Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/27/2022 8:48:43 PM EDT
I've done ballistol and water mostly. Anyone recommend anything else?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use the Hornady gun parts formula.

Works well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The Simple Green HD one. Not the regular one as it'll potentially damage your aluminum.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Simple Green HD one. Not the regular one as it'll potentially damage your aluminum.
View Quote

I didn't realize they had another formula. Is it safe for surplus and commie parts? The finishes are known to be... Shotty at best
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If in doubt, use Dawn and hot water.

One that works well is cheap Walmart paint thinner, but it's still flammable so don't walk off and leave it running.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If in doubt, use Dawn and hot water.

One that works well is cheap Walmart paint thinner, but it's still flammable so don't walk off and leave it running.
View Quote

"cheap Walmart paint thinner", AKA Mineral Spirits.
Been using it for about 20 years in my ultrasonic.
I pay a little more, and buy the odorless mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a gallon of slip 725 concentrate. Makes 5 gallons of my go to gun cleaner and is listed for ultrasonic use.

https://slip2000.com/products/725-gun-cleaner-degreaser-concentrate
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the hornady gun cleaning solution, it's relatively inexpensive and works well so never felt the need to try anything else. Took a couple years but I finally killed the bottle and last clean I used Formula 88 degreaser which is really cheap stuff from home depot I had in my garage. It worked as well or better than the hornady stuff. The hornady solution I had on order is here now, but not sure I need it LOL. No idea how "safe" the formula88 stuff is but I use it almost exclusively for cleaning ar15 BCGs so I don't think there's much harm it could do.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
50/50 Purple Power and water works well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I have only used an ultrasonic for cleaning brass, but my go to is dish soap and hot water. It is simple and cheap and it works. Parts will need liberal oiling after though because it will strip all the lube off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Pro tip:

If you’re cleaning small parts, don’t fill the UC with cleaner, put the parts in a small glass jar of cleaning solution and fill the UC with water. Place the jar in the water.

The powdered cleaner from Harbor Freight works well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the best way to keep stuff like suppressors from rattling against the metal basket and marking them up?  should I put a few rubber bands around them or something?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as the cleaner solution won't attack the rubber that would work.
A possibly better method is to use some wire to hang the part in the bath so it won't touch anything.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Purple Power or Simple Green, but beware as there are different formulas of them.  The strong ones will eat aluminum in the ultrasonic.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top