Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2018 8:55:57 PM EDT
Well I think I caught that black rifle bug. My previous build hasn't even been done a week and I'm already thinking about my next build. I just got done with a 20" Grendel build and already have a 18" 223 Wylde. Now that I have my "long and mid range" builds done I'm thinking I need something for shorter range right? I'm looking for something that will get beat around in vehicles and machinery during the fall harvest and more of a "fun" range toy. My first 2 choices would be 223 or grendel just due to the fact that I already have those but curious about the 300 blackout too. It may or may not be suppressed at some point but I want to get a suppressor for my grendel first. Just seeing what you guys have had the best luck with. It will be a rough and dirty rifle so that makes me lean towards the 223 just due to parts available and cheap. Any other views or recommendations on this? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my 11.5" Spikes pistol in 556.  I have a Shockwave Blade and a Primary Arms Micro dot on it.  Very handy
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
PSA...done.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut down carry handle rear sight, clamp on Armalite front. You can run standard carbine handguards that way on carbine gas. I used B5.  Magpul K grip or straighter, this isn't a prone shooting precision rifle.

Brace it if you have no ability.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

AndroCorp 556 10.5" barrel,BCG and Charge Handle, Bushmaster A2 Upper

PSA Lower with ALG ACT    trigger,KAK buffer tube,Shockwave blade

Shortened A2 flashider for a 25 7/8" OAL to comply with Michigans Pistol length for CCWAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you considered 9mm? Either via drop in or dedicated lower?

If you think you might SBR, or if you already have a SBR or FA, go wtih drop in...

PCCs are a blast!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PSA...done.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The way you started the post put me in mind of a meme I saw years ago, "Found another detent, guess I gotta build another"

Personally I would do a 5.56/223 Pistol, for a truck/machinery gun. then again I have both a 5.56 and 300 BLK pistol. both are fun but with having a .223 rifle already it would make sense to me to do that.

Then again 300 BLK suppressed is tons of fun.

*That A2 pistol is sooo sweet looking it makes me want to build an A1 or A2 pistol upper
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The way you started the post put me in mind of a meme I saw years ago, "Found another detent, guess I gotta build another"

Personally I would do a 5.56/223 Pistol, for a truck/machinery gun. then again I have both a 5.56 and 300 BLK pistol. both are fun but with having a .223 rifle already it would make sense to me to do that.

Then again 300 BLK suppressed is tons of fun.

*That A2 pistol is sooo sweet looking it makes me want to build an A1 or A2 pistol upper
View Quote
I'm sure you have another detent floating around.  Sounds like a good enough excuse to me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, for best maneuverability, why not go ultra-compact?

https://youtu.be/cmZSFBy9CZ8
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Just so you know OP you can use the same supressor for the grendel, the wylde and the 300blk if you buy the right size suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I did not know this to be totally honest. That a2 build does look pretty nice! As far as the 9mm I have literally put no thought into it. Anyone else have an opinion on the 9mm?

Quoted:
Just so you know OP you can use the same supressor for the grendel, the wylde and the 300blk if you buy the right size suppressor.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did not know this to be totally honest. That a2 build does look pretty nice! As far as the 9mm I have literally put no thought into it. Anyone else have an opinion on the 9mm?
View Quote
If you are referring to a can for all three of those calibers, then yes any 30 cal so long as the barrels meet any of the min length requirements, hell if you buy the right can you can also run them on a 9mm or 45, the Silencerco Hybrid is one that comes to mind... maybe cause I have one in my safe
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you are referring to a can for all three of those calibers, then yes any 30 cal so long as the barrels meet any of the min length requirements, hell if you buy the right can you can also run them on a 9mm or 45, the Silencerco Hybrid is one that comes to mind... maybe cause I have one in my safe
View Quote
This is good to know! My only concern with the 9mm is I would be using it for coyotes and other varmints we see during the fall so I still want to be able to get some range out of it
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is good to know! My only concern with the 9mm is I would be using it for coyotes and other varmints we see during the fall so I still want to be able to get some range out of it
View Quote
Based on this I would definitely say go with 5.56, at least in my opinion, 300 blackout would work, but supers would be more effective, the good subs that expand well are expensive. Also 556 would be cheaper to blast with and ammo commonality is always good
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
you can always build one in 223 and swap in a 300BO barrel, it's literally the only part that's different. Well, flash hider I guess. but I was in the "300 is stupid and expensive" mindset until I shot one. Even unsupressed it was softer than 223 and more fun to shoot. cost per round doesn't super matter when you're only going to shoot a few rounds a year. 300 also does better in the ultra-short areas. 8" with pistol gas is pretty reliable, and people are going down to 6 with some special parts. 223 once you get below like 11" or so it's a plugs and muffs combined kind of concussion.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
you can always build one in 223 and swap in a 300BO barrel, it's literally the only part that's different. Well, flash hider I guess. but I was in the "300 is stupid and expensive" mindset until I shot one. Even unsupressed it was softer than 223 and more fun to shoot. cost per round doesn't super matter when you're only going to shoot a few rounds a year. 300 also does better in the ultra-short areas. 8" with pistol gas is pretty reliable, and people are going down to 6 with some special parts. 223 once you get below like 11" or so it's a plugs and muffs combined kind of concussion.
View Quote
Second this 300 Is tons of fun with or without the can, I kinda view it with supers as a more ergonomic and really more pleasant option to the AK. Honestly it is how I keep talking myself out of getting an AK
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
9mm would be cool, since a 10 " barrel will give you enough velocity
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top