Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2020 11:17:01 AM EDT
Looking to switch the buffer system on my 11.3 pistol which right now has an OAL of about 25.6 inches without the muzzle device installed to a VLTOR A5. I'm doing this because the tube is 1/2 inch longer than a standard mil spec tube (correct me if im wrong please) and i want my gun to be over the 26" to be a AOW so i can run a foregrip on it. Right now i use an H2 buffer with a sprinco white, and while i don't have a suppressor right now i am planning on getting a can in the future. My question is which VLTOR A5 buffer weight with the required rifle spring is comparable to what i have now?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'd be good with the standard A5H2 buffer (5.3 oz) and A5 spring.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Do realize that you can run an angled foregrip and still have the OAL less than 26"? To use a vertical foregrip and to classify the pistol as an AOW, the OAL has to be greater than 26".
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do realize that you can run an angled foregrip and still have the OAL less than 26"? To use a vertical foregrip and to classify the pistol as an AOW, the OAL has to be greater than 26".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
i want to put a homemade gangster grip on it which is vertical so i need the OAL to be =>26

Quoted:
I think you'd be good with the standard A5H2 buffer (5.3 oz) and A5 spring.
Cool. Do you know if they take standard buffer weights and are adjustable like a normal buffer? i have a few spare carbine buffers lying around that i could use weights from if i needed too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

i want to put a homemade gangster grip on it which is vertical so i need the OAL to be =>26

Cool. Do you know if they take standard buffer weights and are adjustable like a normal buffer? i have a few spare carbine buffers lying around that i could use weights from if i needed too.
View Quote
It will take standard weights.

There's an image floating around that had one broken down.

Edit: found image, courtesy of jaqufrost Link

Top: A5H2
Bottom: 3.0 oz carbine

Attachment Attached File

There is one internal weight that has a spring attached to keep everything forward but other than that, normal stuff.

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
"Quoted:[/b]
Looking to switch the buffer system on my 11.3 pistol which right now has an OAL of about 25.6 inches without the muzzle device installed to a VLTOR A5. I'm doing this because the tube is 1/2 inch longer than a standard mil spec tube (correct me if im wrong please)

Approx. 3/4" longer

and i want my gun to be over the 26" to be a AOW so i can run a foregrip on it.

AOW is an NFA item which is subject to the same aquisition process and restrictions as a destructive device, SBR, suppessor or transferable machine gun. The tax stamp for transfer is $5. What you are wanting to build is classified as a "firearm"."

And yes you can swap standard buffer weights into the A5 buffer to acheive your desired weight. All but the single weight that captures the A5's internal pre load spring are standard dimension weights. Also keep in mind that A5 designations are not directly comparable to standard designations i.e. A5H2 is actually heavier than a standard carbine H2 due to the fourth weight in the A5 system and larger buffer body.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I am building a 3.7 and I am going to use an A5 system. I already have the standard A5 3.8 and spring, so that is what I am goin to use.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
thank you both for the info
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Going over 26" with a VFG will get you out of the AOW category and place you into "firearm."

I recently just built one using a 11.5" barrel and A5 extension. I used a green sprinco spring and A5H2 buffer
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]

I have since turned the A5H1 into an H2. The A5 tube is actually about 3/4” longer. I love the added length on my pistols with SBA3’s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/K22GR3t.jpg

I have since turned the A5H1 into an H2. The A5 tube is actually about 3/4” longer. I love the added length on my pistols with SBA3’s.
View Quote
Thanks for posting this pic.  I'll buy the heavy and swap out steel weights as needed just so I don't have to drill tungsten=)
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the H0, but I got some tungsten weights for cheap. Now, I can easily change the weight to whatever I want. The H0 is cheaper and easy to come by compared to the other ones. Plus, you have the ability to change to whatever weight you want. I scored a BCM A5 RE and already had an A5 spring. However, any rifle length spring will work
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I found this thread and hope to get an answer without starting a new one.  I got 2 A5H0s and 2 A5H4s  so I can make 4 buffers to mix, match and experiment for my two MRP uppers.  Question is about weight placement.  Only the H4 has the tungsten weight with the spring, all the others have a steel weight with the spring in them.  Does it matter if the tungsten weight goes in behind the steel weights?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I found this thread and hope to get an answer without starting a new one.  I got 2 A5H0s and 2 A5H4s  so I can make 4 buffers to mix, match and experiment for my two MRP uppers.  Question is about weight placement.  Only the H4 has the tungsten weight with the spring, all the others have a steel weight with the spring in them.  Does it matter if the tungsten weight goes in behind the steel weights?
View Quote
This is something I've pondered as well. Can't imagine it'd be hard to drill a biasing spring hole in the steel weights, but is it necessary?

If anyone knows, it's probably: @amphibian
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#15]
That spring doesn't do shit.  It's just there for patent purposes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is something I've pondered as well. Can't imagine it'd be hard to drill a biasing spring hole in the steel weights, but is it necessary?

If anyone knows, it's probably: @amphibian
View Quote
I asked vltor this question and they responded today. Order of the weights doesn't matter a long as the spring is in the back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top