Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2018 1:35:44 PM EDT
I just picked up a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner. One of the 9 liter big ones that can do entire uppers. A question for anyone else who has one:

What do you do about the excessive drying of the exterior of your weapons?

I knew everything would come out dry, but the stuff is bone dry. To the point that I had to rub down the exterior of my glocks with a little oil just to get the exterior back to normal. Unlike some others, the Hornady doesn’t have the lubrication cycle. Anyone have some pointers about what settings work best for them and what they do to post-treat their guns?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I only have the little guy and have done slides, barrels, etc.

I simply re-lube the surface.  Boeshield T-9 is what I usually use, but CLP works fine too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a mixture of Ballistol and water in my ultrasonic cleaner....everything comes out with a nice thin coating of oil, any excess gets wiped off and all is well
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy an "old time" shaving brush and apply light oil
to the bristles then brush your parts.
Re-apply oil as needed. Let sit overnight and wipe off excess with a rag.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Oil it after. Use a wax on slides. Drain the tank, clean it and use one of the ultrasonic lubes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
That's normal. Just do a little wipe down with whatever is handy. I bet that big cleaner is nice.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
As unicorn said, I've used one of the U/S lubes.  You have to change the solution.

Really only needed on things that you can't get to, like doing a handgun frame (or an upper/lower receiver).  If doing something like a handgun barrel I just wipe it with an oily patch like I would if I cleaned it normally.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m a big fan of Tuf Glide. I don’t have an ultrasonic, but the guy who put me onto it used it for the same purpose you’re inquiring about.

Works great in keeping my carry guns protected. A little goes a long way. To apply, I don’t spray it directly on the firearm. Spray a microfiber cloth first and then wipe down with the cloth.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a oil soaked wipe. I use the TW25b presoaked. Though you can use whatever your favorite brand is and they usually have a presoaked wipe.

For my ultra sonic, I only put in barrels or uppers or loose parts like bcg or whatnot. Never lowers, slides, or pistol frames. I use simple green industrial HD, get it really hot, then rinse it off, and use a hair dryer to dry everything. I then use a wipe to clean and lube everything.

I been doing it for about 4 months now since I got into ultrasonic cleaning. Haven't had any issues or rust.

I've been kicking myself for not getting a ultrasonic cleaner sooner. I have the cheapo ultrasonic from Harbor Freight. Then I saw the Hornady one go on sale then I picked it up right away. I really like it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the large Hornady ultra sonic cleaner as well.  I've been using it now for a couple of years to clean handgun slides and AR platform upper receivers.  It is about the only way I can get my PWS SBR uppers clean after hard use with a suppressor.  I have no ties to Lucas Oils, but I've been using this product with good success and less dry out.  Might give it a shot.
Lucas Oils EXTREME DUTY BORE SOLVENT & ULTRASONIC GUN CLEANER
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top