Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2021 7:16:12 AM EDT
I have been looking at a few rifles to get into long distance shooting and just an overall quality SHTF rifle, but I don't know if the ones that I'm looking at would be able to consistently get 1 MOA accuracy.  I'm looking for a rifle with a 16inch barrel and will be putting a 1-6x LPVO on it.  Some possible options that I've been weighing are the BCM Recce 16 and Daniel Defense DDM4V7, but would they be 1 MOA rifles?  Please make suggestions of other possible rifles/manufacturers and help point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Spend some time researching LaRue.  I think they are a good balance between accuracy and durability.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck. Little suggestion. If you internet for what you're looking for, a 16" barreled AR is considered a carbine. Can make a difference when searching.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
By definition, a ‘Battle Rifle’ is a full-sized caliber (.308 in our case) semi automatic with iron sights for engagements up to 500yd. Accuracy standards for the rifle+sight+shooter system is 4MOA.

Modern technology has kinda made that definition obsolete as optics are almost as robust as iron sights, and 1MOA mechanical precision is pretty easy to achieve.

Most large frame ARs will be capable of what you’re looking for, but if you’re insisting on 1-MOA accuracy is DMR/sniper rifle territory when considering shooter capabilities and good factory ammunition.

A few months ago, I built what I consider a ‘modern battle rifle’ on a PSA PA-10 receiver set and 16” Advantage Barrel. Aside from the 1-4 VXR Patrol scope, I have about $700 into it total. It shoots ~1.5MOA off a bench with FGMM 168/175s and weighs in at just over 9lbs with scope. No issues with
keeping hits on an “E” silhouette 100yd standing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for not being any help. Little advice, a 16" barrel AR is considered a rifle too
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The DD has a better chance of being accurate the BCM IMO.

I have had barrels from both.  The DD are more consistently accurate.  BCM is great quality, but their barrels can lack in accuracy.

Other brands to look at would be Centurion CM4 rifle and Sionics.  I have a few Sionics barrels and they shoot right around MOA which for a battle rifle set up is better than normal.

Another consideration would be to build one (or at least buy upper complete and build out lower.  Trigger is a big part of accuracy and you can put a Larue MBT, or SSA-e to help in that department.  If you go with Centurion you can have them put in their 2 stage which is really good too.

Maybe consider buying a recce upper with a stainless barrel if accuracy is that important.  A recon barrel from Compass Lake with a Douglas or Krieger blank will do the trick.  White Oak also sells a recon type upper as well that is a little cheaper.  They are shooters

A 1x6 also isnt the best optic to squeeze accuracy out of, especially if shooting longer distances.  You are most likely going to have to make some compromises somewhere, or get 2 different guns.  A battle rifle doesnt need to be 1 MOA IMO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Any cheap reputable manufacture AR rifle will do. AA, RRA, Delton and the like.

Go with a decent barrel WOA or a SS RRA barrel will be fine for the job.

A 1X6 glass isn't the best choice but neither is a 16 inch barrel for long range.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't take this the wrong way, but there are a lot of conflicting things in your first post.  You'll first need to specify what you consider "long range".  223/5.56 is not typically considered a "long range" cartridge.  In the AR15 platform, you'd need to look at the 224 Valkyrie or the 6.5 Grendel.  Also, "long range gun" and "SHTF gun" are not typically the same configuration.  If your gun is set up for true long range use, it will be very ineffective in a SHTF scenario.  Also, you said you wanted a 16" rifle, but if you want a true "long range" rifle then a 16" barrel is not a great choice at all.  16" barrel would be fine for a SHTF gun, but not for long range shooting.

Also, the gun is only half the equation when you're trying to shoot for accuracy.  The other half of the equation is the ammo that you're shooting.  Don't get all hung up on just one half of the equation.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]
May have been said already above, @N0NAP hit a lot of the points....but I will add this...

I would focus less on 1 MOA and more on the reliability side....I have found over my many years and performance of my collection...if you are buying a rifle off the rack and not assembling yourself, that any quality manufacturer will produce an accurate rifle that is consistently and reliably good...

IMO, like I said IMO, long range and 556 are not going going to agree....what is long range to some is not to me and vice versa for other people.  For what I do, shoot and at my range, long distance to me is 300 yards....

I can tell you this, my rifles are reliable as the sunrise...are they the most accurate?  Well as noted, depends on mainly me, the the ammo, optics and other factors.   I have some rifles that are MOA and less and I have a very expensive rifle, a KAC SR25 that no matter what I do will not drop below 1.5 MOA....but it is damn reliable.  I had a FAL that would go bang every time, very reliable, but was also a 3 MOA rifle....frustrated me at the time to no end, but looking back, it was a great rifle.....all depends on what you have

Set your parameters, decide the scenarios and buy quality and chances are what ever you get will cover your requirements.

Also, my most accurate rifles are my Larue's and Daniel Defense.  I have a DD V7SLW that is fantastic, will shoot less than 1 MOA, but I have to be on my game, I am not the best shot by a long stretch
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for not being any help. Little advice, a 16" barrel AR is considered a rifle too
View Quote

Well, that was just . . . rude!

Maybe you search for manners when asking other people for help.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did see that comment by the OP
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#11]
It might be harder to find the right Ammo than finding right rifle......
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been looking at a few rifles to get into long distance shooting and just an overall quality SHTF rifle, but I don't know if the ones that I'm looking at would be able to consistently get 1 MOA accuracy.  I'm looking for a rifle with a 16inch barrel and will be putting a 1-6x LPVO on it.  Some possible options that I've been weighing are the BCM Recce 16 and Daniel Defense DDM4V7, but would they be 1 MOA rifles?  Please make suggestions of other possible rifles/manufacturers and help point me in the right direction.
View Quote

It might be easier and better to get any decent basic AR with a free float rail and then either install a match barrel and good trigger or have a gunsmith do it.

I did that with a S&W M&P 15 (not the Sport).  The key ingredients were:

1.  Daniel Defense free float rail,

2.  Lilja M4 Navy 16" barrel (416 stainless, Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist) match/benchrest quality),

3.  Geissele SSA-E two stage trigger (3.5 lb total pull through, 1.2 lb second stage)

The barrel is the true original Recce barrel specified by NSWC Crane and built by Lilja for Navy SEALS.  The profile is unique - heavy under the handguard, but a straight .725" from the gas block forward.

Any in spec AR15 upper and lower will work.  The key to a 16" Recce type rifle and sub MOA accuracy is the match barrel, refined trigger, and a durable free float barrel.  You can use standard M4 stock and grip, or accessorize as you deem fit.

FWIW, this combination has proven to be deeply sub MOA, typically sub 1/2 MOA with match ammo.  Other match grade stainless barrels of similar Recce profile can produce similar results -  Kreiger, Bartlein, Douglas, Shilen, White Oak Armory,  Compass Lake.  The latter two buy blanks from the barrel makers listed first and then profile them.

Put your money into the barrel and trigger.  That's where the accuracy lies.

And, lets not get too hung up on terminology (battle/fighting rifle versus carbine, particularly 16" Recce).   A .223/5.56/Wyle .223 M4 type "rifle" (all carbines are also rifles, just shorter barrels and collapsable stocks) is, indeed, quite capable.  It need not be a large frame .308/ 7.62x54.

Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't take this the wrong way, but there are a lot of conflicting things in your first post.  You'll first need to specify what you consider "long range".  223/5.56 is not typically considered a "long range" cartridge.  In the AR15 platform, you'd need to look at the 224 Valkyrie or the 6.5 Grendel.  Also, "long range gun" and "SHTF gun" are not typically the same configuration.  If your gun is set up for true long range use, it will be very ineffective in a SHTF scenario.  Also, you said you wanted a 16" rifle, but if you want a true "long range" rifle then a 16" barrel is not a great choice at all.  16" barrel would be fine for a SHTF gun, but not for long range shooting.

Also, the gun is only half the equation when you're trying to shoot for accuracy.  The other half of the equation is the ammo that you're shooting.  Don't get all hung up on just one half of the equation.
View Quote

Just no.  No on many levels.  Seems pedantic, smug, preachy.  Forgive me.  Perhaps not intended, but come across that way.  OP's intent seems clear, despite imprecise terminology.  OP clearly wants an accurate 16" small frame AR that can be a good all-around performer.  A 16" Recce fits that nicely.  At least mine does.  Lets not confuse OP with esoteric references to "long range" as may be classically defined.  He's highly unlikely to be thinking 1,000 yards with a LPVO.  A 16" 5.56 is capable to about 600 yards.  Don't you think that is adequate for most SHTF purposes out to 600.  Most shooters would be far beyond their skill level well before 600 yards.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Welcome fellow firearms enthusiast.

Learn some manners.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Learn some manners.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Learn some manners.
View Quote

I'm confused.....  Why would he insult someone who was clearly just trying to be of help?
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just no.  No on many levels.  Seems pedantic, smug, preachy.  Forgive me.  Perhaps not intended, but come across that way.  OP's intent seems clear, despite imprecise terminology.  OP clearly wants an accurate 16" small frame AR that can be a good all-around performer.  A 16" Recce fits that nicely.  At least mine does.  Lets not confuse OP with esoteric references to "long range" as may be classically defined.  He's highly unlikely to be thinking 1,000 yards with a LPVO.  A 16" 5.56 is capable to about 600 yards.  Don't you think that is adequate for most SHTF purposes out to 600.  Most shooters would be far beyond their skill level well before 600 yards.
View Quote

I guess I don’t see what you’re seeing. The OP’s first sentence says he “wants to get into long range shooting”. My main point was asking what he considers to be “long range shooting”. I’m asking him for clarification and you’re ASSUMING to know what he means. If anything “no on many levels”, it’s assuming.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I guess I don’t see what you’re seeing. The OP’s first sentence says he “wants to get into long range shooting”. My main point was asking what he considers to be “long range shooting”. I’m asking him for clarification and you’re ASSUMING to know what he means. If anything “no on many levels”, it’s assuming.
View Quote

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood.  My bad, It seemed he was focusing on two particular 16" Recce-ish ARs and was wanting a SHTF setup that was also MOA capable.  A 5.56/.233 Wylde 16" Recce type can serve well in that role, albeit not a true long range candidate as you and I might consider.  For beyond 600 and especially at or near 1,000 I completely agree with you it would not be a good choice, going transonic by about 700 even with high BC ammo.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood.  My bad, It seemed he was focusing on two particular 16" Recce-ish ARs and was wanting a SHTF setup that was also MOA capable.  A 5.56/.233 Wylde 16" Recce type can serve well in that role, albeit not a true long range candidate as you and I might consider.  For beyond 600 and especially at or near 1,000 I completely agree with you it would not be a good choice, going transonic by about 700 even with high BC ammo.
View Quote

I went back and reread the first post again and maybe I misunderstood the first time.  He says something about getting a few rifles for long range shooting, then he starts talking about an SHTF gun.  At first I thought he wanted a gun for both purposes.  Now I'm not sure.  If he's talking about just an SHTF gun, then why even bring up the long range shooting thing?  If he's not asking about a long range AR, then why even bother to mention it at all?  It's a non-factor.  The first post is a little confusing, so I apologize if I was the one who interpreted it incorrectly.

SHTF gun could be any 16" with an LPVO.  For SHTF, personally I would not be concerned about whether the rifle could shoot 1MOA.  I'd be worried about reliability and durability.  In a true SHTF situation, my goal is to avoid gunfights as much as possible, but if absolutely necessary, I could only imagine engaging a target well under 100 yards.  In which case, I could care less about MOA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#20]
1 MOA is relatively easy with AR's. DD is awesome, but there are some others too. Geissele is gonna be at the top of my list no doubt, there's a reason almost all of SOCOM is now using their URGI which retired the legendary Crane Block II M4. BCM, SOLGW, Triarc, and KAC are just a few of some outstanding companies. A few things remain contacts in what you should be looking for; mid-length gas system, 1/7 twist barrel that's nitrided or chrome lined (also stay away from lightweight profile barrels (can cost you .5 MOA to 1MOA and barrel longevity), and a full-auto rated BCG. Now to explain why. The AR platform loves the mid-length gas system for 5.56; the dwell time just suits it so well and gives us some awesome reliability which is the main priority in a SHTF weapon. The 1/7 twist on the barrel allows you to stabilize those projectiles that are over the 62gr gold standard (for instance Black Hills 77gr) and that nitride or chrome lining in that barrel allows the projectile to slide down the barrel easier; helping it to be more consistent and with guns, consistency is the accuracy allowing you to make those tight groups. Lastly, the BCG having that full-auto rating means its strong enough to withstand some extreme conditions and in theory provides more reliability and longevity.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I went back and reread the first post again and maybe I misunderstood the first time.  He says something about getting a few rifles for long range shooting, then he starts talking about an SHTF gun.  At first I thought he wanted a gun for both purposes.  Now I'm not sure.  If he's talking about just an SHTF gun, then why even bring up the long range shooting thing?  If he's not asking about a long range AR, then why even bother to mention it at all?  It's a non-factor.  The first post is a little confusing, so I apologize if I was the one who interpreted it incorrectly.

SHTF gun could be any 16" with an LPVO.  For SHTF, personally I would not be concerned about whether the rifle could shoot 1MOA.  I'd be worried about reliability and durability.  In a true SHTF situation, my goal is to avoid gunfights as much as possible, but if absolutely necessary, I could only imagine engaging a target well under 100 yards.  In which case, I could care less about MOA.
View Quote

I completely agree. While avoiding conflict I'd be more focused on mobility and survivability than accuracy. If they're over 100 yards they're avoidable in 99% of situations. I'd go with a more versatile 13.7" barrel or 12.5" barrel with an Aimpoint or EO Tech with a magnifier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:42:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1 MOA is relatively easy with AR's. DD is awesome, but there are some others too. Geissele is gonna be at the top of my list no doubt, there's a reason almost all of SOCOM is now using their URGI which retired the legendary Crane Block II M4. BCM, SOLGW, Triarc, and KAC are just a few of some outstanding companies. A few things remain contacts in what you should be looking for; mid-length gas system, 1/7 twist barrel that's nitrided or chrome lined (also stay away from lightweight profile barrels (can cost you .5 MOA to 1MOA and barrel longevity), and a full-auto rated BCG. Now to explain why. The AR platform loves the mid-length gas system for 5.56; the dwell time just suits it so well and gives us some awesome reliability which is the main priority in a SHTF weapon. The 1/7 twist on the barrel allows you to stabilize those projectiles that are over the 62gr gold standard (for instance Black Hills 77gr) and that nitride or chrome lining in that barrel allows the projectile to slide down the barrel easier; helping it to be more consistent and with guns, consistency is the accuracy allowing you to make those tight groups. Lastly, the BCG having that full-auto rating means its strong enough to withstand some extreme conditions and in theory provides more reliability and longevity.
View Quote

Too much to unpack here while drinking but I’ll just start with the fact that URGIs were spec’d with DD barrels...
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

So much ignorance in a single post that I'm not even going to waste the time with a rebuttal of it all.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]
1MOA rifle?
But you plan on using a 1x6 scope?
That's not a long range scope and you will never see 1moa capability past 300 with that scope
You have mismatched expectations.

1moa rifle really needs like 10 power say a 3x15 scope Vortex PST.

1moa gun look at stainless steel barrels not chromed lined or chromoly vanadium
so Barnes Precision Machine.
BPM rifle

1x6 scope then any quality company like DD, BCM etc using quality chrome line or melonited barrel will yield
about 1.5-1.7 moa at 100yds with the right rifle ammo.
lastly the Chromoly vanadium not going to last long 3000-6000 rds, compared to say a melonited will go 10000-15000.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
1MOA rifle?
But you plan on using a 1x6 scope?
That's not a long range scope and you will never see 1moa capability past 300 with that scope
You have mismatched expectations.

1moa rifle really needs like 10 power say a 3x15 scope Vortex PST.

1moa gun look at stainless steel barrels not chromed lined or chromoly vanadium
so Barnes Precision Machine.
BPM rifle

1x6 scope then any quality company like DD, BCM etc using quality chrome line or melonited barrel will yield
about 1.5-1.7 moa at 100yds with the right rifle ammo.
lastly the Chromoly vanadium not going to last long 3000-6000 rds, compared to say a melonited will go 10000-15000.
View Quote

What target shape and sizes? Materials don't matter to precision as much as the craftsmanship. I would expect 0.4 MOA mean radius on the worse end, even turned down to 1x, if the target provides a good reference. Barrel life prediction is on point though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#26]
SHTF ready and MOA accuracy are two different things. Not saying they can’t be done, but there’s compromises for each.
My SHTF is a BCM lightweight 14.5” middy, chrome lined barrel is more than accurate enough but opens up as it gets hot. A great rifle but not a bench shooter.
I have other ARs for that role, once had a RRA 16” HBAR carbine that was super accurate but not something I’d want to carry around all day.

For the best combination of accuracy & reliability, I’d start with Daniel Defence, LMT or LaRue.

Just remember that accuracy is just as much good ammo & shooter skill, a top tier rifle won’t perform any better than a cheap one in the hands of a mediocre shooter. Sometimes a mid tier rifle and a ton of ammo with practice performs better than the best rifle you can afford that’s only shot a few times a year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really don't give a flip. Th point being, I wanted to make sure you didn't miss out on what you wanted. Unless it has changed, marketing and advertising have consistently listed a 16" as carbine length.

SHTF and MOA used congruently is both funny and a bit telling.

Oh yeah, you're welcome.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top