Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2019 7:59:48 PM EDT
Have a couple "Strike Industries" Extended Bolt Catches to install tonight.

As many do, they just partially remove their current bolt catch "Roll Pin" only 2/3rds leaving it remaining in one ear, just enough to swap out to the new bolt catch part and then just knock the current Roll Pin  back in place.

INSTEAD, I completely removed the current Roll pin, thinking that adding the new included one from "Strike" may work best with the aftermarket part...

Is this ideal for best fitment?

I ask being I have another rifle to add one on, so wondering if I should take this same route again when removing the pin or if I should just go the easy route of not fully removing it.

I also ask being my former usgi bolt catch from a DPMS LPK was a tad wobbly on my M&P receiver so didn't know if maybe it was the roll pin (unlikely), more likely different Bolt Catch specs being it had some wiggle room left to right and wasn't as stiff in it's location like on factory built rifle, so I hope the "Strike" one will fit more snug.

Will find out here shortly when I add them on, just would appreciate some advice first if not a problem

**ALSO, is it okay to rub a light sheen of lube to the new roll pins for smoother/easier installation into the receiver, or should it remain dry?**

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I always add a dab of oil to the tip of the roll pin when installing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I would use the new pin. Oil on the pin is fine. I do this all the time. Just a fine film help it go in easier
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, just wanted to check on everyone's opinion on "Re-using Vs Replacing"

If you look on youtube though, EVERYONE drives the current pin from the left until it's in the right ear, replace Catch, and drive the same pin back the way it came, rather than replacing.

On AR's, I know alot of small parts are supposed to be replaced once removed (Crush Washers, etc etc)

Although, I guess the roll pins in the videos I watched we're still retained so it wasn't technically removed and re-used, but I still like the idea of a new Roll Pin with a new part.

Just some insight as to why I asked.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I would likely reuse as well. The new pin is not going to fit the bolt catch any differently than the old one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
something about using chicom MiM parts in my rifle never made since to me.

But, if your old roll pin is of a quality manufacture id stick with it over strike industry....they dont have the QC id call good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Forget the roll pin, use KNS pins, easy to take in and out.

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/kns-precision-inc-bolt-catch-retaining-pin/
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the idea of that KNS pin. Didn't know they made those.

I usually reuse the old roll pin because I'm lazy.
Also, in my experience with Strike Ind stuff, I have had issues with their roll pins.
They seem super hard and I have had several that feel oversized.
I had to grind a couple down to get them started. No go for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah and what usually happens you want to take it out and change it again, thats what makes the KNS pin so useful.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Within reason, I wouldn't worry about wiggle or re-using the roll pin.

On things like this I go by how it feels during the install and use common sense.  Is the pin going to fall out or break?  Realistically no.

Does it lock back every time on an empty mag?  Realistically it probably will.

Also this isn't the pin that holds the engine on a 747.  You can "what if?" the integrity of the parts in your guns until you lose your mind.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can "what if?" the integrity of the parts in your guns until you lose your mind.
View Quote
This is why I consider a lot of parts one time use only items, including roll pins.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top