage they more quickly die.

Impressive results though
View Quote

Actually, I am observing the opposite.  There was an initial quick drop in the battery voltage during the first two weeks.  Then, a slow and steady reduction in voltage.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Regarding the role of illumination for me on the Razor 1-6HD...

Daytime - I never turn it on.  The reticle is bold enough that I have never needed it in the day.  I have spent a lot of time hunting coyotes, 3 gun, and tactical training.  I actually get a better sight picture and more accuracy without a big red blob in the middle of my aiming point.  It just isn't necessary.  

Night / Low light - I put illumination on setting 1.  Setting 1 is more than bright enough to make hits on targets in low light without my flashlight.  Setting 1 is nuclear bright.  If I have to use my weapons light, I can still see the red dot.  But, that doesn't matter because the weapons light allows me to see the reticle too.  The Razor is far superior to an Aimpoint because I never have to worry about washing out my dot with my light.

Illumination only serves one purpose for me.  That is making hits in low light without activating my weapons light.  Setting one gets this job done easily.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, the test is over.  The dot is visibly dimmer.  

It almost went 4 months on setting 1.  

The Razor is an awesome scope for SHTF.  Leave illumination off in the daytime.  Turn it on setting 1 at night.  One battery will last a little over 7 months.

I have 100 batteries.  I’m good.

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for tracking that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Great test
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thank you, for doing this test, and sharing the information with us.  That battery lasted a lot longer than I expected.
View Quote

Sure.  I was very surprised too.  I figure it is always good to know what things are.  I used to worry that my Razor was a liability in a long term SHTF scenario.  That worry is completely gone now.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Awesome now do the 1X10
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top