Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 4:50:44 PM EDT
Hey guys, wanted to let everyone know there are a lot of retro parts back in stock at Brownells.

FYI I DID NOT receive in stock alerts even tho I was signed up so better check if your needed parts are back in stock.

I was finally able to get all the parts to complete my 604 build after 8 months!

A1 handguards, stock, pistol grip in stock in various colors.

Chrome slick side full auto BCGs in stock again as of morning 4/20

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Unserrated chrome BCGs are gone already.

Regular are still available.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
All the BCGS are out of stock chrome and phosphate
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I even contacted Young Manufacturing last week to see uf they had any chrome unserrated coming up in the pipeline. :(

I did find one at Valhalla Tactical Supply, which should be delivered Monday. $200 minimum order there, though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Still waiting for 1/12 twist A1 barrels to come back in stock.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish they’d restock their completed uppers
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I wish someone would just start making barrels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish someone would just start making barrels.
View Quote

I was able to get a 20" pencil FSB barrel the other day but they went quick. I've been seeing things come back in stock more often, but they sell out quick.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Still waiting for 1/12 twist A1 barrels to come back in stock.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was able to get a 20" pencil FSB barrel the other day but they went quick. I've been seeing things come back in stock more often, but they sell out quick.
View Quote

Lots of people out there building retros, or want to build.  Probably more than we imagine.  Either that or hoarders buying stuff up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Are they still making the complete carbine uppers?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Update on my last post - Valhalla Tactical Supply came through, brand=new chrome unserrated BCG dropped on my desk this morning!

Now I just need to find a few more things and I'll have three ARs ready to assemble/machine, finish and assemble.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Still no C7 uppers yet, sadly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where did you get the 20" pencil FSB barrel?!!  From Brownells? Are they back in stock?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Yea, yea, spill the beans!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Where did you get the 20" pencil FSB barrel?!!  From Brownells? Are they back in stock?
View Quote

Ar15discounts.com 1x9 phosphate lightweight non f marked FSB stripped. All gone as of now tho.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Since you posted that, I ordered one. Most of the stuff on their site looks cheap and crappy and probably Chinese. Yeah, it’s a gamble, but no telling when Brownells ones will be back in stock. I’m out of town for a bit, so I’ll find out how it is in about a month
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Since you posted that, I ordered one. Most of the stuff on their site looks cheap and crappy and probably Chinese. Yeah, it’s a gamble, but no telling when Brownells ones will be back in stock. I’m out of town for a bit, so I’ll find out how it is in about a month
View Quote

I got one too, they shipped it fast, but I haven't built it yet. It locks in to my lower pretty snug. It's a slightly different color black than my lower. It also does NOT have m4 feedramps which is what I wanted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I got one too, they shipped it fast, but I haven't built it yet. It locks in to my lower pretty snug. It's a slightly different color black than my lower. It also does NOT have m4 feedramps which is what I wanted.
View Quote

Does the upper receiver you got look like the one pictured in the link? And have the C A forge marks? I believe these were early ones from Anchor Harvey that NoDak Spud and Brownells sold until Colt? made Anchor Harvey grind off the C. My early 2018 BRN-601 got through to me with the C A marks but soon after that upper receivers just had the A. Of course it would be more historically correct with marks not present but on the Retro 601 I don't mind them at all.

I hope these uppers work out well for you guys. The one I have also fits snug in most lowers but not too tight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does the upper receiver you got look like the one pictured in the link? And have the C A forge marks? I believe these were early ones from Anchor Harvey that NoDak Spud and Brownells sold until Colt? made Anchor Harvey grind off the C. My early 2018 BRN-601 got through to me with the C A marks but soon after that upper receivers just had the A. Of course it would be more historically correct with marks not present but on the Retro 601 I don't mind them at all.

I hope these uppers work out well for you guys. The one I have also fits snug in most lowers but not too tight.
View Quote

Only Anchor Harvey logo, no C.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Ordered one last week and received it Monday, so no complaints there.

Unfortunately the receiver has the offset sight channel defect that seems common lately (affecting both slick-sides and C7-types). There was a thread here about this problem a few months ago.

On this example, the sight channel is about 0.017” left of center, and so the right side wall is .034” thicker than the left. May not sound like much, but it’s easily visible. You can feel it too, and the top of the left wall is sharp. Very similar to the C7 upper that I got last year from Brownells.

Also, when mated to a lower, there’s a pretty noticeable gap at the back of the upper. This is the result of a visible offset in where the takedown and pivot-pin holes are drilled in their respective lugs. It’s not so bad that the buffer will be hammering the retainer, but it doesn’t look great.

Other details (not problems) already mentioned:  anodizing is black; no M4 cuts; forge marking is “split-A” with no “C”.

There’s a “B” engraved on the bottom surface of the takedown lug, and there’s a tiny white “SS.” on the floor of the sight-spring pocket.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Here is that KM Tactical upper built out.

@curlew it fits snug on my lower. I'll double check the dimensions to see if mine is off like yours. It's not a premium upper by any means but no hiccups during assembly and seems to work fine.

My build thread
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Unfortunately the receiver has the offset sight channel defect that seems common lately (affecting both slick-sides and C7-types). There was a thread here about this problem a few months ago.

On this example, the sight channel is about 0.017” left of center, and so the right side wall is .034” thicker than the left. May not sound like much, but it’s easily visible. You can feel it too, and the top of the left wall is sharp. Very similar to the C7 upper that I got last year from Brownells.

Also, when mated to a lower, there’s a pretty noticeable gap at the back of the upper. This is the result of a visible offset in where the takedown and pivot-pin holes are drilled in their respective lugs. It’s not so bad that the buffer will be hammering the retainer, but it doesn’t look great.

Other details (not problems) already mentioned:  anodizing is black; no M4 cuts; forge marking is “split-A” with no “C”.

There’s a “B” engraved on the bottom surface of the takedown lug, and there’s a tiny white “SS.” on the floor of the sight-spring pocket.
View Quote

Confirmed, mine also has the sight channel off center
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bummer.

Brownells had 601 blems with the same issue for IIRC $20 less. But the big difference is that Brownells was upfront about it clearing stating that the off center channel was the reason for selling as a blem.

I’m still away from home for two more weeks, but I’ll be checking as soon as I get home.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s still a nice rifle you have there. Personally, I prefer a retro-inspired build like yours to an attempted replica —- yours isn’t pretending to be something that it’s not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It’s still a nice rifle you have there. Personally, I prefer a retro-inspired build like yours to an attempted replica —- yours isn’t pretending to be something that it’s not.
View Quote

Thanks. The plan originally was to make it a replica, but after waiting 8 months I didn't feel like waiting another year in hopes of getting those correct parts.

As is, it's a pretty fun and functional rifle. Nimble is the best word I can use to describe it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bummer.

Brownells had 601 blems with the same issue for IIRC $20 less. But the big difference is that Brownells was upfront about it clearing stating that the off center channel was the reason for selling as a blem.

I’m still away from home for two more weeks, but I’ll be checking as soon as I get home.
View Quote

I emailed KM Tactical about the sight channel issue. They responded quick and said they will look into it
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I emailed KM Tactical about the sight channel issue. They responded quick and said they will look into it
View Quote

Awesome, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Is anyone making replica 635/6450 uppers?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#30]
1:12 twist 20" pencil barrel assemblies back in! Get them while they last folks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks! Was hoping for stripped barrels, but got one anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone know how fast they're shipping lowers these days? My FFL is not terribly far from Brownells (St. Louis area), so I'm hoping it won't take that long.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I always click the 2nd day delivery button. Seems to work pretty good and fast. Most items shipped out the next day Or two and I see them in about three/ four days. And I’m pretty far away.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Funny I was on a waitlist and I just got notified that the A1 barrels are in stock. And for $30 more than I paid for the one I ordered! Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I always click the 2nd day delivery button. Seems to work pretty good and fast. Most items shipped out the next day Or two and I see them in about three/ four days. And I’m pretty far away.
View Quote

I didn't see any options on shipping, but I did get an email the next day saying 3-5. Going to be a long wait until Tuesday...
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#36]
5/16/21
Retro A1 20" barrels in stock at brownells.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Got my barrel assembly in yesterday. Nice improvement over the last one; gone is the dark black park the older ones have; these are a dark grey. Grey slip ring as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought 10 of these barrels.  They are nice barrels and were sold as non F.   But when I got them they were all F marked.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Who does brownells use for their barrels?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#40]
These are Ballistic Advantage, or at least have been.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought 10 of these barrels.  They are nice barrels and were sold as non F.   But when I got them they were all F marked.
View Quote

How can you sell an A1 retro  1:12 twist barrel with an F mark front site post? That’s just wrong.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weird. I just went and checked mine, the only marking on the FSB is the B1 forge code. No F.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I have 5 coming, I'll check the FSBs and report back.  Given Brownells track record with their suppliers in regards to retro stuff I would find it totally believable that some made it through with the wrong FSB.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Mine just arrived from Brownell’s this morning.  

No F mark on the front sight base, and the diameter of the barrel under the sight base is .625.

The barrel is chrome lined, but I can’t tell from looking at it if the chamber is chrome or not.

This barrel was a long time coming.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Also got mine today. Front sight base is not F marked, it does have the exact same markings as one I just got from Sherluk.
Overall nice barrel, chrome lined Bore as well, but I don’t think the chamber is chrome lined.  This will make putting together my GM Hydramatic clone a little bit easier.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Been seeing some reports on Reddit that the most recent batch are having some cant issues.

Apparently, those with the cant have been in contact with Brownells and RMA/replacements are already in the works.

Info only, didn't buy one myself.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Wow! That’s way off! I just checked mine, boresight it on a target on the wall looks pretty good. I’ll find out more when I get to the range this weekend. But it looks like I got a straight one.
That’s why I prefer to get bare

Edit: Another reason why I like getting bare barrels, I just put it on an upper and the barrel nut torque is at 30 pounds (after three torque cycles)and does not lineup good on one of the teeth. It’s slightly past where it needs to be.  
Attachment Attached File

And I’m sure even at 80 pounds I’m not gonna get it to move to the next one.
With a bare barrel I just keep changing barrel nuts until I get one that lines up great between 30-80lbs.
Gas tube will go through but it’s gonna be really tight  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#48]
The 5 I received do NOT have F-marked FSBs.  Will check for cant later.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I finally got to shoot my new Brownells Retro A1 barrel today. It shot well, no issues, no canting, I did have to crank the front sight way down( adjusted up) but it sighted in ok.  
Ok so don’t razz me too much about the grouping, this is with my right eye. After the retina surgery my vision in that eye is 20/200 at best. The target is a reduced silhouette at 100 yards (12”across the shoulders)
Attachment Attached File

At least most are in the black. The front sight post all but disappears on me. I know it’s not retro, but I could sure use one of those fiber optic front sights.

I sight in using the Canadian bull, left handed, getting hit in the face with brass the whole time!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top