Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2018 10:57:34 PM EDT
I just put a lightweight bolt carrier in my 3 gun carbine.  It's already got an adjustable gas block and now I have a spring pack to adjust the JP SCS.

I'm wondering where to start tuning it for the most reliable cycling and least recoil.

Would you go less gas and less spring?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

But don't work on two variables at once.

Pick your spring and then adjust gas to make your tifke run with it.

If that won't work, go up one doring and try again... Repeat.

ETA: if you tune in the summer add one click to gas block setting for cold weather use.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Watching these two videos from JP should help.

Gas vs. Mass Regulation in Your AR
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Those are great!

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just put a lightweight bolt carrier in my 3 gun carbine.  It's already got an adjustable gas block and now I have a spring pack to adjust the JP SCS.

I'm wondering where to start tuning it for the most reliable cycling and least recoil.

Would you go less gas and less spring?
View Quote
bendigo:  I suggest you start with the lightest spring, to avoid excessive forward speed of the bolt going into battery.  Then dial back the gas block and start to gradually increase the amount of gas until fresh cartridges reliably feed, fire and eject to the preferred 3 to 4 oclock pattern.  If this isn't achieved readily, then incrementally increase the strength of the spring and start again.  Not sure what JP advises, but my ultralight 6.8 rifle has a reduced power spring from Taccom to keep the BCG's return speed within spec and avoid any bounce. - CW
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I tested it last weekend.  Went with the lightest spring and dialed the gas block back 2 clicks.

XM193 ejected out at 3 oclock and tula ejected out to 4 oclock.

Very happy with the results.  Rifle is fairly lightweight but the crosshairs move about a foot at 100yards.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top