Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2021 5:02:33 AM EDT
Update: blue loktite and a drill bit got it out!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

this is my first 80%, first AR308, first build.
tonight i assembled my upper, then realized my stupid ass put a roll pin in to hold the bolt catch in place, instead of a bolt catch screw. Ive never seen that sort of thing, and the Aero M5 parts kit came with pin and a 4-40 set screw that I used (Its a touch small/meant for takedown detent)
I didnt realize my folly until too late.
no clue how the hell i am going to get the roll pin out and to make matters worse 5Dtactical wants $14 to ship a $2.50 screw.

anyhow, learn from my mistake.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Just leave it in.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just leave it in.
View Quote

End of thread/
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
the bolt catch has wobble, I'll get it out one way or another. It'll either work it's way out or I'll try something to get it out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Could you screw a tiny screw into the roll pin then pull it out with pliers? The screw would have to be real small though not to spread it out and jam it more.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Could you screw a tiny screw into the roll pin then pull it out with pliers? The screw would have to be real small though not to spread it out and jam it more.
View Quote

He called it a roll pin, but later in the post called it a detent..
At this point, I'm not sure what it is.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just leave it in.
View Quote

I'm with this guy. Did you do it wrong? Maybe, but it works so why fuck with it? Just run it like it is.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the bolt catch has wobble, I'll get it out one way or another. It'll either work it's way out or I'll try something to get it out.
View Quote

That sounds pretty frustrating.
Can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#9]
If you were able to get the pin in there, you should be able to get it out, just not as easily. The question is ... are the threads still good? Maybe, if not probably. I'd try using the screw and see how it fits. If it does, then just use some thread Locker just to aid in a more secure hold.

A friend of mine recently installed a Magpul B.A.D. lever on his bolt catch on his first build. He used blue Loktite on the 2-piece clamp ... too much. The excess ran down into his bolt catch and it locked it HARD into place. Don't underestimate blue Loktite. It took a good while to burn & clean the bolt catch out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I once had a brain fart installing a trigger guard in a buddy's lower. We didn't use the set screw, drilled it out and used a pin instead. Later realized our error.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like "dremel time"
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like "dremel time"
View Quote

I believe we something more delicate for this. Perhaps try to find the correct size punch.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe we something more delicate for this. Perhaps try to find the correct size punch.
View Quote

I believe those pockets are closed on one end so you can't just drift it out from the other side.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
The pocket is only accessible from one end. I have been more focused on getting my MOE grip to fit up comfortably so I haven’t attempted to pull the stuck/improperly placed pin out yet. I’m going to see if the head of a sewing pin will fit in the hole of the roll pin, perhaps the lip of the pin head will be enough to catch and pull, if not then I’ll just run the bolt catch as it is and see if the pin works it’s way out naturally. I’ll post pics up a little later, the lower and parts are in the home office and my wife is workin.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
If you can remove the pin:
Chase the threads and install with the correct set screw add a tiny bit of lock-tite  to the threads. Less is more in this case.

If you cannot remove the pin:
drive a small punch into the center of it to expand the pin until the wobble stops.

OP we have all made mistakes so either way you will be fine.

To Aero Precision, I like the set screw idea to make installation easier but warn-a-brotha bout this shit befo you change shit up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#16]
That’s pretty much the plan. One of my drill bits fits inside the pin, I’m going to apply a tiny bit of blue lock tire and see if I can’t pull the pin out that way.

This is a 5D tactical lower but it doesn’t appear to be a proprietary way of securing the Bolt Catch on these .308 guns, I’ve just never seen it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That’s pretty much the plan. One of my drill bits fits inside the pin, I’m going to apply a tiny bit of blue lock tire and see if I can’t pull the pin out that way.

This is a 5D tactical lower but it doesn’t appear to be a proprietary way of securing the Bolt Catch on these .308 guns, I’ve just never seen it.
View Quote

Drill all the way through the front with that small drill bit. Then slightly enlarge the front with another bit. Then you should be able to drive the pin out. You'll have to use a pin vise to hold the drill bit.

Disregard!! I suppose I confused the M5 parts kit with the 5D lower.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Drill all the way through the front with that small drill bit. The slightly enlarge the front with another bit. Then you should be able to drive the pin out. You'll have to use a pin vise to hold the drill bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's pretty much the plan. One of my drill bits fits inside the pin, I'm going to apply a tiny bit of blue lock tire and see if I can't pull the pin out that way.

This is a 5D tactical lower but it doesn't appear to be a proprietary way of securing the Bolt Catch on these .308 guns, I've just never seen it.

Drill all the way through the front with that small drill bit. The slightly enlarge the front with another bit. Then you should be able to drive the pin out. You'll have to use a pin vise to hold the drill bit.

Looks like this

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I have removed roll pins in the past by running a tap into the center (be really careful when doing this), and as soon as you have cut a thread or two, grip the tap with vise grips, and gently tap it with a small hammer towards the rear.
Being such a small pin, you may be down to a 2-56 or an o-80 size tap, so it's very important not to put any side load on it, or it will snap off.

Just trying to run a screw into it, will expand the pin, making it fit tighter.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the responses and tips everyone.
The linked lower is a good representation of my issue, one way in and out for the pin.
If the the drill bit loktite doesn’t work I’ll get a tap and try that. If none of that works I plug it and it is what it is.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wow.. I'm impressed. Glad to see you got it out !
View Quote

Huh? What did I miss?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Huh? What did I miss?
View Quote

Yer not alone...
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yer not alone...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? What did I miss?

Yer not alone...

check the update in my original post.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Very cool! I bet that was quite satisfying too

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#26]
SO WHAT SIZE is the set screw in the lower bolt catch hole. i lost mine and have to get another from fastenal. thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SO WHAT SIZE is the set screw in the lower bolt catch hole. i lost mine and have to get another from fastenal. thanks
View Quote

Per 5DTactical it is “standard bolt catch screw sized at 6-32 thread pitch 1/16” hex socket”.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Per 5DTactical it is “standard bolt catch screw sized at 6-23 thread pitch 1/16” hex socket”.

That would be 6-32, and the hex socket of most of the pins I've encountered was 3/32". 5D's pin may have 1/16" socket. The threaded end of that catch pin is larger than the shank that goes thru the catch itself. You could use a 6-32 set screw if you have the capability of turning off some of the threads and keeping it uniform. I bought a bunch of the DPMS LR-308 pins from CDNN when DPMS went out of business. Am now in the process of converting AR-15 lowers to use that pin. Had to fashion a couple special tools to perform the installation, but the job takes about five minutes. Makes the installation/removal of bolt catches infinitely easier.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That would be 6-32, and the hex socket of most of the pins I've encountered was 3/32". 5D's pin may have 1/16" socket. The threaded end of that catch pin is larger than the shank that goes thru the catch itself. You could use a 6-32 set screw if you have the capability of turning off some of the threads and keeping it uniform. I bought a bunch of the DPMS LR-308 pins from CDNN when DPMS went out of business. Am now in the process of converting AR-15 lowers to use that pin. Had to fashion a couple special tools to perform the installation, but the job takes about five minutes. Makes the installation/removal of bolt catches infinitely easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Per 5DTactical it is “standard bolt catch screw sized at 6-23 thread pitch 1/16” hex socket”.

thanks, I dont know how the hell I dislexic'ed that up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top