Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2021 10:35:11 AM EDT
So I got some new parts for an old Troy P7A1 I bought years and years ago. I've never removed the buffer tube. And when I went to, we'll to my surprise I did not see a typical castle nut. Unless I am incredibly mistaken, I'm kinda lost. See links below  (I'm at work, I can post mine when I get home)

One, shows the P7 with a typical castle nut - the first link.

The other, shows the condition mine has - the second link.  Is this end plate serving as the castle nut?

What am I missing?

Typical Castle nut

No visible castle nut
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I assume it is like an A2 buffer tube. The tube itself has a flange itself.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
So I should just be able to unscrew the tube from the lower then correct? I tried that, it must be on firm. The gas block was red Loctited on, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar situation. Ill give it a go again though, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It may have loctite, hit it with a heat gun/hair dryer/small torch at the thread point. A strap wrench will work or clamp the tube in a vice with a barrel clamp.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is red Locktite, the bond won't break until you reach 500F. You will see a puff of smoke when it breaks down. Hopefully it's just on there tight without threadlocker, overheating anodized aluminum can discolor it or worse.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top