Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2021 5:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon]
Ultradyne Back-Up Iron Sights

The new Ultradyne back-up iron sights for the AR-15 are the most innovative back-up iron sights that I’ve used; particularly their HK style front sight. Unlike the fundamentally flawed HK style front sights manufactured by Troy Industries, Precision Reflex, Samson etc, the Ultradyne HK style front sight maintains the proper orientation of the front sight post within the circular front sight “ears” throughout its entire range of elevation and windage adjustment.  The entire sight housing moves when making adjustments.

You may have noticed in the previous sentence that I said “elevation and windage adjustment.” The unique feature of the front sight having windage adjustment allows you to obtain a no-wind zero by making adjustments solely to the front sight.

The Ultradyne front sight employs interchangeable front sight posts. There are currently five different front sight posts available; four of them are aperture posts and one is a blade post the size of the standard A2 front sight post. The interchangeable front sight posts are a proprietary design. Mil-spec front sight posts will not work with the Ultradyne front sight.

The Ultradyne rear back-up iron sight also has interchangeable apertures. Two rear apertures are currently available; a 0.050” aperture and a 0.070” aperture. The rear sight can also be used without either rear aperture installed, giving you a ghost-ring sight picture. The rear sight is also adjustable for windage and elevation.

I mounted the Ultradyne back-up iron sights (with the 14 MOA aperture front sight post and 0.050" rear sight aperture) on one of my Krieger barreld AR-15s. Using match-grade hand-loads and shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards, I was able to achieve a 10-shot group that had an extreme spread of 0.71”.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:01:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!
Great to see some info about these.
I've been checking them out, but wasn't sure if I wanted the ring front post or standard.
Thanks for writing this up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:35:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#2]
Wow! Very impressive.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: INI] [#3]
I have a set of the C2's with the standard post. They are really nice.

ETA: price is up $30 for the set since I bought mine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:27:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:

Am I right in assuming that these are intended for target shooting at circular targets at known distances?  the sight picture being two concentric outer circles with the target at the very center?

View Quote

You can use them for shooting at any shape of targets that you want, at any distances you want.  The aperture front sight post does help some people's eyes (mine included) to shoot more precisely at round targets.  You can also replace the front sight aperture with an A2 sized front sight post.

Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the idea, and would like to see a front sight post threaded to work with an A2 front sight base.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By zukiphile:
I like the idea, and would like to see a front sight post threaded to work with an A2 front sight base.
View Quote
Believe they have one in the C2 design. I looked at their website.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The different front sight posts available.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
As much as they cost, they could've beveled the edges more

Those sharp edges on the front and sides make them look super cheap, along with that awful font/engraving

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#11]
Originally Posted By Molon:
Ultradyne Back-Up Iron Sights

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/ultradyne_front_01-1300675.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/ultradyne_rear_01-1300677.jpg

The new Ultradyne back-up iron sights for the AR-15 are the most innovative back-up iron sights that I’ve used; particularly their HK style front sight. Unlike the fundamentally flawed HK style front sights manufactured by Troy Industries, Precision Reflex, Samson etc, the Ultradyne HK style front sight maintains the proper orientation of the front sight post within the circular front sight “ears” throughout its entire range of elevation and windage adjustment.  The entire sight housing moves when making adjustments.

You may have noticed in the previous sentence that I said “elevation and windage adjustment.” The unique feature of the front sight having windage adjustment allows you to obtain a no-wind zero by making adjustments solely to the front sight.

The Ultradyne front sight employs interchangeable front sight posts. There are currently five different front sight posts available; four of them are aperture posts and one is a blade post the size of the standard A2 front sight post. The interchangeable front sight posts are a proprietary design. Mil-spec front sight posts will not work with the Ultradyne front sight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/ultradyne_front_02-1300676.jpg

The Ultradyne rear back-up iron sight also has interchangeable apertures. Two rear apertures are currently available; a 0.050” aperture and a 0.070” aperture. The rear sight can also be used without either rear aperture installed, giving you a ghost-ring sight picture. The rear sight is also adjustable for windage and elevation.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/ultradyne_rear_02-1300678.jpg

I mounted the Ultradyne back-up iron sights (with the 14 MOA aperture front sight post and 0.050" rear sight aperture) on one of my Krieger barreld AR-15s. Using match-grade hand-loads and shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards, I was able to achieve a 10-shot group that had an extreme spread of 0.71”.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/ultradyne_buis_10_shot_group_at_100_yard-1300685.jpg

View Quote

Apologies for the late post.  Is there any data on how rugged they would be for hard use?  Clearly, they are outstanding for target shooting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GabeDenzine13] [#12]
As a part of Ultradyne, I can guarentee whatever you put them through, they will hold up.

If something happens to them along the way, we will take care of you. Also, the design has changed since the pictures you posted above. Here's an updated image! - https://ultradyneusa.com/product/c4-folding-front-and-rear-sight-combo/
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#13]
There goes that old wives tale that you need a scope to shoot small groups!
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RayDBonz:
View Quote
Not just a scope. A high magnification scope.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GabeDenzine13:
Also, the design has changed since the pictures you posted above. Here's an updated image! - https://ultradyneusa.com/product/c4-folding-front-and-rear-sight-combo/
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I’d really like to try the front post. Any chance those will be produced in mil-spec to swap?
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Think that is going to be eyesight dependent.  And as Col. Cooper opined, "Printing tiny groups is only critical if the printing of tiny groups is the object of the exercise, and this is usually not the case."

Seems like a one trick pony type of front sight.  What do you do when your target is too close or too far for the selected aperture?  Yo, can you just stand there while I swap my aperture, Mr Bad Guy?

I'll pass
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
 What do you do when your target is too close or too far for the selected aperture?  Yo, can you just stand there while I swap my aperture, Mr Bad Guy?
View Quote

Wanna know how I know that you've never even done any shooting with aperture sights.  Hint: the target is never "too close or too far for the selected aperture."

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Wanna know how I know that you've never even done any shooting with aperture sights.  Hint: the target is never "too close or too far for the selected aperture."

View Quote

Rear aperture, yes.  Front?  Meh!  If the target has to "fit" into that aperture, distance and target size matter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
If the target has to "fit" into that aperture, distance and target size matter.
View Quote

And you continue to demonstrate that you have no clue what you're talking about.

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#21]
If a target is too big/close, just ghost ring it into center mass. If a target is too small/far, well, aim small miss small.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#22]

And you continue to demonstrate that you have no clue what you're talking about.

View Quote

I have never used a front aperture, that is true.  It seems a solution in search of a problem.  Peep and post has been working well for me for 4 decades.  My eyes would have a hell of a time seeing anything through that front hole.  Again, I'll pass.  Knock yourself out, I just don't see an advantage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 2:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#23]
These look cool.  How far does the rear sight elevation knob adjust to?

[Ah.  The video says 200-600]
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 9:30:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#24]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
These look cool.  How far does the rear sight elevation knob adjust to?

[Ah.  The video says 200-600]
View Quote

I haven't personally verified these specs yet.

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:18:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brk_bigboss] [#25]
I might have to try these out. I have the same style on my 1903a3 camp perry that’s been handed down.

The sights are unbelievably accurate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#26]
What makes them worth $274?
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BerlinVet:
What makes them worth $274?
View Quote
I don't believe there's another set out there that does the same thing to zero.

No one makes an elevation and windage adjustable front sight.  These guys make a set for Picatinny, but 45 off-sets as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
No one makes an elevation and windage adjustable front sight.
View Quote

Even their less expensive "C2" sights have this unique feature.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By brk_bigboss:
I have the same style on my 1903 camp perry that’s been handed down.
View Quote

Can you post some pics of the sights?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#31]

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

It's all about fundamentals of marksmanship!

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
aim small miss small.
View Quote

One of my favorite scenes.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Molon

Iv'e been eyeballing these for a couple years now.

My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I still love to get the irons out and challenge myself once and a while.

Oh and PS. I see they never got rid of him.

What a shame.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brk_bigboss:
I have the same style on my 1903 camp perry that’s been handed down.

@Molon

Don’t know how I missed your request. The rifle is a very accurate. Here you go:

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Any plans for a set of fixed sights?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By m6z:
Any plans for a set of fixed sights?
View Quote

If you were asking me, I haven't seen a fixed rear sight from Ultradyne.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By savagemann:
I've been checking them out, but wasn't sure if I wanted the ring front post or standard.
View Quote

In Arfcom fashion, get both!

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Hate to reopen and old thread, but questions went unanswered:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By SIASL:
I’d really like to try the front post. Any chance those will be produced in mil-spec to swap?

I put C2s on a new build last summer.  Came to very much like the aperture front post, so swapped a C4 10moa post into another sight.

Threaded shaft is a bit longer than mil-std, but it fit my sight fine. Other sights may need a few threads cut off.

Presents an interesting co-witness picture with a PA 1x Microprism.  Not that a prism needs it, but just in case.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top