Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2022 8:58:54 AM EDT
For those of us who want simple 1.25" two point slings, is there any reason to NOT go USGI?

There are a zillion sling options available. I prefer M1 cotton or seatbelt slings but that won't work well on M4gery.

USGI is $16 new and $6 surplus.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Like the A2 FH, that sling will meet 95% of most people’s needs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them and have them on my secondary rifles.

My only complaint is that they're short.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're shooting mostly static/bench they work.
If you're changing positions regularly I'd look at something quickly adjustable like a VTAC.
Based on your post date this ain't exactly news to you but that helps a lot if you need to cinch down to move around or stabilize a shot in a tricky position/stance.

On my first AFG trip we got the hardware and webbing to make some VTAC knock-offs with the alice buckles for everybody on the COP, I think the material cost would have been $5-15 per sling. 1-2" nylon webbing, triglides, alice/2-way buckle, 550 cord.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:
If you're changing positions regularly I'd look at something quickly adjustable like a VTAC.
Based on your post date this ain't exactly news to you but that helps a lot if you need to cinch down to move around or stabilize a shot in a tricky position/stance.

On my first AFG trip we got the hardware and webbing to make some VTAC knock-offs with the alice buckles for everybody on the COP, I think the material cost would have been $5-15 per sling. 1-2" nylon webbing, triglides, alice/2-way buckle, 550 cord.
View Quote

Do you have any photos of the slings on rifles?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CountyWorker:

Do you have any photos of the slings on rifles?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/10/2022 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:

View Quote
I'm far from a door kicker, but the VTAC slings rock.  I have at least a dozen of them scattered across a variety of AR's.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s my favorite sling. It’s cheap, reliable, and meets 99.9 % of shooters needs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#8]
So I have a somewhat retro-ish A2 (with masterkey) that I'm looking to put a sling on, and have been considering a silent sling, but... I'm really wanting some sort of adjustment, just without the sliding plastic bracket like on the VCAS.
It's there anything out there that's somewhat like a silent sling, meaning 1.25" and simple, but also quickly adjustable?
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:
It's there anything out there that's somewhat like a silent sling, meaning 1.25" and simple, but also quickly adjustable?
View Quote

You could make your own.  I have some ladder lock buckles and webbing with which I've made a few.

That's not a knock on any of the commercial manufacturers, but I know what a want a sling to do and they might not.  I like to be able to adjust the tension on a hasty sling while slung up.  I can have everything adjusted with triglides or sewn in place, and know that if I reach for the adjustment strap, it's where I want it.  I can also decide if I want one end attached by a triglide knot only or involve paracord or a QD swivel, and make a different decision for the other end.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By walldj45:

View Quote

The M4 sling is longer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By zukiphile:

You could make your own.  I have some ladder lock buckles and webbing with which I've made a few.

That's not a knock on any of the commercial manufacturers, but I know what a want a sling to do and they might not.  I like to be able to adjust the tension on a hasty sling while slung up.  I can have everything adjusted with triglides or sewn in place, and know that if I reach for the adjustment strap, it's where I want it.  I can also decide if I want one end attached by a triglide knot only or involve paracord or a QD swivel, and make a different decision for the other end.
View Quote

Yeah, I just don't have any of the necessary equipment, notably a sewing machine.
There are lots of great adjustable two-point slings out there, but not very many that are 1.25" wide.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:
Yeah, I just don't have any of the necessary equipment, notably a sewing machine.
There are lots of great adjustable two-point slings out there, but not very many that are 1.25" wide.
View Quote

I have a sewing machine in the house, but I'm not smart enough to work it.

A bag of triglides can be cheap.

I also have a some 1-1.5 loops that allow use of 1.5 inch webbing in the parts that touch my arm or shoulder and one inch webbing for adjustment.  https://www.strapworks.com/1-12-to-1-inch-plastic-reducing-loop-black  That might not be a solution for everyone, but it's easier for me to deal with a padded sling.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 302w:
For those of us who want simple 1.25" two point slings, is there any reason to NOT go USGI?

There are a zillion sling options available. I prefer M1 cotton or seatbelt slings but that won't work well on M4gery.

USGI is $16 new and $6 surplus.
View Quote

Dumb question here, I’m looking to purchase a few plain Jain USGI slings.  Where can one purchase these surplus?  Any online vendors that are preferred?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:06:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#14]
Originally Posted By walldj45:

View Quote

There are two different USGI silent slings.
M16 is short as only intended for parade carry. 51" Sling, Small Arms 1005-01-216-4570
M4 is longer for cross body.  74" Sling, Small Arms 1005-01-368-9852
Attachment Attached File

Two blank adapters for different gas pressures.  Red M16 and Yellow M4

CD
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Why would you guys want a sling that meets 95% of your needs? I want a sling to meet 100%, no substitutions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tatsngats:
Why would you guys want a sling that meets 95% of your needs? I want a sling to meet 100%, no substitutions.
View Quote

May not meet all your needs but it does mine.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top