BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2018 3:43:16 PM EDT
Was this a one off or a standard issue design:
Attachment Attached File

Note that it looks like an 11.5 with an A1 flash hider, the receiver was damaged/broken off but the guy holding it for the photo appears to be holding it up with a BCG inserted into the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Only picture I have seen comparable to this arrangement was some SF types wearing tiger stripes in a group pic with a couple appearing to have 177's with cylindrical metal hand guards.  The condition of this in the tropical environment leads me to think this was scrapped by the communist grubermint there...unless the picture is much older than I would know. Could be a US or viet field mod - but what's the date of the picture ?.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
If it wasn't that thread...it was another like it.... but the one I went to sent me to this Imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/poo7O
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It may just be the picture but that barrel appears to be heavier then a pencil profile and also have what looks like an A2 flash hider to me so I would speculate that it was the remnants of a rifle put together much later then the Vietnam era.  Again it may just be the picture.

Having a bayonet lug seems a bit unusual for just about every earlier model carbine, though if not original to that barrel, I guess the front sight base may have been swapped out when they installed the round front handguard end cap.

The only model that is relatively close to what is pictured (other then the homemade handguards obviously) would be the 639 commercial / export model and even that might be a bit of stretch but plausible since it was exported and probably in many more different configurations then even known depending on who it was going to.

Since it has been stated previously that the picture was taken in 1990 anything is possible.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
I bet the AK still functions if you picked it up and put a mag in it.

Is that a Hi-point carbine on the top of the pile?? LOL.

Sorry. Back to our regular programming.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at all those poor, poor, M1's.  What a waste.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I bet the AK still functions if you picked it up and put a mag in it.
https://i.imgur.com/5AnhziX.jpg

Is that a Hi-point carbine on the top of the pile?? LOL.
https://i.imgur.com/qWszloy.jpg

Sorry. Back to our regular programming.
View Quote
Not sure if your serious, its a vz58
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
14.5" barrel with a field expedient handguard. (And a fugged up upper receiver!)

Well the cost of recoiless rounds to replicate this are beaucoup scrilla!

I want one of these but I can't see me spending two hundred bucks just to chop it down for a handguard.

Maybe I'll get lucky one day and find one cheap.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well the cost of recoiless rounds to replicate this are beaucoup scrilla! I want one of these but I can't see me spending two hundred bucks just to chop it down for a handguard. Maybe I'll get lucky one day and find one cheap.
View Quote
@Cal30M1 The last ones I purchased were like $50 each.  I am going to a big military show this weekend and can try to find you one.  IM me if you want me to look for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Cal30M1 The last ones I purchased were like $50 each.  I am going to a big military show this weekend and can try to find you one.  IM me if you want me to look for you.
View Quote
Wouldn't be the one in Louisville would it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wouldn't be the one in Louisville would it?
View Quote
Yes, it SHOULD be a good show, IF it isn't interupted by anti-gun types.  A billboard near there had "KILL THE NRA" on it this morning.  Most people like that HATE ANYTHING that has to do with the military, not just EVIL AR-15's
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

14.5" barrel with a field expedient handguard. (And a fugged up upper receiver!)

Well the cost of recoiless rounds to replicate this are beaucoup scrilla!

I want one of these but I can't see me spending two hundred bucks just to chop it down for a handguard.

Maybe I'll get lucky one day and find one cheap.
View Quote
Pretty sure that's a 11.5" barrel assuming that the FSB is in the carbine gas port location.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I've actually thought about building a handguard like that my self. I'm thinking that's either a heat shield off an exhaust pipe (motorcycle, tractor, etc) or a strainer off an irrigation suction pipe. All you gotta do is find one the right size to fit in the Delta ring, then make that cap.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@M16indiana Dude if you see one for $50 grab it! I won't butcher anything higher than that,

Quoted:

Pretty sure that's a 11.5" barrel assuming that the FSB is in the carbine gas port location.
You're right of course. I was in too big a hurry to be a smartass.

Quoted:
I've actually thought about building a handguard like that my self. I'm thinking that's either a heat shield off an exhaust pipe (motorcycle, tractor, etc) or a strainer off an irrigation suction pipe. All you gotta do is find one the right size to fit in the Delta ring, then make that cap.
This is what it is.

57mm recoiless round.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, it SHOULD be a good show, IF it isn't interupted by anti-gun types.  A billboard near there had "KILL THE NRA" on it this morning.  Most people like that HATE ANYTHING that has to do with the military, not just EVIL AR-15's
View Quote
I was going to stop by since the Gun show and Military show are both open Saturday.

I would hope the $8 parking and gated access keep the riff-raff out but, you certainly never know, especially these days.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top