Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2021 5:26:05 AM EDT
Found a "Midwest Industries- Same Plane Flip Up" and comparing it to the "Troy Battle Sight",

Why the hell does TROY sight have the "windage hash marks" facing away from the shooter also???

So it's that AND the the small Aperture having the cupped area backwards??? WTF

These pics make me think they originally made a backward design and kept it to avoid product returns later on, unless it's different now since this 2010 thread the pics were in.

Have also heard the Troy Apertures have wobble on the pins and get very loose over time, so hoping the "Midwest Industries- SPLP" may be a better option, as it actually costs more than Troy rears to this day.

(Left= Midwest)
(Right= Troy

Any downsides to the cupped, yet "Curved Apertures" on Same Plane sights as far as sight picture distortion?

(Such as light distorting the cupped area due to the concave area not being a perfect circle around the holes plus the steel bending at an angle at the top or bottom, depending which Aperture?)

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
pretty sure those are copy/fake troys or maybe an earlier version, i have 5-6 pairs and a few i bought from troy site and came with troy uppers and the have hashs on the back side/shooter side, also all troys have logo, serial number,name, and lot number etched on the underside. troys also have stainless steel locking pins which it looks like this one has blued/black locking pins on the side of the rear sight, and have flush flat tight machined flat head screws and this one has a exposed domed style flat head. so more than likely those are copy/fake troys
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#2]
fake
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Troy's have the cups facing away from the eye.

There are plenty of thread debates out there about cup direction.

I like it better with the flat side toward me. The concave has caused distorted light reflection when on the eye side.

I think it is odd the the standard usgi sight peep has it one way for the large and other for the small.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m going to agree with the above comments indicating that may not be a legit Troy sight. Both of my Troy rear BUIS have the windage marks on the rear (facing the shooter) side and they are machined, not laser engraved.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Bad news brother, you're bent out of shape over Amazon Chinese knock offs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The Troy set in OPs pic is a copy of the older set with the "preferred" picatinny clamp. Those had laser engraved marks. My set is has them on the shooters side though.

The roll pin, casting dot on the sight tower and no markings on the bottom lead me to a "good" China copy.  Also the thread pitch on the windage screw looks too coarse.

Real older model Troy

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Troy set in OPs pic is a copy of the older set with the "preferred" picatinny clamp. Those had laser engraved marks. My set is has them on the shooters side though.

The roll pin, casting dot on the sight tower and no markings on the bottom lead me to a "good" China copy.  Also the thread pitch on the windage screw looks too coarse.

Real older model Troy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108486/7EA5E549-C531-41FE-8936-04039A8AC204_jpe-1850916.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108486/DE74DAEB-FEB7-415C-9F64-A12C4C9BA5EC_jpe-1850917.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108486/C2651513-B09E-4849-8495-79F0704F18B7_jpe-1850918.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108486/5BC3F0A9-725C-4BFA-B323-5D082BD8BAD0_jpe-1850919.JPG
View Quote

Idk what is considered “older” or when the change was made, but my black sight is ~10 years old. The FDE one is only a couple years old.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Idk what is considered “older” or when the change was made, but my black sight is ~10 years old. The FDE one is only a couple years old.
View Quote

**OP Here**

Yes, that pic was from a thread in 09' to all that it confused.

So now with me, it's between Troy and Magpul Pro. A Midwest rep even recommended the PRO as he said the pair shaped cups and the 45 degree ledge will beam sunlight into your eye on the small app.

I want to go with Magpul badly being a cup helps my eye transition the to circular hole, I viewed my DD 1.5 from the flat side and the hole blurred into an oblong shape due to not having the cup, so I guess the cup helps with the transition of creating a circle within a circle (and then once looking through, the outer edges are blurry but the very center has a crystal clear Halo, making a clear target and letting me know it's dead centered.

Only thing now pushing me toward Troy is that I've read several threads on the finish that the Magpul Pro's steel is treated with is causing guys with astigmatisms (and others) to see a blurry window affect inside of the hole (with A2 style, it's blurry on the corners but has a crystal clear spot in the center like stated above)

Not sure if I just try the Magpul, or just hope that maybe Troy has less of a glare than the greyish steel that Daniel Defense uses that has bare steel on the edges and if on the inner edges, one reason the old polymer Magpul version is crystal clear.

When flipping the DD 1.5 backwards to view the flat side to try to imitate what a Troy may look like, without the "cupped" transition, it was like trying to peer through a tiny hole (plus the sides blurring and changing it's shape) and the sight picture looked much smaller than looking through the cupped side (likely may eyes, but still, the old system works fine)

Hoping Troy uses a matte black on the steel, and doesn't lube them (which leaves residual glare) and also hope its not that phosphate (looking) coated steel with bare steel showing on many edges.

I've realized the greyish A2 style finish (or bare metal edged) glare makes a huge difference in clarity VS distortion! (One reason the small Aperture on the "Polymer" Magpul site is crystal clear, even around the edges.

Anyone here ever tried both the PRO and Troy? (Especially if you have vision issues or a stig)

If so, did the Troy have better visibility in the small Aperture?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have an astigmatism, why not correct that with some glasses instead pursuing an iron sight that may be a bandaid to that problem?

Typing this from a set of glasses I only bothered to get because an astigmatism made red dot usage suck (until I got the glasses).

As an added benefit, driving at nighttime won’t make every oncoming headlight, street light, traffic light, led tail light etc. look like a giant glaring starburst any more.

EDIT: It could be marketing fluff, but this article states that the MBUS Pro has a thicker sight tower than most back up sights to dilate your pupil and suppress parallax:

Link

Maybe this effect bothers some, a dilated pupil will be more light sensitive, so maybe that’s where the “glare” comments come in. But it seems to be in place to help with accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Troy above, MBUS Pros and astigmatism.

The MBUS Pros work great for a Backup sight

The Troys with the HK front are a better sight picture and are better for a "All the time" sight. Although using flip ups for you primary is not the way to go.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top