Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/8/2018 6:18:30 PM EDT
Looking for a "best bang for the buck" optic for my AR pistol. This looks interesting. Anyone have any info that's not on this link?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/crossfire_red_dot
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like another Holosun clone, or out of the same factory.

If so, is a lifetime warranty worth $70 more?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Lifetime warranty and costs $80 less.

Link to Atlantic Firearms
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Street price on the Vortex is $129.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That's their MSRP , street price prob $150 or less. I would personally go with the new primary arms 50k battery life version listed above. The vortex didn't have as good of battery life and the PA has the lifetime warranty. This is the newer one with the rotary knob and they also upgraded some internals for increased durability
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The Crossfire comes with a mount that gives it a 1/3 co-witness. Battery life is claimed to be 7000 hrs on the medium setting. Would the included mount offset the shorter battery life? I hope so because mine was 140 bucks after tax from Cabelas.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone confirmed whether these are standard T1/T2 mount compatible? Or did vortex go the proprietary route?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I’d definitely go with the PA micro
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I was ready for a Holosun, but now this has my attention also!(and the sparc ar)
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been using a SparcAR pretty hard for over a year now.  Rock solid on zero.  Factory battery got me beyond the 1 year mark.

2 oz different with the SparcAR being heavier.

Always interesting to see new stuff.  If you are on the fence, my experience with the Sparc is very positive considering the street price.  Will be curious to see if this new offering looks to be similarly durable.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
It is compatible
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is compatible
View Quote
I'm assuming this is in reference to T1/T2 mount compatibility? Even if so, for an extra $20 you get the PA with 50k hour battery life as opposed to the 7k for the Vortex. Lifetime warranty being equal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Another Aimpoint clone. Cute...
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another Aimpoint clone. Cute...
View Quote
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]
You will spend $200 for the PA. $170 for the sight then another $25 for the lowest cost mount but you get 50k hrs battery life. The Vortex is $129 and includes a mount but only has 7k hrs on medium. I had to pay sales tax which brought the total for the Vortex to $141. Sixty bucks will buy quite a few batteries, or batteries and ammo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I can confirm the Crossfire fits T1/T2 mounts. I have mine mounted in a Geissele lower 1/3 mount. Already had the mount and can't shell out for a T2 at the moment. For $130 it should work for me. Planning to move it to a pistol eventually.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I just bought one from Optics Planet. Said 2-4 weeks to ship which is disappointing but was only $116 shipped.

I have a PA 50k and AP PRO..we'll see how it compares.  It's going on a beater so should be perfect in that role.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just bought one from Optics Planet. Said 2-4 weeks to ship which is disappointing but was only $116 shipped.

I have a PA 50k and AP PRO..we'll see how it compares.  It's going on a beater so should be perfect in that role.
View Quote
Throw a review up and compare
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Throw a review up and compare
View Quote
Will do.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought I read the new CF red dots are not nitrogen purged.  Guess it depends on how you’re going to use it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought I read the new CF red dots are not nitrogen purged.  Guess it depends on how you're going to use it.
View Quote

This says it is
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#21]
That’d be good...for the $, might be worth a shot.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know how the SPARC AR stacks up against PA's micro red dot but PSA's perpetual deal on the SPARC + 10 pmags for $199 is awfully hard to beat esp. with free shipping.

So...how does the SPARC stack up against PA's micro?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#23]
This is news for me. Ordered directly from Midway. I have the Sparc AR already and a few micro Aimpoints already. Don't have a rifle to put it on so maybe this will be good for the Ruger 9mm carbine perhaps that I am waiting to arrive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't know how the SPARC AR stacks up against PA's micro red dot but PSA's perpetual deal on the SPARC + 10 pmags for $199 is awfully hard to beat esp. with free shipping.

So...how does the SPARC stack up against PA's micro?
View Quote
I get the feeling that the Crossfire is a response to people complaining that the Sparc AR had an integrated mount and took AAA batteries, which are heavier than button cells and don't offer the best battery life. PA's micro dots are a known commodity, but Vortex stands behind their products. I'm really thinking about grabbing one of the Crossfires, never had any interest in the Sparc AR.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I fent, $130 from Midway with free shipping. I had a couple other things I needed from them anyway.

I could have saved ~$10 by ordering from Optics Planet, but they have it listed as "estimated to ship in 17-28 days"
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I fent, $130 from Midway with free shipping. I had a couple other things I needed from them anyway.

I could have saved ~$10 by ordering from Optics Planet, but they have it listed as "estimated to ship in 17-28 days"
View Quote
There's 10% off on OP too but if I had noticed the ship time on OP I probably would've passed. Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#27]
My Midway order has already shipped.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm assuming this is in reference to T1/T2 mount compatibility? Even if so, for an extra $20 you get the PA with 50k hour battery life as opposed to the 7k for the Vortex. Lifetime warranty being equal.
View Quote
Saw an unboxing video last night where the posted said that the PA "50,000 hour battery life" was based on the optic being set on the lowest setting but that the Crossfire's 7,000 hour battery life was based on it being set at "4" (medium).

If so, the battery life comparison isn't, well, comparable.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Saw an unboxing video last night where the posted said that the PA "50,000 hour battery life" was based on the optic being set on the lowest setting but that the Crossfire's 7,000 hour battery life was based on it being set at "4" (medium).

If so, the battery life comparison isn't, well, comparable.
View Quote
at 7k hours, if I change the batteries on 1 Jan and 1 July every year, it will be several years before the cost of batteries catches up to the additional cost + mount for the PA. Besides, I'm waiting for PA to release one of the new rotary knob micros with the ACSS reticle. If they can keep that under $200, I'll buy 3-4.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#30]
My Optics Planet order for this dot shipped today FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Make China Great Again!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I work for the largest automotive seat maker in the US.
The plant I work at makes the seat frames and hardware for Cadillac, Ford, Mercedes and several other manufacturers.
All of the small parts in the seats are made in China.
I would bet that American made optics use foreign made parts also.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Edgy bro
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Just ordered one, can't wait.

FYI Dollar Tree sells 2032 Lithium batteries for well.. one dollar (you get 2) I might grab 5 more (My MRO uses the same battery too)

1 Battery=7000 Hours= 291.6 days...
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine arrived today. Not much to say. If you've ever handled a Holosun or PA micro, it's basically the same thing. The included mount is nicer than I was expecting, but I'll still probably buy a Fortis F1 or DD mount for it. The battery that came with it was dead out of the box, but I have a stash of 2032's. I plan on leaving it turned on all the time and will replace the battery on Jan 1 and Jul 1
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a spare Seekins mount sitting around, but I was debating on using the Vortex one. Any complaints about it?

How does the mounting bolt/hardware look? I know Holosun/PA Mounts are kinda crappy (those are prone to breaking)
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got mine. Not a fan of the higher than absolute cowitness height. Does anyone know if there's a mount that is absolute and is just as light as the factory one?

Battery wasn't dead, install went perfect.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#38]
SLR for $60 Looks good.
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=704

1.5 oz

Seekins is 1.7 oz but appears to be discontinued.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just got mine. Not a fan of the higher than absolute cowitness height. Does anyone know if there's a mount that is absolute and is just as light as the factory one?

View Quote
Don't know how the weight compares, but the Scalarworks Micro mounts are lightweight and available in absolute cowitness.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it a lower 1/3 mount?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is it a lower 1/3 mount?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is it a lower 1/3 mount?
View Quote
It comes with two mounts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#44]
No 10 pmags = no sale
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No 10 pmags = no sale
View Quote
Right now PSA has 10 PMAGS for $80 shipped so if you buy a Crossfire from midway for $129 shipped and the mags you're within ten bux of the ususal SPARC/PMAG deal routinely offered by PSA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Any reviews of using the Crossfire on the range?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No 10 pmags = no sale
View Quote
Okay.

So what does getting pmags have to do with this?

No comment on the reviews of this red dot,  no care what you think.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a spare Seekins mount sitting around, but I was debating on using the Vortex one. Any complaints about it?

How does the mounting bolt/hardware look? I know Holosun/PA Mounts are kinda crappy (those are prone to breaking)
View Quote
The bolt is only threaded on the end, not the entire length, which I like. It seems to be decent quality, but I prefer having 2 cross bolts as opposed to one. For that reason alone I'll be ordering a DD, Fortis or SLR mount for it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The bolt is only threaded on the end, not the entire length, which I like. It seems to be decent quality, but I prefer having 2 cross bolts as opposed to one. For that reason alone I'll be ordering a DD, Fortis or SLR mount for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, my main complaint about the Seekins is that the bolts are threaded all the way through. This actually chewed up the rail on one of my uppers... Sucks since it wasn't a cheap forged upper, but a 9mm LBHO Billet Side Charger... was hard to find at the time.

Not sure if the mounting hardware was partially responsible.

Might just go with the factory mount. Or if Botach has a battle steel on sale, I'll get one of those. I picked up their MRO version for $30 and I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Any reviews of using the Crossfire on the range?
View Quote
It hardly needed to be adjusted today while zeroing.

My Aimpoint or die friend couldn't believe that something that is a clone could be just as good if lives were on the line. He really liked the low weight of the mount even though he prefers his Seekins or LaRue monts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top