Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2020 9:33:10 PM EDT
Metal or plastic hardware? I would assume the metal is stronger but stronger isn't always better - might scratch up the rifle? Or I've heard it can make the sling too hard to adjust quickly?

Also the common advice is to go 2 point over 1 point, is this universally accepted? What is the point of a 1-point sling, no pun intended?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Plastic hardware has been working fine for me for years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

I have both, both work great.

1 point slings are great... to have your gun hit you in the balls when doing a transition.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Vickers slings with metal and plastic hardware.  

No practical difference that I can tell.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the plastic hardware.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My first sling was a single point. I consider that a mistake. If you want the option to use it as a single point, get one that can be configured as both single and two point.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1 point slings are great... to have your gun hit you in the balls when doing a transition.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I've transitioned all but one sling to Vickers Slings (a Magpul MS4) .  They're simple, light, and work.  I have a Vickers 1-point sling on a short barrel AR9 and it works well with that (5" barrel with a linear comp).  Everything else has a 2-point, 10.5" builds to 18" builds.  The polymer used for the Vickers triglides is very robust, haven't had any issues.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha. So true.

I like the plastic hardware.
Plenty strong unless you plan on dangling from a helicopter door or something.

I stress tested a lightweight sling with plastic hardware. Had a 275lbs dude standing on it, completely suspended.
Everything held.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is the point of a 1-point sling, no pun intended?
View Quote
It's a reminder that stupid should hurt
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Don’t think it’s been mentioned but plastic hardware is also quieter and doesn’t beat up your rifle.

I like Flatline Fiber slings. The guy who owns it (Chad) is good people and, imho, they are doing the Vickers sling better Blue Force Gear is.

https://flatlinefiberco.com
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Plastic hardware is working fine on my VCAS that's eight years old. The plastic hardware makes less noise if it should hit something, too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Single point slings are great, if you are going to just stand in one place.  If you plan on moving, not so much.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By @mudholestomper:
Don’t think it’s been mentioned but plastic hardware is also quieter and doesn’t beat up your rifle.

I like Flatline Fiber slings. The guy who owns it (Chad) is good people and, imho, they are doing the Vickers sling better Blue Force Gear is.

https://flatlinefiberco.com
View Quote

Which version are you running? What do you thinks better than the vickers? $30 cheaper for the padded version and they come in MCB makes me think I want one
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which version are you running? What do you thinks better than the vickers? $30 cheaper for the padded version and they come in MCB makes me think I want one
View Quote

Ah well nevermind, just ordered it anyway. $50 for the padded after coupon code and supporting small business+ American made. Looks promising but even if it’s a turd, I’ve wasted more on less
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Metal or plastic hardware? I would assume the metal is stronger but stronger isn't always better - might scratch up the rifle? Or I've heard it can make the sling too hard to adjust quickly?

Also the common advice is to go 2 point over 1 point, is this universally accepted? What is the point of a 1-point sling, no pun intended?
View Quote
I've got both. Both are several years proven in Iraq and Afghanistan, humid jungle environments, cold rainy environments, and several intense training events that punish the hell out of gear for weeks on end in between. I've been impressed at how durable the plastic is. Either or, they will both work fine for years on end in some truly awful harsh conditions.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top