Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2022 10:07:54 AM EDT
Im a little baffled by the physics behind the vltor (and similar) A5 systems. I understand the longer buffer tube but the buffer is increasing by the same length. So wouldnt the distance traveled by the buffer be the same as a standard system?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Carrier travel is limited to the length the carrier can travel before the gas key hits the receiver.

People think a spring with 4 more coils is some panacea.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im a little baffled by the physics behind the vltor (and similar) A5 systems. I understand the longer buffer tube but the buffer is increasing by the same length. So wouldnt the distance traveled by the buffer be the same as a standard system?
View Quote

The buffer and bolt carrier group travel the same distance.

The A5 spring is a fixed stock rifle spring, not because of travel, but because of where it contacts the buffer and extension.

The A5H2 buffer is supposed to be equal to a standard weight carbine buffer in action.

If you want a heavier buffer use an A5H3, an A5H4 would be the extreme and likely not needed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
So its exactly the same thing, just allows for a heavier buffer to be used?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
No, it both allows for a heavier buffer and allows for the use of a rifle spring, which performs better.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The A5 spring is a fixed stock rifle spring, not because of travel, but because of where it contacts the buffer and extension.

The A5H2 buffer is supposed to be equal to a standard weight carbine buffer in action.

If you want a heavier buffer use an A5H3, an A5H4 would be the extreme and likely not needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A5H2 weighs 5.33oz, a carbine buffer is 2.9oz

ETA
https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/vltor-a5-buffer-system-overview/
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So its exactly the same thing, just allows for a heavier buffer to be used?
View Quote

The purpose of the A5 system is to emulate the RIFLE buffer system in a shorter length that allows an adjustable stock.

The A5 buffer is just large enough to fit the same weights and spacers as what are contained within a rifle buffer. The buffer tube is also sized appropriately to use a rifle spring.

The original design concept was to allow drop-in replacement of rifle stocks and buffer systems on existing rifles without having to go through a lot of testing, requalification etc, to offer an easy upgrade path for M16 rifles.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A5H2 weighs 5.33oz, a carbine buffer is 2.9oz

ETA
https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/vltor-a5-buffer-system-overview/
View Quote

I mean in function, not in weight.

A rifle buffer is 5.3 or 5.4 oz.

The A5H2 is considered, "standard" and the A5H3 buffer is considered heavy.

Remember it uses a rifle spring.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
It allows the use of the better spring rate of a rifle spring.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw the testing data on the A5 system back when it was in development, IIRC it represented an improvement over the status quo with more consistent shot to shot bolt velocities which should result in more consistent operation. It also slowed the ROF. You almost have to shoot it to understand the benefit, it's just a different recoil impulse.

Also anyone banging a 9mm lower should absolute throw an A5 buffer (JUST the buffer) into their setup. It takes the additional slop out of the 9mm bolt travel so it doesn't beat the catch to hell like it normally does and shoots SO much more betterer, especially suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
In addition to the above mentioned advantages, the A5 system uses more individual weights than the carbine buffer, so that they might impact at different times, for a better dead blow effect at both ends of travel. Also, the A5 buffer has a small spring inside it that is weak enough to allow the weights to function to delay the counter-recoil stroke, and act to prevent bolt bounce, yet strong enough to position the weights forward  for consistent inertia against the initial movement of the bolt carrier (or bolt in simple blowback actions). Standard style buffers are inconsistent about the position of the weights, depending upon the position the gun was in just prior to firing.  I  consider this to be a contributing factor in reliability for simple blowback actions.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
If you read the whole A5 vs H6 test the H6 was more reliable than the A5.  

Vltor counted light primer strikes and magazines falling out of the gun to get the reliability numbers better than the carbine setup.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Vltor counted light primer strikes and magazines falling out of the gun to get the reliability numbers better than the carbine setup.
View Quote

The H6 is a fixed weight and the A5 is available in several different weights.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

So are carbine buffers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#14]
H3 carbine buffers are nominally 5.4oz, +/- depending on mfr.
H2 carbine buffers are nominally 4.5oz, +/- depending on mfr.

so yes, you can easily and readily get heavier carbine buffers for the standard AR-15 7" carbine buffer tube.
and snake-oil springs, too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So are carbine buffers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So are carbine buffers.

H6 buffers are made for a specific application and that is to use with 20" barrels.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The 3 advantages of the A5 system are:

1-it uses the rifle spring

2-it allows for a longer LOP with more adjustment

3-it allows more buffer weight adjustments for tuning (A5H0, A5H1, A5H2, A5H3, & A5H4) with A5H2 being the same weight as a rifle buffer.

If none of the above matter to you, a standard carbine buffer setup will serve you well.  I prefer the A5 system.

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

H6 buffers are made for a specific application and that is to use with 20" barrels.
View Quote

The A5 was too. And it doesn’t do it as well as the H6, as used by the US, and H2 as used by Canada.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm with samuse on this... Though not because of any issue I've experienced with the A5 system, in fact I've never used it. I was on the edge of going all into it, but I never fully committed even though I bought a bunch of A5 REs, A5H2 buffers and a few extra rifle springs.

I just got tired of seeing all the guys who bought into the A5 buffer system on the forums (mostly TOS) constantly chasing their tails around in circles trying to achieve fine tuned perfection. They we're just constantly testing all the different A5 buffer weights along with all the "Voodoo BS" Sprinco buffer springs. They just never seemed fully satisfied... Always chasing, but never really catching that ultimate in reliability unicorn that they were after. Short barrels, suppressors and LMT Enhanced BCGs were always in the mix to tune around too.

I realized that it's just a hole to throw your money down to never see a real return on. The original Colt carbine buffer system just works and it works very well, certainly well enough for me.

Note: Before the A5 system came along, the same guys that are into the A5 system now were constantly messing with Sprinco buffer springs and different buffer weights for the standard carbine buffer system too... It's almost a sickness of sorts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The buffer is lengthened so that the carrier stops in the same position as it would in a carbine length system, the difference is it allows for the use of a rifle spring instead of a carbine spring. The A5 is basically a shortened rifle buffer system where everything but the spring and spring travel is shortened.

The A5 is a great option for your .308/6.5cm AR because it allows the use of AR carbine buffers. So, you can standardize buffers across AR platforms. Although, ArmaLite has been using the same system since the AR10 carbine... so it makes me wonder if Vltor just took the same idea and adapted it for AR15s.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]
That’s exactly what it is. The 6 position A5 receiver extensions are RE-10/A5SR for use with AR-10s. LMT 308 MWS and KAC SR-25 also use the ~.655” longer tube.  

It was a clever thing to think of, but it didn’t really pan out functionally. It took a long time to really catch on and nobody cares that it functions worse than a carbine setup because it’s an upgrade and it costs more so it has to be better. Lol.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally I really like the A5 system.   I find it has a better recoil impulse and I personally like it.   I have fired thousands of rounds through mine with no issues.

If I had a carbine setup with a carbine system, I wouldn’t not spend the money to swap it to an A5.

But if I were to build a carbine from the ground up, I would spend the extra few bucks for the A5.

Again, just my experience.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Works great in suppressed pistols instead of an adjustable gasblock
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Lets address the spring in the a5 system, as that is really its major advantage.  Ill try to keep this short yet informative.

Ar 15s have a compromized spring design, meaning less than ideal force at l1(bolt closed) and l2(bolt fully open)

Ideally a rifle will have significant force at l1, to ensure bolt closes properly, and as little force as possible at l2, to ensure full cycling.  This is acheived best with a very low spring rate, and large amounts of pre compression.

The dimensional parameters of the carbine spring system ~1"OD,~3.8" compressed length, preclude ideal rifle spring design.  Colt did the absolute best possible with the size parameters, achieving the lowest possible spring rate and l2 force, while maintaining an acceptable level of l1 force.

The rifle spring system is also compromized from ideal, but to a smaller degree, it has more force at l1 than carbine, and less force at l2, again, the best possible for size restraints.

The vltor a5 allows use of rifle size springs, so is necessarily "better" as far as spring design is concerned.  And will make small gains in reliabilty, due to increased closing force(minimizing failures to close fully) and decreased cycling force(minimizing short stroking)

Typically rifles will have a ~3/8"-~1/2" diameter spring, as it is much easier to achieve ideal springing, and uses much less spring mass.  AR15 springs are necessarily compromized due to packaging restraints inherent to design.

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ideally a rifle will have significant force at l1, to ensure bolt closes properly, and as little force as possible at l2, to ensure full cycling.  This is acheived best with a very low spring rate, and large amounts of pre compression.
[…]
The vltor a5 allows use of rifle size springs, so is necessarily "better" as far as spring design is concerned.  And will make small gains in reliabilty, due to increased closing force(minimizing failures to close fully) and decreased cycling force(minimizing short stroking)
View Quote
Nice explanation, but I wonder whether having a larger force at l2 (bolt open) is all bad. Seems to me that it would help in stripping the next round from the magazine, especially from one that’s full or nearly so.

IIRC a complaint that I’ve seen about the A5 system is that it’s less reliable in this regard than a conventional carbine setup.  @samuse — do I have this straight?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice explanation, but I wonder whether having a larger force at l2 (bolt open) is all bad. Seems to me that it would help in stripping the next round from the magazine, especially from one that’s full or nearly so.

IIRC a complaint that I’ve seen about the A5 system is that it’s less reliable in this regard than a conventional carbine setup.  @samuse — do I have this straight?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[…]

Less L2 force is what I think is the main reason why the A5, and the original rifle setup is less reliable than the carbine H2 setup.  I also suspect the biasing spring has something to do with the propensity to fail to feed.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#27]
A longer spring means more linear force. That means a bit more force holding the bolt closed and a bit less when the bolt is back, reducing bolt velocity and bolt bounce. You want more spring closed and less open than a standard carbine spring. The only ways to accomplish that are a flat spring of carbine length (that is longer due to more coils) or a longer round wire spring.

The effect is minimal, but everything adds up. Just like midlength gas vs carbine gas port.

The negative with the A5 is you can't get the buffer as light for use with an adjustable gas block. Less reciprocating mass also lowers recoil if the gas is adjusted down to match.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Stress analysis of carbine vs rifle springs showed the carbine to be nearly identical to the rifle at L1, and about 1 lb heavier at L2, and well within limits of the material and operating lengths of the spring. IE: Nothing to be gained with a longer spring.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stress analysis of carbine vs rifle springs showed the carbine to be nearly identical to the rifle at L1, and about 1 lb heavier at L2, and well within limits of the material and operating lengths of the spring. IE: Nothing to be gained with a longer spring.

View Quote

Do you have a source for the info you've been stating in this thread about carbine vs A5 systems? Not trying to be snarky at all, I'm just genuinely curious and would like to read about them both.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I saw the testing data on the A5 system back when it was in development, IIRC it represented an improvement over the status quo with more consistent shot to shot bolt velocities which should result in more consistent operation. It also slowed the ROF. You almost have to shoot it to understand the benefit, it's just a different recoil impulse.
View Quote

Quoted:
I  consider this to be a contributing factor in reliability for simple blowback actions.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
It was a clever thing to think of, but it didn’t really pan out functionally. It took a long time to really catch on and nobody cares that it functions worse than a carbine setup because it’s an upgrade and it costs more so it has to be better. Lol.
View Quote

Quoted:

Typically rifles will have a ~3/8"-~1/2" diameter spring, as it is much easier to achieve ideal springing, and uses much less spring mass.  AR15 springs are necessarily compromized due to packaging restraints inherent to design.
View Quote

Quoted:
Less L2 force is what I think is the main reason why the A5, and the original rifle setup is less reliable than the carbine H2 setup.  I also suspect the biasing spring has something to do with the propensity to fail to feed.
View Quote

I was looking into the A5 buffer for one reason only: reliability. I have read over the past couple of years about the A5 being more reliable...and less reliable than a carbine buffer system - much like posts I have quoted above. Conflicting information seems to make this a bit of a crap shoot.

In the end, my question is this: "In overall performance, is there accurate evidence that shows that the A5 buffer system makes the AR15 function more reliably?"
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was looking into the A5 buffer for one reason only: reliability. I have read over the past couple of years about the A5 being more reliable...and less reliable than a carbine buffer system - much like posts I have quoted above. Conflicting information seems to make this a bit of a crap shoot.

In the end, my question is this: "In overall performance, is there accurate evidence that shows that the A5 buffer system makes the AR15 function more reliably?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I  consider this to be a contributing factor in reliability for simple blowback actions.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. There is none. It’s the same crowd on M4C and Reddit that regurgitate the same idea of why they think it’s more reliable and works ‘with a wider range of uppers’ that the carbine setup.

The H2 buffer is in military use behind 10.3. - 14.5 carbine and mid, 15-16” carbine, 18” and 20” rifles,  blanks to M855A1, suppressed and unsuppressed. ETA arctic cold to Iraq hot.

The H2 buffer was 4 years in development, has been standard in every carbine for amount 20 years now. They went back to the drawing board to test the rifle, A5, and H6 buffers, burned through about 200K rounds, found the H6 better, and VLTOR found one power point slide that showed the A5 having less stoppages, and the fanboys have been screaming it from the rooftops since.
They either don’t know, or never saw the whole thing that breaks down the stoppages by class. The H6 stoppages that made it less reliable were magazines not seated and falling out, and light primer strikes.  It showed the A5 had more failures to fully feed/return to battery than the H6. THAT is attributable to the buffer setup.  The rifle setup was worse than the A5 in that regard too.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No. There is none. It’s the same crowd on M4C and Reddit that regurgitate the same idea of why they think it’s more reliable and works ‘with a wider range of uppers’ that the carbine setup.

The H2 buffer is in military use behind 10.3. - 14.5 carbine and mid, 15-16” carbine, 18” and 20” rifles,  blanks to M855A1, suppressed and unsuppressed.

The H2 buffer was 4 years in development, has been standard in every carbine for amount 20 years now. They went back to the drawing board to test the rifle, A5, and H6 buffers, burned through about 200K rounds, found the H6 better, and VLTOR found one power point slide that showed the A5 having less stoppages, and the fanboys have been screaming it from the rooftops since.
They either don’t know, or never saw the whole thing that breaks down the stoppages by class. The H6 stoppages that made it less reliable were magazines not seated and falling out, and light primer strikes.  It showed the A5 had more failures to fully feed/return to battery than the H6. THAT is attributable to the buffer setup.  The rifle setup was worse than the A5 in that regard too.

View Quote

Do you have a link to those slides for scientific research ?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Do you have a link to those slides for scientific research ?
View Quote

I don’t.  There’s one floating around the internet somewhere.

This stuff is almost 20 years old at this point.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I have shot probably a close to a hundred thousand rounds through all my AR’s which are A5 equipped. I’m not a fan boy I bought them for the slightly better lop. I have never had any reliability issues, I have never changed the weights in the elusive recoil tuning quest. Honestly I played with the weight on one setup to see if there was a noticeable difference which I really didn’t unless I was wanting to feel a difference. I tried a couple Sprinco greens still the same but they did remove most of the recoil boing, boing, so there is that. Will I continue to use them?  Yes! I have some extras and the additional lop is worth it for me, will I play with springs and weights nope. I will say in closing there are no downsides, and you do get increased lop if your tall.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can tell you this, the rifle length (not carbine) receiver extension, spring, and buffer, is PROVEN to be longer lasting AND more reliable than the carbine extension, spring, and buffers.

This is a proven fact.

If you want the ULTIMATE in reliability (and durability as well), you use a fixed rifle stock, and buffer / spring system.

IF you want a collapsible stock, then reliability isn't your main concern, but I can understand you wanting to also have the most reliable set up you can along with the CONVENIENCE that a collapsible stock brings.  

If the A5 more closely emulates the rifle receiver extension set up and function, it should inherently be more reliable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can tell you this, the rifle length (not carbine) receiver extension, spring, and buffer, is PROVEN to be longer lasting AND more reliable than the carbine extension, spring, and buffers.

This is a proven fact.

If you want the ULTIMATE in reliability (and durability as well), you use a fixed rifle stock, and buffer / spring system.

IF you want a collapsible stock, then reliability isn't your main concern, but I can understand you wanting to also have the most reliable set up you can along with the CONVENIENCE that a collapsible stock brings.  

If the A5 more closely emulates the rifle receiver extension set up and function, it should inherently be more reliable.
View Quote

USMC testing disagrees.

The rifle spring and buffer was more reliable than the 3 oz carbine buffer before the advent of the H2,3,&6 buffer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

USMC testing disagrees.

The rifle spring and buffer was more reliable than the 3 oz carbine buffer before the advent of the H2,3,&6 buffer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a proven fact.

USMC testing disagrees.

USMC does not disagree, and no where do they state that a carbine recoil system is more reliable.  The rifle system, length of travel / weight combination is inherently more reliable than the shorter carbine travel system designed by Colt.  

Remember, STONER designed the M16 with the rifle recoil system and it is optimal to the gun.  Colt later made modifications to the weapon for convenience of special forces.  These changes necessitated compromises to the optimal functioning of the weapon, IE shorter length of travel and recoil impulse.  Just increasing the buffer weight does not make it the same.  Anyone who has fired both a rifle and a carbine recoil system (even with a heavier buffer) can physically notice there is a difference in recoil impulse.

From observing this thread, you seem to have a personal attachment to the carbine recoil system.  You need to learn to step back and be more objective.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

USMC does not disagree, and no where do they state that a carbine recoil system is more reliable.  The rifle system, length of travel / weight combination is inherently more reliable than the shorter carbine travel system designed by Colt.  

Remember, STONER designed the M16 with the rifle recoil system and it is optimal to the gun.  Colt later made modifications to the weapon for convenience of special forces.  These changes necessitated compromises to the optimal functioning of the weapon, IE shorter length of travel and recoil impulse.  Just increasing the buffer weight does not make it the same.  Anyone who has fired both a rifle and a carbine recoil system (even with a heavier buffer) can physically notice there is a difference in recoil impulse.

From observing this thread, you seem to have a personal attachment to the carbine recoil system.  You need to learn to step back and be more objective.
View Quote

You missed the 200K rounds the USMC fired with carbine, A5, and rifle setups before they stated that there was no reliability advantage to the rifle or A5.  

Carrier travel doesn’t change with buffer setup.

The carbine spring is well within material and design limitations and  spring engineering shows that more coils would not be beneficial to performance.

I’ve done blind comparisons with A5 and carbine lowers with the same uppers and ammo and not one shooter thought the A5 felt better. In fact, a majority performed best with the carbine-H, over A5 and carbine-H2.  

14 years now of observation with A5 equipped guns is objective enough.

I’ve put a lot of work and money into proving this stuff, and had to eat my own crow on the A5 as I was a very early adopter of it and had recommended it to people for years.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#39]
The fact that the carbine spring can fail in as little as 4k rounds alone makes it less reliable (military armor's are scheduled to check the length at that round count).  Rifle length springs almost never fail.

What else you got?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The fact that the carbine spring can fail in as little as 4k rounds alone makes it less reliable (military armor's are scheduled to check the length at that round count).  Rifle length springs almost never fail.

What else you got?
View Quote

Who’s counting to 4K?  Almost nobody. Where’d you hear that?

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I run the A5 tube so that I can run anti-tilt buffers (aka: linear alignment buffers), even on my DI guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm with samuse on this one... I never fully bought all in, but I watched people chase their tails around with the Vltor A5 and LMT Enhanced BCG for years over on TOS and to a lesser extent here trying to achieve some kind of reliability utopia, but all they really managed to do is put together a niche combination of parts that doesn't work in certain conditions and has an awkward recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm with samuse on this one... I never fully bought all in, but I watched people chase their tails around with the Vltor A5 and LMT Enhanced BCG for years over on TOS and to a lesser extent here trying to achieve some kind of reliability utopia, but all they really managed to do is put together a niche combination of parts that doesn't work in certain conditions and has an awkward recoil impulse.
View Quote

Kind of like the KAC rifle?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you done did it now!
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Oh you done did it now!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you done did it now!

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’ve done blind comparisons with A5 and carbine lowers with the same uppers and ammo and not one shooter thought the A5 felt better. In fact, a majority performed best with the carbine-H, over A5 and carbine-H2.  
View Quote
Curious about this — what specific A5 setup did you use in this testing? That is, which buffer weight and what spring?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oh you done did it now!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you done did it now!

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Curious about this — what specific A5 setup did you use in this testing? That is, which buffer weight and what spring?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fresh mil-spec carbine and rifle springs from Colt, A5-2 and -3 buffers, H, and H2 buffers.  Lowers all had identical Magpul furniture and Sionics NP3 triggers.

Ammo was, iirc, IMI M855, and MK262mod1.  

Uppers were Colt 6920s (16” carbine) with Geissele 13.5” MK14s, and a Colt 6933 upper.

There were 5 very competent shooters, not including myself.

On a different occasion we did BCM 16” mids, Colt 6920s, A5-2 vs H2.  THOSE results were very interesting.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fresh mil-spec carbine and rifle springs from Colt, A5-2 and -3 buffers, H, and H2 buffers.
View Quote
Well if your testers liked carbine H (3.8 oz) better than H2 (4.6 oz), then I’m not surprised that they preferred either of those to A5H2 (5.3 oz) or A5H3 (6.1 oz).  Can’t find the quote, but IIRC you once described the A5 recoil as “clunky” — that’s the same word that I came up with when I once I tried a carbine H3 (5.4 oz).

3-gun guys have understood for a long time the benefits and drawbacks of reducing the reciprocating mass. I wonder what would have happened had you tested an A5H0 (3.8 oz) or A5H1 (4.6 oz) instead.

I do understand that the A5H2 seems to be the default recommendation, presumably because it matches the standard rifle buffer and many think of the A5 system as being equivalent to the rifle setup, just repackaged into a small form-factor.  Uses the same spring after all….

That comparison isn’t entirely accurate, however. If you hold an A5 buffer next to a rifle one, you can see there’s less space available for the spring in between the shoulder and the end of the bumper.  So that rifle spring is compressed an extra 0.55” or so when it’s used in an A5 setup as compared to standard rifle, and that means more working force.  As I figure it, the spring in an A5 is acting more like a carbine’s than a rifle’s, at least in regard to the force it supplies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fresh mil-spec carbine and rifle springs from Colt, A5-2 and -3 buffers, H, and H2 buffers.  Lowers all had identical Magpul furniture and Sionics NP3 triggers.

Uppers were Colt 6920s (16” carbine) with Geissele 13.5” MK14s, and a Colt 6933 upper.

On a different occasion we did BCM 16” mids, Colt 6920s, A5-2 vs H2.  THOSE results were very interesting.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
   If you had done this test with a rifle gas system what do you think the results would have been? I've got a 20" ar w/the A5 and I'd like to try the carbine extension and buffer. Which buffer should I use?
Thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top