Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2018 4:46:01 AM EDT
Has anybody had a chance to get there hands on both of these optics,  and can opin on how they compare.

I have a trijicon and am considering a NF
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I own a Trijicon 1-8x and I have had looked at the nightforce nx8 but have not actually had the chance to actually shoot with one mounted.  The nightforce is noticeably lighter and brighter, but the brightness of the red Trijicon has never really been an issue... it is still "daylight bright".  The main thing that bothers me about the NF is the size of the center dot... the 1.25moa dot is a little too thick for me.  The .75moa crosshair that the trijicon uses isn't exactly precision friendly, but that is just the price you pay if you want a usable 1x reticle.  Glass is comparable.  You have the choice of capped turrets with the ATACR and exposed with the NX8, but I personally like the locking turrets that the Trijicon uses.  I have no doubt that the NF is a great scope and there are some advantages (weight and brightness), but I would have trouble spending the extra 1k.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the general consensus is that both are great optics, but the NF is pretty definitively the better of the two. Whether it’s worth it relative to the cost is something only the end user can decide. I like my Trijicon, and it’s not to me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the reticle of the Trijicon. It is more bold on 1x and on 8x it is a more usable reticle. The center dot for the NF is large and i’m Not crazy about it on 1x. I prefer the Eotech-esque reticle of Trijicon. The NF is like a Leupold mk6 on 1x and I can’t stand that. I feel the Trijicon and NF have the same quality glass. I also like the 1/4 or .1 adjustments of the Trijicon. The Trijicon is not as light or short as the NF but it is much cheaper. I love my 1-8 Trijicon and if I had to get another 1-8 it would be the nightforce but it comes down to the reticle for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I think PA platinum would also have to be in the mix, OP?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I own the Trijicon and while Ive looked at the NF, I have not shot behind it.

I bought the green and have not had an issue shooting in the Georgia sun.

Ill echo the comments on the size of the dot in the NF and from what I have read, it appears the glass is coming out of the same factory in Japan.  I realize the glass can be coated differently but I didn't notice any significant difference looking into the shadows and picking up shapes in lower light conditions.

To me, there is not any benefit justifying the increase in price.  I'm glad I bought the Trijicon mainly for the reticle and locking turrents.

I also agree the PA Platinum is probably a better competitor for the Trijicon than the NF.  PA is also sourcing their glass out of the same factory in Japan.  Both have locking turrets and to be honest, I believe I would like the Primary Arms reticle better.

Trijicons warranty and CS is solid though so I went with Trijicon.

No regrets
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#6]
The NF is half a pound lighter. That's a huge weight advantage.

Glass in both is good. Slight edge to NF, IMO.

I like the reticle in the Trijicon a lot more than NF. The illumination isn't quite as bright but I can live with it. I'm sure you can get used to the NF reticle and be proficient with it.

The eye box on the Trijicon also seems better, but again, that may just be a training thing that you can alleviate.

Personally, I don't like either one enough to own over the high end 1-6 options. Razor Gen II-E, Kahles K16i and Leupold VX-6HD are all options I'd prefer. Depends on your use, but 6x has always been more than good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think PA platinum would also have to be in the mix, OP?
View Quote
27oz vs 17oz would really have me leaning towards the NF.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

27oz vs 17oz would really have me leaning towards the NF.
View Quote
Edit: Nvm... wrong scope
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

25oz
View Quote
26.9 does not round down to 25

Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

26.9 does not round down to 25

https://i.imgur.com/apE1hVM.png
View Quote
Meh... 26.9, 25, 30... all pretty close

Thought you were talking about the trijicon 1-8x.... didn't read.  My fault
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Meh... 26.9, 25, 30... all pretty close

Thought you were talking about the trijicon 1-8x.... didn't read.  My fault
View Quote
No worries

The PA seems like a nice scope and reticle combo it just comes in a lot heavier than the NF. The Trijicons seem like a good option, but I think I would still rather have the NF for top quality glass, FFP, and only 17oz.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No worries

The PA seems like a nice scope and reticle combo it just comes in a lot heavier than the NF. The Trijicons seem like a good option, but I think I would still rather have the NF for top quality glass, FFP, and only 17oz.
View Quote
Isn’t the NF 30mm and the PA 34mm?

If so, the NF would have a smaller eye box and exit pupil because of the narrower tube.

Plus, given that the glass between the two are equal, the reticle is the next most important aspect when choosing a scope...
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn’t the NF 30mm and the PA 34mm?

If so, the NF would have a smaller eye box and exit pupil because of the narrower tube.

Plus, given that the glass between the two are equal, the reticle is the next most important aspect when choosing a scope...
View Quote
That's correct it would be smaller, how much so I can not say as I do not own either and have not seen a PA in person. However the Nightforce did not seem to be limiting when I looked through it in person.

Personally, the NF reticle seems fine to me. I will admit that the PA reticle does offer more features that seem to be real world useful, but I do value 10oz of weight on the top of my gun quite a bit more than a lot of things.

It really comes down to what matters most in scope, as each one is still a compromise.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has anybody had a chance to get there hands on both of these optics,  and can opin on how they compare.

View Quote
I have not handled an NX8, but I hear a lot of grumblings.

1) there sure are s ton on the EE...yet only 1 atacr, last I looked...
2) lots of people I know bought an nx8 only to dump it for the atacr

The main complaints are optical quality (distortion, and other issues) and eyebox.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The main complaints are optical quality (distortion, and other issues) and eyebox.
View Quote
I agree with your observations, there is enough going on complaint wise to make me apprehensive of buying at this point. Some of it seems to be people speculating about the reticle and FFP downfalls on a LPV, but you’re right about a lot of them being up for sale with very little use.

I’d really like to get some trigger time behind both the PA and NX8 before forming a more solid opinion about either scope. But at this point the NX8 still looks best on paper and in my limited in person look over.

Though I have been impressed with NF in the past I believe every company can make a turd every now and then.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree with your observations, there is enough going on complaint wise to make me apprehensive of buying at this point. Some of it seems to be people speculating about the reticle and FFP downfalls on a LPV, but you’re right about a lot of them being up for sale with very little use.

I’d really like to get some trigger time behind both the PA and NX8 before forming a more solid opinion about either scope. But at this point the NX8 still looks best on paper and in my limited in person look over.

Though I have been impressed with NF in the past I believe every company can make a turd every now and then.
View Quote
The NX8 fills a niche, just like the 2.5-10x24. I just think a LOT of people would be MUCH happier looking at the ATACR.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the insight guys

I think the NF sounds like a better scope in most areas, outside of eye box until you get to the Atacr, and that is another 1500ish and at that point weights are pretty close but i am not enough for me to pick one up at this point.

While i am a fan of high end optics for long range stuff,  but for low range variables, the point of diminishing returns are much lower.  If the comments were across the board incredible, I would check one out
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight guys

I think the NF sounds like a better scope in most areas, outside of eye box until you get to the Atacr, and that is another 1500ish and at that point weights are pretty close but i am not enough for me to pick one up at this point.

While i am a fan of high end optics for long range stuff,  but for low range variables, the point of diminishing returns are much lower.  If the comments were across the board incredible, I would check one out
View Quote
The comments across the board about the ATACR ARE pretty solid.
Between the NX8 and Trijicon 1-8, I'd get the Vortex mil/mil. Lighter, great glass, good optic all around really. Throw the ATACR into the mix, and that's the path.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The comments across the board about the ATACR ARE pretty solid.
Between the NX8 and Trijicon 1-8, I'd get the Vortex mil/mil. Lighter, great glass, good optic all around really. Throw the ATACR into the mix, and that's the path.
View Quote
The vortex is a great scope.  And if you ask me, mil/mil is always the way to go, but for $2700 NF can suck my ass when the Trijicon can do the same thing for 1.5k less.  The glass is the same, I like the Trijicon reticle better, the locking turrets are better for me than the capped, I feel like it’s not a hard decision.  Buy the Trijicon and then an extra SR15 with the savings.  I know it is fun to say “Nightforccccce” and I have owned several of their scopes and will end up owning more but I reserve that splurging for the long range game, not .223 semis.  Vortex or Trijicon would be my two considerations.  USO makes a 1-6 that I would like to check out too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a NX8 on a 14.5" KAC SR15, I like the scope.

Only complaint is I wish the center dot was a little smaller (but it is not a precision gun)

And the eye box is a little tight at 6-8x (but I'm probably taking a slower and longer shot at that zoom)

I got one off the EE for $1500 like new, so I call it a win.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I’ll just keep my USO SR-8C 1-8 thanks...

I’ve seen all the newer 1-8s out there and I still think the USO is superior.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I owned a Trij 1-8 and sold it to roll the money into a NX8.

Glass quality was roughly similar, you should get more light gathering with the Trij due to the larger exit pupil but I didnt notice it with the Trij.

The turrets on the Trij lock yes, but they are very mushy when actually being used, the NX8 has the standard crisp, responsive NF turrets. Combined with a solid zero stop I prefer the unlocked, but crisp turrets offered by the NF, additionally the NX8 also features a capped windage turret, which is perfect and should be standard on LPVO's and smaller mag scopes.

The illumn on the Trij is good enough, the turret design at 1x helps a lot to quickly draw the eye, I found that it was generally good enough unless you were looking towards a highly illumined area, say generally towards the sun on a bright part of the day. The illumn on the NX8 is better, the reticle, when at 1x and illuminated is a simple red dot, ala Aimpoint.

Reticle design, it seems to me that Trijicon tried to take a simple precision reticle and scale it around a LPVO. At 8x the reticle is too coarse to be super useful and hinders good sight picture by being too broad, both at the center and while holding elevation.
NF designed a reticle that would work around an LPVO. The center dot is every bit as course as the Trij but when holding elevation or wind the reticle shines. The ATACR features a better reticle in that the center is clear, ala a MIL-C or TMR reticle.

Size and weight, the NX8 rocks, blows the Trij out of the water and seems to be right at home on a 5.56 gun, were as the Trij was larger and heavy and did not do any favors to the balance of 5.56 guns.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll just keep my USO SR-8C 1-8 thanks...

I've seen all the newer 1-8s out there and I still think the USO is superior.
View Quote
The USO SR-8C is still a contender. But limited with that 30mm tube and weight. I also found that the eye box was pretty unforgiving. A solid optic for  a DMR/RECCE/SPR though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The vortex is a great scope.  And if you ask me, mil/mil is always the way to go, but for $2700 NF can suck my ass when the Trijicon can do the same thing for 1.5k less.  The glass is the same, I like the Trijicon reticle better, the locking turrets are better for me than the capped, I feel like it’s not a hard decision.  Buy the Trijicon and then an extra SR15 with the savings.  I know it is fun to say “Nightforccccce” and I have owned several of their scopes and will end up owning more but I reserve that splurging for the long range game, not .223 semis.  Vortex or Trijicon would be my two considerations.  USO makes a 1-6 that I would like to check out too.
View Quote
The Trijicon might as well be from another planet. The only thing it has in common is that it's also 1-8.

-Nightforce is BRIGHTLY illuminated.
-Nightforce has wind holds.
-Nightforce is 1/4 pound lighter.

Then we get into the debatable stuff like the fact that I disagree with you on glass quality, turrets, etc. which is about "perception".

I wouldn't touch a USO with a 10 foot pole until they shake their reputation and can prove they can make stuff that doesn't shit the bed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Trijicon might as well be from another planet. The only thing it has in common is that it's also 1-8.

-Nightforce is BRIGHTLY illuminated.
-Nightforce has wind holds.
-Nightforce is 1/4 pound lighter.

Then we get into the debatable stuff like the fact that I disagree with you on glass quality, turrets, etc. which is about "perception".

I wouldn't touch a USO with a 10 foot pole until they shake their reputation and can prove they can make stuff that doesn't shit the bed.
View Quote
Try, not buy haha

And what exactly do you like about the capped turrets?  Also elaborate on the gas quality.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Try, not buy haha

And what exactly do you like about the capped turrets?  Also elaborate on the gas quality.
View Quote
The Nightforce allows you to run capped or uncapped. Even has thread protectors for the turret cluster should you decide to run uncapped. Trijicon only lets you have it one way. I personally found the Trijicon 1-8 glass to be rather lackluster, YMMV, and many an argument can be had about glass quality. I suspect both are sufficient for the task, to be honest.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Nightforce allows you to run capped or uncapped. Even has thread protectors for the turret cluster should you decide to run uncapped. Trijicon only lets you have it one way. I personally found the Trijicon 1-8 glass to be rather lackluster, YMMV, and many an argument can be had about glass quality. I suspect both are sufficient for the task, to be honest.
View Quote
Agreed... both are really good scopes and do their job pretty well... it just kinda comes down to your personal prefs and your wallet.  The trijicon turrets are basically a combo of capped and exposed.  They lock in the down position and they unlock in the up.  Maybe it is my eyes that can't tell the difference in the glass.  Love NF, just think the accupower does a pretty comparable job for a lot less $$.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Agreed... both are really good scopes and do their job pretty well... it just kinda comes down to your personal prefs and your wallet.  The trijicon turrets are basically a combo of capped and exposed.  They lock in the down position and they unlock in the up.  Maybe it is my eyes that can't tell the difference in the glass.  Love NF, just think the accupower does a pretty comparable job for a lot less $$.
View Quote
For me the big dealkiller is the illumination. Trijicon just isnt there. I'd go vortex over it. Atacr over that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been debating about this for a while, this thread definitely didn't clear much up

Gonna have to find a place with both and just handle them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I owned a Trij 1-8 and sold it to roll the money into a NX8.

Glass quality was roughly similar, you should get more light gathering with the Trij due to the larger exit pupil but I didnt notice it with the Trij.

The turrets on the Trij lock yes, but they are very mushy when actually being used, the NX8 has the standard crisp, responsive NF turrets. Combined with a solid zero stop I prefer the unlocked, but crisp turrets offered by the NF, additionally the NX8 also features a capped windage turret, which is perfect and should be standard on LPVO's and smaller mag scopes.

The illumn on the Trij is good enough, the turret design at 1x helps a lot to quickly draw the eye, I found that it was generally good enough unless you were looking towards a highly illumined area, say generally towards the sun on a bright part of the day. The illumn on the NX8 is better, the reticle, when at 1x and illuminated is a simple red dot, ala Aimpoint.

Reticle design, it seems to me that Trijicon tried to take a simple precision reticle and scale it around a LPVO. At 8x the reticle is too coarse to be super useful and hinders good sight picture by being too broad, both at the center and while holding elevation.
NF designed a reticle that would work around an LPVO. The center dot is every bit as course as the Trij but when holding elevation or wind the reticle shines. The ATACR features a better reticle in that the center is clear, ala a MIL-C or TMR reticle.

Size and weight, the NX8 rocks, blows the Trij out of the water and seems to be right at home on a 5.56 gun, were as the Trij was larger and heavy and did not do any favors to the balance of 5.56 guns.
View Quote
I'm only here to read this guy's posts.

Because every fucking time he tells me to buy something, he sells it and buys something better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm only here to read this guy's posts.

Because every fucking time he tells me to buy something, he sells it and buys something better.
View Quote
I mean, you could have been the guy I sold the Trij to... who was standing next to me when I paid for the NX8...

The trij is solid, really it is. But the NX8 is more refined
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#32]
They are both better than excellent optics, the NF seems much lighter & a bit brighter to me (I didn't check the weight specs, but it is lighter), is the weight savings & a bit of brightness worth the extra $$ ? that's up to the user.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They are both better than excellent optics, the NF seems much lighter & a bit brighter to me (I didn't check the weight specs, but it is lighter), is the weight savings & a bit of brightness worth the extra $$ ? that's up to the user.
View Quote
A bit brighter? I guess a Ferrari LaFerrari is "a bit" faster than a Toyota Corolla, too, in your book, lol!
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I have owned the NF 1-4 and Trijicon 1-4. On the two I had, glass was a toss up. I liked the adjustment knobs on the NF a little better, but for 3-gun I liked the triangle reticle better on the Trijicon. I sold the NF.
But NF have a new reticle with better illumination now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The vortex is a great scope.  And if you ask me, mil/mil is always the way to go, .
View Quote
Why is mil/mil always the way to go?  The Trijicon is available in MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL.  I'm curious why MIL is so popular.  I read something that effectively said, "if you're used to saying things in inches and yards, buy MOA, if you're used to centimeters and meters, buy MIL."
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why is mil/mil always the way to go?  The Trijicon is available in MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL.  I'm curious why MIL is so popular.  I read something that effectively said, "if you're used to saying things in inches and yards, buy MOA, if you're used to centimeters and meters, buy MIL."
View Quote
Both are angular measurements. In no way does one or the other equate to m/yd.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Both are angular measurements. In no way does one or the other equate to m/yd.
View Quote
Right.  But 1 moa = 1 inch at 100 yards and .1 mil = 1 centimeter at 100 meters.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Right.  But 1 moa = 1 inch at 100 yards and .1 mil = 1 centimeter at 100 meters.
View Quote
1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 yards.

It's not a measure of inches.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I understand that.  But it's easy to understand if at 100 yards say if my spotter says, "you're 2 inches low" I know I can just adjust 2 MOA and hit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I understand that.  But it's easy to understand if at 100 yards say if my spotter says, "you're 2 inches low" I know I can just adjust 2 MOA and hit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spotters shouldn't be calling in inches, they should be calling in whatever unit of measurement your optic is.

Either way, you should know that 1 mil is 3.6" at 100yds, so .5 mils will be 1.8".
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I owned one and sold it for the aforementioned reasons with glass quality being the number one.  I’m going back to a K16i.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#42]
What battery/illumination setting do you guys need to be on?  My Trijicon Accupower 1-8 just arrived.  Pitch dark bathroom I only start to see illumination on level 3 of 11.  1 and 2 are invisible to me.  Then it gets pretty bright.  That normal?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What battery/illumination setting do you guys need to be on?  My Trijicon Accupower 1-8 just arrived.  Pitch dark bathroom I only start to see illumination on level 3 of 11.  1 and 2 are invisible to me.  Then it gets pretty bright.  That normal?
View Quote
Night vision settings
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I need a 1-8 real bad now and have it narrowed down to these two also....I just keep reading negative reviews on the NF and the dot size....

I have a NF 4-16 ATACR and the glass is outstanding.  Looking through the 1-8 NF and the glass is really good.

I also own a 1-4 Accupower and really like it.  I just cant get past the feeling of the 1-8 Accupower turrents.  The one that I handled, they felt very cheap and mushy.

I do like the idea of the 34mm tube on the AP and other than the knobs, appears to be well made.

Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its just a personal pref honestly.  When shooting I think in mils bc that is how I learned it.  I also like that it is kind of a base 10 type system.  If it much faster to read 7.2mils and dial 2 clicks and hold at 7 than to see 24.7moa and then say .7 is almost .75 which is approximately 3/4moa and dial 3 clicks and hold at the 24.  At longer ranges I feel better using my reticle to make adjustments than trying to judge a miss in inches.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I need a 1-8 real bad now and have it narrowed down to these two also....I just keep reading negative reviews on the NF and the dot size....

I have a NF 4-16 ATACR and the glass is outstanding.  Looking through the 1-8 NF and the glass is really good.

I also own a 1-4 Accupower and really like it.  I just cant get past the feeling of the 1-8 Accupower turrents.  The one that I handled, they felt very cheap and mushy.

I do like the idea of the 34mm tube on the AP and other than the knobs, appears to be well made.

View Quote
Turrets seem fine on mine, that just got delivered.  Haven't shot with it yet though.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top