AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might like these bullets.  This guy who got charged by a hog would tend to disagree.  He was shooting the 110 VMAX 300BLK in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_py-vhXMHM
View Quote
Guess you missed this part...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might like these bullets.  This guy who got charged by a hog would tend to disagree.  He was shooting the 110 VMAX 300BLK in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_py-vhXMHM
Guess you missed this part...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425939/Screenshot_20180322-162841-490385.JPG
It looked like it was poorly shot. Several times.

And REALLY damn determined.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It looked like it was poorly shot. Several times.

And REALLY damn determined.
View Quote
Yeah no kidding.  Hogs are tough fucking animals.  Im 110% cool with 110gr Vmax on people.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Would have shit my drawers having that hog charge me like that. That was a freak incident but his shooting help cause that too. Shot placement is key. I use the 110 v-max as my go to/shtf bullet along with some Barnes 110 Tac. But do have a 12.5 inch 308 ready with 168 A-Max to use too, just in case!
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I could see the first shot hit the right front leg so a different bullet or even a .308 would not have made any difference as it was a poor shot. The second shot I couldn't tell if it was a hit or miss but looked like a miss. Third shot looked like a glancing blow to the top left of the pig where there is a lot of muscle/fat with a very thick shoulder blade and no vitals. Fourth shot was a solid hit in the lower right frontal area and this is where the pig starts to lose it because after another two steps it starts to go down. Fifth shot was once again in the top left of the pig but at a higher angle that allowed more penetration. The fifth shot was only the second hit that really could have been close to a kill shot and the pig was already heading down from the fourth shot on the frontal area.

I have hunted pigs with both the .308 and 300BLK. I have also had them run some distance with a solid .308 hit while having them DRT with a 300BLK and vice versa. Bullets do funny things and unless you are hunting with a 50BMG then shot placement with a rifle that has enough power to put them down has more to do than the caliber or extra energy.

The size of this pig with a 110gr barnes black tip would have gone right through him while expanding to a full 1/2 inch coming out of a 300BLK. There wasn't a single shot in this video that the .308 would have done a better job at as missing or hitting a leg with more energy does nothing to put down the pig. Also the recoil with the .308 could made it worse as it would not have let the shooter get back on target near as fast as he did with the 300BLK allowing him to put the pig down before it reached him. Once the shooter put rounds on target with the 300BLK in the right area the pig dropped fast.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think Ayoob's point was that a politically-driven prosecutor would push a "bloodthirsty gun nut builds Dracula-killers that are more lethal thaen commercial ammo" scenario and toss that to an ignorant jury pool.
ayoob did a lot of expert witness work at one time; he testified very effectively back in the 90s in  a DFW trial of a cop who shot and killed a belligerent suspect with a knife.
View Quote
That takes me back to the 1990s and I am getting threatened or banned from gun forums for gently joshing parodies of ayoob's prose.

Back on fast expanding bullets.
The guys I hunt with, we have killed many thousand rodents with the Vmax bullets.
But when it come to ruminants, they use partition and I use Nosler Ballistic tip.

I have been buying zillions of out of state tags and shooting a lot of deer for a lot of  years.
We cannot seem to agree those smart hunting partners and me.
I shoot the deer broadside and aim for the lungs.
They stagger and fall over... and then I need those friends to drag the animal back to the truck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How would that be any different from purchasing ammo that is selected for terminal performance and how does that relieve them of the responsibility to prove that your ACTIONS were unlawful? And in this scenario do you also have an attorney?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great points about the denim - it never hit me that that was for handguns only.

I used to be pretty careful when reloading, so wouldn't be worried about that aspect. However, I do certainly fear a lawyer who would drill a defender about purposely building a round for its damage capabilities.
How would that be any different from purchasing ammo that is selected for terminal performance and how does that relieve them of the responsibility to prove that your ACTIONS were unlawful? And in this scenario do you also have an attorney?
This.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good stuff.   I tested the Nosler 110gr bullet a couple weeks ago and it did VERY WELL.   Video will be up one of these days
View Quote
Video's live:

Gorilla Ammunition 300 Blackout 110gr Nosler Varmageddon Ballistics Gel Test
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My question is, is that really that much difference than some of the 5.56 rounds....  I kind of forget.  It does seem like it's wound channel is pretty big....  But I'm not sure it's that much different than the TSX loads or even 77 grain BTHP.....

I might be all wet.   But I don't think the penetration is any more.......

I also wonder if you had a 16" bolt gun what that would do to it.........
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, and he always uses extreme examples with other unrelated problems to "prove" his fear mongering. I'm every case, there's always some other factor that was the real reason people had a problem on their trial. For example, he used the Harold Fish case as an example of why you shouldn't use uncommon calibers/hand loads/other scary stuff for defense. The prosecutor did make an issue of the 10mm handgun that Fish carried but the whole trial was a shit show for other reasons. The judge was extremely biased and refused to allow testimony about the character of the deceased and his prior convictions for violent offenses and at the time, Arizona considered self defense to be an affirmative defense to the charge of homicide. That is, the burden of proof was on the accused to show how use of force was necessary. Because Fish and his attacker were the only people present, there was simply no way for Fish to prove he was attacked. He didn't get convicted because of his 10mm, he got convicted because of shitty laws and a kangaroo court. But Ayoob sells advertising by telling people not to carry scary guns.
View Quote
I agree.  Another case he uses is one where a husband was tried for the murder of his wife.  She committed suicide using his .38 Special revolver.  The problem for the defense was that she'd used a light target hand load, but the police confiscated and tested his much heavier self defense load.  Their forensic expert concluded the powder stippling produced by the tested load was not consistent with the stippling on the victim and concluded the shot must have been fired from a distance that would have been beyond her reach.

This problem in ballistic analysis gets trotted out as a reason not to use hand loaded ammunition for self defense.  But if you think it through you realize the problem is one where the defendant hand loaded, and had multiple .38 Special loads in the home using the same bullet loaded to different velocities.   It could also potentially apply in some instances where a defendant purchased two boxes of commercial ammunition purchased at different times that used the same bullet, but were loaded differently, and then consolidated two partially used boxes to a single box.

Ayoob points out that there is a data base for factory ammo that can be used for comparative analysis, but this depends on the police correctly matching the load used in the shooting to the load in the data base to make a valid comparison.   The important points for hand loaded self defense ammunition are that you:
-  clearly mark your self defense hand loads as such;
- keep them separate from all of your other ammunition;
- inform the police (through your attorney) where the self defense load is located; and
- ensure you always have enough remaining in that clearly marked box to allow for comparative testing by both the prosecution and the defense.

The same advice also applies to a commercial self defense load.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Very nice test as usual. Thanks!

The performance isn't bad, but I'd be worried that at 2,000fps we're approaching the lower end of the velocity range of where these bullets will still expand/fragment. Maybe the lower end of that range is lower than for comparable hunting bullets with a thicker jacket (usually they mention it's around 1,800fps). bluefalcon: Do you happen to know if Hornady lists a lower velocity limit for expansion for that bullet? If not, it might be interesting to down-load it.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

@Zhukov
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh cool - thanks for the info. It's kind of hard to fathom that all those have the same lower velocity threshold, but they are probably in the ballpark.
View Quote
My thoughts as well. Probably rough estimates.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Heavy clothing isn't needed for rifle testing. It's used to determine whether clothing fibers can pack the cavity of a hollow point pistol bullet and prevent expansion. This bullet doesn't have a cavity to pack and it's moving fast enough that no amount of clothing could prevent expansion if it did have a cavity.

As for the reloading thing, I think Mas Ayoob did a great disservice to the community with all his fear mongering. If you don't want to use reloads for quality control reasons, that's fine, but I don't think anyone has ever been convicted for using reloads. The whole "overzealous prosecutor" thing is bullshit. He still had to prove that your ACTIONS were unlawful.
View Quote
Not trying to nitpick or anything but I wouldn't go as far as saying the denim test is not needed or performed with rifle rounds. General testing by the FBI and other third party manufacturers always use variations of the "denim test" with rifle rounds marked for LE use. I'd be willing to bet if you actually did the true denim test and test with heavy winter clothing that the bullet may have some "pre-expansion" or disruption that may hinder it's penetration and performance. Being a tipped bullet, I would not expect total failure to penetrate, but I would expect some early expansion or jacket separation that may cause it to have less than stellar penetration. You mention even if the bullet did have an exposed cavity that it would not fail or clog due to it's velocity, that's just plain absurd. There are many instances of rifle rounds with open cavities (Not OTM Match bullets) not expanding due to some form of foreign materials including clothing, density of the intended target, or the velocity required for expansion was not met. Barnes TSX and TTSX are great examples of this.

I'm not trying to rustle your jimmies, just wanted to point that out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The performance isn't bad, but I'd be worried that at 2,000fps we're approaching the lower end of the velocity range of where these bullets will still expand/fragment. Maybe the lower end of that range is lower than for comparable hunting bullets with a thicker jacket (usually they mention it's around 1,800fps). bluefalcon: Do you happen to know if Hornady lists a lower velocity limit for expansion for that bullet? If not, it might be interesting to down-load it.
View Quote
From what I have read, 1600 fps is the lowest for expansion on the 110 V-Max.
110 V-Max
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From what I have read, 1600 fps is the lowest for expansion on the 110 V-Max.
110 V-Max
View Quote
A Nosler rep told me the same 1600fps when I asked about their 110g Varmageddon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have no idea. That might be interesting. I'm also curious to see whether it is still capable of penetrating adequately at higher velocity. This might be worth revisiting.

ETA: I forgot that I already tested this bullet at lower velocity. Freedom Munitions loaded it to a weak ass 1,600 fps. No expansion.

Freedom Fart: .300 AAC Freedom Munitions 110gr VMAX Gel Test
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not trying to nitpick or anything but I wouldn't go as far as saying the denim test is not needed or performed with rifle rounds. General testing by the FBI and other third party manufacturers always use variations of the "denim test" with rifle rounds marked for LE use. I'd be willing to bet if you actually did the true denim test and test with heavy winter clothing that the bullet may have some "pre-expansion" or disruption that may hinder it's penetration and performance. Being a tipped bullet, I would not expect total failure to penetrate, but I would expect some early expansion or jacket separation that may cause it to have less than stellar penetration. You mention even if the bullet did have an exposed cavity that it would not fail or clog due to it's velocity, that's just plain absurd. There are many instances of rifle rounds with open cavities (Not OTM Match bullets) not expanding due to some form of foreign materials including clothing, density of the intended target, or the velocity required for expansion was not met. Barnes TSX and TTSX are great examples of this.

I'm not trying to rustle your jimmies, just wanted to point that out.
View Quote
You're right that I was oversimplifying.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Heavy clothing isn't needed for rifle testing. It's used to determine whether clothing fibers can pack the cavity of a hollow point pistol bullet and prevent expansion. This bullet doesn't have a cavity to pack and it's moving fast enough that no amount of clothing could prevent expansion if it did have a cavity.
View Quote
Yes, but with the clothing aka 4 layers of denim they may effect the amount of fragmentation.  The V-tip "may" start expansion sooner on impact with the "clothing" and cause it to fragment earlier.

Just a thought.  When you change the test you do add another variable.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#23]
From this thread it doesn't seem like the 300 BO brings much more to the table than say the TSX rounds in 5.56...  But maybe I'm missing it.  I guess it might be a different story with more velocity and a different bullet.  Eh?

I mean the wound channel on your test with a short barrel using the Black Hills Red 50 grain TSX if pretty darned big and penetration was spot on......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3xgcu2yNRs
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#24]
The guy in the video stated, "that's why I shoot an AR15, not a bolt".  He didn't say he was shooting a 300 Blk.  Do you have a link where the shooter mentioned he was using a 110 HP?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have that pdf - I suspect that brassfetcher decided to keep the information proprietary for one reason or another and had it taken down. Regardless, the VMax results and others are all analyzed pretty deeply in the pdf; they all perform perfectly adequately for defense. Personally, I load the 125 Speer TNTs - excellent performance, good pricing, and they're damned accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's some screenshots from a .pdf I downloaded from BF years ago but I cant find it online.  Not best picture quality but you get the idea.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425939/Screenshot_20180319-163729-487653.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425939/Screenshot_20180319-163714-487654.JPG
I have that pdf - I suspect that brassfetcher decided to keep the information proprietary for one reason or another and had it taken down. Regardless, the VMax results and others are all analyzed pretty deeply in the pdf; they all perform perfectly adequately for defense. Personally, I load the 125 Speer TNTs - excellent performance, good pricing, and they're damned accurate.
I load the Speer for the above reasons. I'd love to see a gel test on that one with some denim.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I've shot a couple of deer with the 110gr. Vmax Black loading from Hornady. It works. No exit wound on either, but they dropped DRT. Internal damage was....impressive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've shot a couple of deer with the 110gr. Vmax Black loading from Hornady. It works. No exit wound on either, but they dropped DRT. Internal damage was....impressive.
View Quote
Good to know.  Thank u.  What length barrel did u use?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top