Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2022 6:59:21 PM EDT
Any active (or recent) Devildogs here?
Old timer USMC 0311 and I have an option to pick up a “FN Military Collectors M4.”
When this was/is the standard issued rifle for the infantry was the use of the VFG mandatory by HQ? Unit/commander/individual discretion?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I was infantry 10 years. They were issued the entire time, but we also got choice of grip pod and we could purchase our own. I got out in 2015, so no idea after that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been issued them multiple times. Use has always been discretionary IME.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Most guys ran them because the Knights RAS kit came with it (and rail covers). They also authorized the Bipod VFG at some point between 2006 and 2008, and those became really popular, mostly because it gave guys an elegant way to set their rifles down without having to stack them. I would image there are way more approved options now a days, but back then the Knights VFG was pretty popular.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Literally walked past a giant box of knights VFGs during spinup for Iraq for us to take if we wanted. That was '09. I used a tango down myself though because it had a screw cap on the bottom where I could hide 3 or 4 smokes for firewatch.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#5]
You will find the best place for that grip is in the brown box the magazine comes in, along side the rail covers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you gentlemen.
My intent was to make it a “clone” of a USMC infantry rifle. However, never really having trained with them, I am happy to leave it off. Feels awkward to someone not used to it...and maybe a bit clunky occasionally getting myself “hung up” by the rifle in the old days doing silly infantry things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you gentlemen.
My intent was to make it a “clone” of a USMC infantry rifle. However, never really having trained with them, I am happy to leave it off. Feels awkward to someone not used to it...and maybe a bit clunky occasionally getting myself “hung up” by the rifle in the old days doing silly infantry things.
View Quote

Clone?  Add a PEQ14 to the top, strip the rail covers off, put a TA31RCO up top along with a KAS micro rear sight.  That’s about it.  Marines do not use MATEC rear sights.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  Clone?  Add a PEQ14 to the top, strip the rail covers off, put a TA31RCO up top along with a KAS micro rear sight.  That’s about it.  Marines do not use MATEC rear sights.
View Quote

Which was a wise choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My son is currently USMC infantry. He has not seen a back up sight since he’s been in. Various ACOGs yes, nothing else
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Clone?  Add a PEQ14 to the top, strip the rail covers off, put a TA31RCO up top along with a KAS micro rear sight.  That’s about it.  Marines do not use MATEC rear sights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you gentlemen.

Starting in 07 all the guns came from the depot with Matecs, the irony was the Marines in the divisions who got MWSs first, did not get the guns they went to wing.  Around 10, they stopped coming with BUIS completely and the KACs were sent to units who lost most of them
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Kac vfg  optional

Buis were taken in the night by Jody but armory never seemed to care

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top