Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2021 6:51:37 PM EDT
I bought a 1:12 twist 20” barrel (Brownells I think) a while back and recently had some trouble tightening the barrel nut and aligning the gas tube. Using a traditional nut so I can use triangle handguards.
I am up to 80 ft pounds and not close to an alignment. The BCG hits the gas tube.
Backing off the nut doesn’t work. Just testing it, the gas tube skews, and it locked up the BCG and locked up the rifle.
Is there some fix I can try or a thread to go to? Do I use a barrel shim of some kind? Loctite? A different upper receiver? a different gas tube? Bend the gas tube? I’ve built other rifles and had no problems.
I’m going to FF it if I can’t get this to work.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]

If you got it close enough to install the gas tube, then you should be able to put a little more nut on it and get it where you need. If not, try another barrel nut or use a shim. No need for loctite or bending the tube. Yes, you could try another upper.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you got it close enough to install the gas tube, then you should be able to put a little more nut on it and get it where you need. If not, try another barrel nut or use a shim. No need for loctite or bending the tube. Yes, you could try another upper.
View Quote

All this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If you applied grease to the right places you shouldn't have much of a problem achieving alignment of the barrel nut.

The threads of the upper receiver should be liberally greased as well as the forward/FSB facing side of the barrel extension flange.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just dremel off the offending tooth if it is still in the way when you reach the proper torque spec
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a 50# torque window so you should be able to hit a hole, and if you have to go past 80# by a smidge, sobeit.  Is the gas block properly aligned?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just dremel off the offending tooth if it is still in the way when you reach the proper torque spec
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/hPPx8yk3Bmqys/giphy.gif

Correct! The handguards index off of the barrel nut as well (just like the gas tube) and it has to be properly aligned for that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ll try it again past 80lbs. I just didn’t want to do something dumb like shear the pin. I’ve read about people doing just that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#9]

BTDT.....my solution was _very carefully_ facing the receiver about .002" with some 600 grit sand paper.  I'm completely guessing, but you get the point....just enough to get me to about 50 lbs.

Saw a decent increase in accuracy.  I think the extreme amount of torque can tweak the barrel, but I'm no expert so who knows. It works.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the link. Why Brownells/Midway doesn't list barrel shims was a little weird to me
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’ll try it again past 80lbs. I just didn’t want to do something dumb like shear the pin. I’ve read about people doing just that.
View Quote

If you stabilize the receiver with a receiver vise clamp block or similar you won's shear the index pin.  Personally, I avoid the barrel extension stabilizing tools when working on the receiver which you are doing as you tighten the barrel nut.  Work it back and forth until you can get it to index correctly and use assembly grease or anti seize.  Lots of people like aeroshell 33ms. Be patient and DO NOT start bending sh8t to get it to line up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link. Why Brownells/Midway doesn't list barrel shims was a little weird to me
View Quote

BROWNELLS
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#14]
…ok, that’s weird….ordering shims. I do use aero shell, have the vise block. I guess I’ll try it next weekend then. Thank you for everything!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Same type issue, same Brownells barrel. It came with a barrel nut and front sight base on it.
Typically I will change barrel nuts until I get one to line up between 30 and 80 foot pounds. But I didn’t want to pull the front sight base off. this is what I have at 30 pounds. It will not go to next slot at 80  
Not perfect alignment, but the gas tube will go through, it does not seem to be binding on the bolt carrier. But the bolt carrier does have a lot of play in the receiver.
Will it fly?
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Never ran into that issue.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it doesn't line up the first time, take it apart and do it all over.

The threads start to stretch at around 50 ft-lbs, so eventually, you'll get there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, are you torquing the nut 3 times? Or just tightening one and done?

How about grease?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If it doesn't line up the first time, take it apart and do it all over.

The threads start to stretch at around 50 ft-lbs, so eventually, you'll get there.
View Quote

Yep, I just went through this on Sunday.  Kept stroking until it lined up.  Even went a hair too far and had to back off and come again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I really am starting to wonder why I don't run into this issue anymore even though I used to run into it on pretty much every barrel install... I wonder if it's my method that's somehow impervious to this? Is it my tools? Perhaps my lube of choice? Maybe a combination of all three? I have no idea?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I really am starting to wonder why I don't run into this issue anymore even though I used to run into it on pretty much every barrel install... I wonder if it's my method that's somehow impervious to this? Is it my tools? Perhaps my lube of choice? Maybe a combination of all three? I have no idea?
View Quote

I suspect tolerances/manufacturers has a lot to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's that type of nut, then +1.

TQ the nut to spec, ID the offending tooth, knock it out. back off nut, re-TQ it.

If it's a pass-through hole style nut, TQ it to spec, then go just enough more to get into the next hole.

Not sure there's any other way. Getting to 80lb-ft TQ seems like a few holes were passed along the way past 40lb-ft TQ.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Correct! The handguards index off of the barrel nut as well (just like the gas tube) and it has to be properly aligned for that.
View Quote

Ah, well that's a crunky wrench.

Don't use HG's that need alignment to index the HG.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone actually know the max TQ the 7075 or 6061 upper barrel threading can take?

Isn't 80lb-ft the max # for that threading in 7075 T6?

Going past max and you get into the yield region, and to far there and you weaken the fitment.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is possible, and maybe I've just been having a good run of luck, but I really suspect that it might be due to the barrel wrench I've been using (9 pin from 2Unique), the particular type of Moly lube I'm using (67% to 70% moly content) and where specifically I'm applying it (upper threads only + front facing side of barrel extension flange).
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Honestly, the best thing to do is just to go back and forth over and over and then hope you can get it to 80 or so.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Just order the shims!

Order three packs, then you'll have plenty for the next couple of barrels.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top