Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2018 9:52:47 PM EDT
Afternoon gents,

Had my 10.5 inch AR pistol out for a little range time today.  She's always functioned 100% with various ammo - until today.

I tried some 55 grain TulaAmmo and had a malfunction about every other round. Failure to eject, failure to feed.

I've always run a H2 buffer in my pistol and its never been a problem - even with Wolf ammo.  Changed out the buffer for a standard buffer and still had problems.

Anyone have this same problem  ?  Do I just need better blasting ammo  ?

Thanks !
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Tula is shit. If u want to go super cheap just shoot wolf. You said it works.

I usually plink with the cheapest brass I can find.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot tulammo out of my 10.5 PSA ar psitol without issues
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tula is shit. If u want to go super cheap just shoot wolf. You said it works.

I usually plink with the cheapest brass I can find.
View Quote
No. There is an issue.  The gun should chew through it.  Both of mine do. Shit, they do with adjustable gas blocks not even letting all the gas through.  Plenty of other people have success to.

Whether it’s a gas port size issue or something else it’s an issue. Your average AR shouod he able to eat everything and if it can’t I don’t care what brand it is, it’s worthless imo. I just don’t understand. Why?  Why tolerate a gun that is finicky?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Tula is junk but all of my AR's have always functioned just fine with it.  It's dirty, underpowered, and inaccurate, but it's never failed to feed and go bang for me.  That's on a wildly overgassed 7.5", a soft shooting 11.5" with adjustable gas block, and a couple 16" carbine length uppers.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 10.5's and 11.8's that chew that shit all day long.  Load one round, shoot it, does the bolt lock back?  Start from there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The new zinc coated tula? or the old copper wash bullet tula.

The zinc works good for me, shoots pretty decent.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Tula is known to pretty much be the weakest of the weak.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Just avoid it in the future.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#9]
2 PSA 10.5" pistols - never an issue Tula.  I use standard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Tula actually chronos fast out of a 16” barrel. It’s a slow burning powder but I think that slower burning powder doesn’t always play well with ARs if they’re undergassed. Would not be my first choice out of a 10” barrel. For me it doesn’t group as consistently as other steel case .223

If switching to a std. buffer won’t run Tula, I’d try a softer buffer spring, like a Springco yellow. I have a .300bo 8” pistol with a lightweight carrier, std. buffer and Springco yellow for subs and I swap in a std. spring & H2 buffer for supers.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top