Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2021 3:53:08 PM EDT
Was thinking about using one of the Tromix Linear Compensators on my build I'm working on now.

Still putting everything together / acquiring parts, but it looks like I'm going to go with an 11" 45ACP upper.

Was originally looking for a blast can type muzzle device, but the only one that would work that I've found is the KAK aluminum one.

Just curious if anybody has run this specific compensator and what your opinion is.

Thanks!

Tromix Linear Comp
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure of the functionality of the design, seems needlessly complex/expensive/heavy.
I have several of the Kaw Valley linear comps in rifle calibers and am happy with them.

Here is one example for .45
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-for-40S-W-45ACP-10MM-Carbines-p/kvp-linear-58x24-pcc-blk.htm
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at their products too. Little more streamlined than the Tromix for sure.

The disassembly aspect is pretty cool on the Tromix.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was looking at their products too. Little more streamlined than the Tromix for sure.

The disassembly aspect is pretty cool on the Tromix.
View Quote

But why? It's not a suppressor and it weighs half a pound?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one.  It's nice but it does not reduce recoil by anything significant, if at all.  Any reduction comes from the added weight because it is a heavy device since it is made of steel.  It also is a two piece device so it needs to be taken apart and cleaned once in a while, and after every use if you are shooting cast.  It operates as a flash can or blast diverter more than it does a compensator and it does a good job of directing the blast down range, especially on short barreled .458 SOCOMs for which it was designed.

Midwest Industries make a flash can that works very well.  Their .30 caliber can has a hole in it big enough to clear a .475 bullet with room to spare so a .451 to .458 bullet has tons of room to pass.  I use a few of these on other short barreled .458 SOCOMS.  No recoil reduction of course but they do an excellent job of blast diversion.  They are one piece, aluminum, need no cleaning other than a wipe down, and with hundreds of rounds through them I have seen no gas cutting what so ever. They are also very light and dirt cheap.  I like the MI very much and I feel quite certain the KAK aluminum units would be just as good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a KAW valley on a shortened 450 BM and was very impressed with the reduction in blast.  I use a KAK style on my 350 legend pistols and they work great. The Tromix is neat but at twice the weight and price I’m not sure what if any benefits it would have. What you need to determine is how much length and weight you want to add. Any of the devices mentioned so far would tame a 45 ACP quite well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting design.  I wish the linked webpage had more info about the design.
View Quote

Here is the full review:link

I did have pictures but they were lost when I dumped Photobucket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Everything Tromix I’ve ever handled oozes quality
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#10]
looks heavy 2 me
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#11]
It is heavy. Solid steel versus aluminum.  That weight is the only recoil reducing function of the LC.  But if you want good looks, precise machining, blast diversion, and a little weight to reduce recoil, this is the brake.  With it only having two parts, it is easy to take apart and clean if you stay on a regular cleaning cycle and there is no spring to lose like the Noveske KX3 and KX5.

If you only want blast diversion and don't care about recoil reduction, the MI Flash Cans are my go to for that purpose.  They are only one piece, easy to clean and nothing to take apart, and they don't erode like you might think aluminum would, and weigh next to nothing.  Also, like the TROMIX, they do not need any modification to use on the .458 SOCOM since on the .30 cal flash can (5/8 x 24) the hole is more than big enough to pass a .458 bullet.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top