Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2020 8:43:44 PM EDT
A fairly short while ago I bought 1000 rounds of the above ammo.  I didn’t buy it because I liked  it, or because it was cheap I bought because it was the only thing available at the time.  I shot  the last of it today.  Most of the warnings guys gave me about the ammo were wrong.  It didn’t break my ejector, it didn’t break my firing pin and the lacquer on the steel casings didn’t melt in my barrel.  The patterns at 50 and 100 yards in my 10.5 “ were similar to the Federals I like.  The grouping from my 16” and 18”  at 100 yards was real close to my usual rounds.   My range only goes to 100.   The Russian stuff was a lot dirtier but not a big deal.  Overall it was fine.  Anyone else ever try it?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
My only complaint with Tula is with it being underpowered. I guess if GP diameter is man hole cover sized it's not as big of a deal.

As far as the lacquer melting and gluing the cases to the chamber....web lore. I won't own a gun that won't cycle steel case ammo personally. Wolf Polyformance/Military Classic is my go to. Really want to try some of the Barnaul 62 grain fodder.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Barnaul 62 grain JHP good stuff, wish I had bought a pallet at 30¢/r
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't put steel through a rifle in awhile but don't really have any reservations about doing so if it's just plinking/training. If the rifle won't shoot it, it's not a rifle I can trust.

In 2018 I shot countless thousands of rounds of the SG Ammo Barnaul contract stuff. Outside of the occasional hard primer it never caused any issues.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot lots of steel. Makes for good short range training ammo.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve shot and used it.
It’s dirty, underpowered, and cheap.
I use it for full auto stuff but other wise ..... no.  

I have better full powered, and far more accurate ammunition for serious use.  

But if works for you, GREAT.."...... in normal times it is cheap!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same, man.

By the time I caught on the .26/rd deal was gone. Almost .70/rd last I actually found some in stock.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:04:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I bought 1000. Shot half of it. Nice shooting ammo. No issues.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#8]
In my experience the Tula 556 with the unplated bullets is the worst ammo on the market. I wouldn’t pay more than $0.10/rd for it.

Im hardly an ammo snob, most of my AR shooting is Wolf. If you got the same result with Tula and Federal, it’s you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I run a 10.3 SBR. Underpowered doesn't matter when its going only to 200 yards max. It'll kill shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Tula is fine for the range, but I like wolf poly coated a lot better. Brown Bear is decent steel case too. I currently have 2k of the bad Golden Tiger stuff with the hard primers that came on the market a few years ago, I just ordered an enhanced firing pin and stronger hammer spring for my main rifle so I can fire that stuff off. I'll be using that ammo for the time being as it's really the only ammo I wouldn't mind burning up during this panic. The rifle, a 6920, has had probably 6-7k of steel case and 3-4k of brass through it. No issues with wear and tear on the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I run a 10.3 SBR. Underpowered doesn't matter when its going only to 200 yards max. It'll kill shit.
View Quote

I wouldn't go too far into the "It'll kill shit....." mode.....

With a 10.3 you are already running low velocities.....
Then with Tula being under powdered….  even less velocity.....
The FMJ bullet being used really needs velocity to fragment/deform and you've REALLY taken away from that.

So it's "sortta better than a sharp stick"...…..    

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The ‘melting lacquer’ issue is a non-factor since it can’t be removed from the case with a torch.

What would sometimes happen is the little red flakes from the primer & case-mouth sealant could gum up the bolt group. I’ve had them mix with LSA oil in a very hot AR & turn into ‘boogers’ that started to clog things, but only after a lot of shooting on hot days with lots of lube inside the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The real problem with most of the Russian stuff is consistency. Lots of good lots with occasional shit jamming underpowered crap hitting the shelves. Hard primers are also fairly common. .308 has really been hit or miss. Brown bear and golden tiger is generally better than Tula/wolf but like I said it’s a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've shot lots of steel. Makes for good short range training ammo.
View Quote

this.

replaced barrels with the savings.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently finished building a pistol with a gas-length gas system and have experienced intermittent failure to feed and the bolt not staying open on the last round.

I've switched magazines, used lighter buffers, and super lubricated the BCG with little improvement. The one factor that has stayed fairly constant is the ammo: TulAmmo (and Frontier).

Next range trip will use better ammo and a different BCG (could be the gas key).

This thread gives me hope that the ammo is the main cause of the problem.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Tula is the only ammo tried that wouldn't reliably cycle my STG556, it's consistently under powered.

I like the polymer coated wolf the best of steel case 223.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I recently finished building a pistol with a gas-length gas system and have experienced intermittent failure to feed and the bolt not staying open on the last round.

I've switched magazines, used lighter buffers, and super lubricated the BCG with little improvement. The one factor that has stayed fairly constant is the ammo: TulAmmo (and Frontier).

Next range trip will use better ammo and a different BCG (could be the gas key).

This thread gives me hope that the ammo is the main cause of the problem.
View Quote

Have you tried heavier buffer and/or spring?  The same symptoms can be too much gas.

ETA: To stay on topic, I've shot a few cases of Tula without issue.  It performs the same as any other Russian animal ammo; wolf, bear, etc.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top