Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2021 2:41:36 PM EDT
Anyone here use grill rattle can paint on theirs? If yes, did it hold up?

6/10/21 update... A can of Walmart brake cleaner made short work of that paint. I'm now exploring aluminum blackening options.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, baked one in 3 stages. It still doesn't hold up.  It also doesn't hold up to gun oils.  The safety selector binds up on the paint too, so you need to remove it from that hole.  If you don't mind it looking like a mess with all of the high edges worn to metal, then it's for you!
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownells Alumahyde holds up pretty good.  I've done several uppers and lowers. If it gets near Loctite it will peel/bubble though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Just spend the money on a can of Duracoat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
cerrakote and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used Alumahyde with good success.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
1st off, no paint is really made to stick to raw metal, need a primer.
Etching or epoxy primers work well. The Rustoleum Industrial White etching primer (spray can) latches onto aluminum rather good.
After that you need a topcoat. The 2part epoxies work good and are fairly durable. The 1k's can be used, just not as durable as the 2k's are.

If one likes the mall queen look, go all out on top-notch finishes. If one likes the "I use this damn thing" look, finish with a 1k topcoat.

Aervoe is a decent 1k, but you HAVE to let it dry for like 7 days to get full cure. Krylon camo 1k's also work.

For 2k's, Duracoat is simple and works.

Spray thin, build up as needed. Less is "more" in this case.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Cerakote, Gunkote, or anodize.

All can be done at home. I anodized the lower in my avatar and many others.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the responses.  I'm going with cerakoting.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top