Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2018 1:40:12 PM EDT
What are your guys thoughts on lubricating everything from AR15s, to pistols, and even semi big bore guns with this stuff? I know there are lots of specialty greases and lubes out there, but this stuff seems to work really well for wear + corrosion and  only sell at reasonable prices if I stock up on a lot at once.

Any concerns about using it in these applications in a thin coat? It seems to stick around for a long time and besides it staining things easily and costing a lot I dont really see any downsides.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s thick bearing grease.   It would probably work in the summer but it’ll clog a gun up in the winter for sure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
No way.  You will end up with that grease on everything.  The little that seeps from around the barrel nut is bad enough.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
On the subject of grease as an AR lubricant in general, in my opinion grease is far superior to oil. It lasts much longer, works as a sealant to keep out contamination and stays where you put it. I use grease exclusively on my ARs (Super Lube NLGI 2).

That being said, not all grease is suitable for firearms lubrication. Specifically, Aeroshell 33ms/64 is a lithium complex grease - which is a good choice for a thickener - but its operating temp range seems a bit low. For example, Aeroshell 33ms/64 has an operating temp range of -99 to 250f, whereas Super Lube is -45 to 450f. I'm not a grease expert or anything, so maybe it'd be fine, but I'd be looking for something with a bit wider operating temp range for an AR lubricant. Basically, if it doesn't run off too badly when the weapon starts getting hot, and it isn't too thick for your average temps, then it should work.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use my 33MS at the bench. If you're concerned about wanting some thicker gun lube, try the Lucas stuff or the ALG stuff.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used it on an AR and 1911, year round, it works just fine.

The Aeroshell is a synthetic grease, so it'll perform down to a lower temp than more common moly greases.  It also has a nice smooth consistency, rather than a tackiness.

The key to success here is to use it sparingly.  Don't coat the BCG in it, just a dab on the carrier rails, the cam pin, and a light rubbed on coating on the bolt and it's lugs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 33MS as a thread lube for installing AR barrels. We have so much of it at work for landing gear lube.

I've been using it to grease the rails on my 2 1911's lately. Works great for that also.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had good success with Lubriplate SFL-0.

https://lubrikit.com/
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Use Slip2000 EWL Grease instead.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
What is better about the Slip2000?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use Slip2000 EWL Grease instead.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cleans up easier and it's non toxic.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've tried different greases on sliding surfaces in an AR - cam pins, bolt carrier skis, triggers, and could see no real difference. Once it wipes off the engaging surfaces, it's just like oil: total loss. Now, I lube with Mobil 1 10W-40 and fuggedaboudit for 400 rounds. A quart lasts me....a long time. No more $14 an ounce snake oil gun lubes for me, thankyouverymuch.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
educate yourselves gentlemen.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/educate-yourself-the-science

This stuff is great.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This stuff is great.
View Quote
As cool as that stuff sounds, the amount you get for the price is really small. I know a little goes a long way, but for large guns, or guns with lots of contact surfaces, the price is too high imo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This stuff is great.
View Quote
That lubricant seems super gimmicky but now I want some.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Negative, AeroShell 33MS should be used on barrel extension flanges and upper receiver barrel nut threads.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Only thing I use that for is barrel nuts. Everything else either gets 5-30 or that high pressure multi purpose grease.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Only thing I use that for is barrel nuts. Everything else either gets 5-30 or that high pressure multi purpose grease.
View Quote
Someone mentioned Lucas Oil lithium grease for barrel installations. I got the 8 oz tube for like $5 since my Valvoline moly grease disappeared, and it worked really well for my last two builds.

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This stuff is great.
I switched to CherryBalmz and haven't looked back. One application lasts a long time. I have about 1500rds through my Ruger 22/45 since its last application and cleaning and its still chugging along.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This stuff is great.
View Quote
I bought one of the "just pay shipping" little sample bottles to try (which I later discovered is the actual product size), and thus far I'm not overly impressed. Not that it's a bad product necessarily, but it strikes me as nothing more than a very overpriced - and overhyped - lightweight grease. It's a bit lighter than I prefer, and also seems to start bleeding oil and separating in just normal ambient temperatures for AZ. I've never had that happen with my current synthetic grease. Due to how light it is and the tendency to easily separate from the thickener, I have a very hard time believing it will be retained over high round counts without reapplication. We'll see.

I will agree they talk a good game, and also agree completely with their contention that grease is a superior lubricant for ARs. They act like this is a major revelation, and I suppose for some people it is, but many of us have known that for years. All they're doing is taking a solid argument - that grease is a superior lubricant to oil for ARs - and then implying those benefits are somehow specific to their product. The benefits they are describing could be achieved with most any quality grease with a suitable temp range and the proper weight. Beyond their vague claims, I haven't seen any evidence they are putting anything magical in those tiny bottles to justify the price.

That being said, out of curiosity - based on their claims and high price - I'm willing to give it a fair shake and see how it compares to what I usually use.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I switched to CherryBalmz and haven't looked back. One application lasts a long time. I have about 1500rds through my Ruger 22/45 since its last application and cleaning and its still chugging along.
View Quote
I have never cleaned and only oiled my Ruger MKII maybe twice after first buying it 15yrs ago and easily have 7-8k rds  through it with all sorts of anmo.  Are the 22/45’s more finicky than the MKII’s?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I imagine the TC built an AR15 and decided to get a tube of 33MS and now has a lot left over. Even if you bought the smallest can, you'd still have enough grease to last years.

With that said, yes you can use the 33MS as a general purpose lubrication. Be sure to only grease the contact points and use a Q-Tip applicator to leave a near invisible surface. Unlike CLP or oil in general, you don't have to put it everywhere or a lot of it for it to work.

I use TW25b or Tetra gun grease throughout the year. It works in all temps, even freezing but the lowest temp point my area goes is 30s, sometimes 20s but very rarely if ever. Like once in a decade sort of deal. The grease works wonderfully indoors or out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Slip2000 EWL Grease
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Mobil 1 before the grease snobs contribute
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#24]
deleted
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top