Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2020 8:02:13 PM EDT
I just picked up a used Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x. I can't mount it yet as my mount wont be here till monday.

I've been looking through it all day. When it first arrived I was disappointed as people have touted it as a "true 1x" and with both eyes open I was getting a double image. And yes I have the diopter set appropriately. As my eye saw it on 1x the image coming through the scope was not lined up with the image in my non scope eye. Vertical lines matched up well but horizontal lines were offset higher. So for example if you are panning left to right looking at an IPSC target as the scope moves over the target the target appears through the scope higher than in the image in the non scope eye.

Now if I adjust the elevation knob almost all the way down in its travel range the image then lines up perfect. Panning left to right the image is at the same height and horizontal lines line up properly now. No double image. One seemless image with both eyes open. Looks amazing and I would call it a "true 1x" set like this. It's literally in the bottom 6-8 moa of travel in the elevation knob before it lines up.

So my question is. Do people with this scope and it mounted on an AR end up seeing it zeroed near the bottom of its elevation travel or is it more near the midpoint of the elevation knob's travel? Is this a defect or issue with the used optic I bought or something everyone with this scope has noticed?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like an issue with your eyes. The elevation knob is supposed to get POA equal to POA.

Have you tried looking through the optic at an object focusing on the object rather than the reticle? As far as the 1X goes...that is generally meaning there is as close to no magnification as possible at the lowest setting.

Unless I am completely misunderstanding your issue...it sounds like either a gross misunderstanding of the intended use of the product or your eyes are not cooperating.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds like an issue with your eyes. The elevation knob is supposed to get POA equal to POA.

Have you tried looking through the optic at an object focusing on the object rather than the reticle? As far as the 1X goes...that is generally meaning there is as close to no magnification as possible at the lowest setting.

Unless I am completely misunderstanding your issue...it sounds like either a gross misunderstanding of the intended use of the product or your eyes are not cooperating.
View Quote

I think you may be misunderstanding my issue. Haven't been focusing on the reticle at all. Only talking about objects as they are seen through the scope with two eyes open.

I don't have a lot of time behind many different LVPOs and the only other one I currently own is a Razor Gen III 1-10x which does not have this issue for me at 1x. I assume it came set from the factory at the midpoint in the travel of its elevation knob and when I zeroed it on my rifle I didn't move it but 5-10 moa from that point. I'm sure if I had my mount and could even bore sight the accupoint I'd know more and possibly answer my own question outside of if this is normal or a defect.

I'll try and add some picture to show what I'm seeing. These won't show the "double image" I'm seeing but I think they will portray the issue I'm seeing very well.

Reference image.

Scope at top of elevation adjustment. Notice how the horizontal line of the desk is offset high in the image coming through the scope. All aiming points were kept the same as the rest of the images.

Scope at roughly mid point of elevation adjustment. Not as pronounced of an issue as above but still clearly there.

Scope at 2moa from bottom of elevation adjustment. Horizontal line of desk is pretty well matched between image coming through the scope and image around the scope.

And here's a head scratcher for you. If you have the elevation knob at the top of it's adjustment, where the issue is most pronounced, and turn the scope 90* to one side. Then the horizontal line of the desk lines up pretty well.

This test is repeatable and gives the same results whether the object is near or far. Picture had to be done inside since it's currently dark out. This gives a pretty good example of what I see with both eyes open, minus the doubling effect it causes when the image in the scope and around the scope don't line up.

I guess im trying to determine if the optic was designed with the natural zeroing point of the optic, on an AR rifle, near the bottom of its elevation knob travel or at it's midpoint of travel like I understand it is for most scopes. If it's at the bottom then I'll be in good shape. If it's like most scope and it ends up zeroing in the general area of the midpoint of travel then I'll be seeing a double image.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Go mount the thing on a gun and shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Tagged to learn.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three TR24s. They only needed adjustment a few MOA from center to get zeroed. They do not look like your pictures through the reticle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My mount came in today and I got the scope mounted up and bore zeroed at 50 yards. It zeroed at 3 full revolutions, or 72moa, up from the bottom of the elevation travel. That's near it's midpoint of travel.

Here's a picture of what it looks like. This can't be right?
Fence is at 50 yrds and it's offsetting the image in the scope almost 3' high at 50 yrds.

Again going all the way down in the elevation adjustment corrects the image. But then it's not zeroed.

I'm gonna reach out to trijicon tomorrow. And ask them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have three TR24s. They only needed adjustment a few MOA from center to get zeroed. They do not look like your pictures through the reticle.
View Quote

@topgunpilot20 any chance you could take a camera picture like mine so I could see? With some horizontal object.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#8]
@Styer, your TR24 doesn’t look right. Here’s a picture of my TR24G (50/200 zero) at 1X inside my house.

Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for that photo CDM

I just got off the phone with Trijicon and they said I definitely wasn't crazy and a vertical image shift of 3' at 50yrds was not normal at all. Most likely it's an issue with the internal parallax setting which is set at the factory during assembly. Also somehow could have been wacked, not sure how, out of adjustment somewhere in the scopes 9 year lifespan.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My mount came in today and I got the scope mounted up and bore zeroed at 50 yards. It zeroed at 3 full revolutions, or 72moa, up from the bottom of the elevation travel. That's near it's midpoint of travel.

Here's a picture of what it looks like. This can't be right?
Fence is at 50 yrds and it's offsetting the image in the scope almost 3' high at 50 yrds.
https://i.imgur.com/dJZ2quLl.jpg

Again going all the way down in the elevation adjustment corrects the image. But then it's not zeroed.

I'm gonna reach out to trijicon tomorrow. And ask them.
View Quote

Here's my backyard with weight bar, concrete edge, and bottom fence line. Everything lines up.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Did this get resolved?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think you may be misunderstanding my issue. Haven't been focusing on the reticle at all. Only talking about objects as they are seen through the scope with two eyes open.

I don't have a lot of time behind many different LVPOs and the only other one I currently own is a Razor Gen III 1-10x which does not have this issue for me at 1x. I assume it came set from the factory at the midpoint in the travel of its elevation knob and when I zeroed it on my rifle I didn't move it but 5-10 moa from that point. I'm sure if I had my mount and could even bore sight the accupoint I'd know more and possibly answer my own question outside of if this is normal or a defect.

I'll try and add some picture to show what I'm seeing. These won't show the "double image" I'm seeing but I think they will portray the issue I'm seeing very well.

Reference image.
https://i.imgur.com/0JerOJjl.jpg

Scope at top of elevation adjustment. Notice how the horizontal line of the desk is offset high in the image coming through the scope. All aiming points were kept the same as the rest of the images.
https://i.imgur.com/JHgoFTWl.jpg

Scope at roughly mid point of elevation adjustment. Not as pronounced of an issue as above but still clearly there.
https://i.imgur.com/qMxXJorl.jpg

Scope at 2moa from bottom of elevation adjustment. Horizontal line of desk is pretty well matched between image coming through the scope and image around the scope.
https://i.imgur.com/yWZ0Ip0l.jpg

And here's a head scratcher for you. If you have the elevation knob at the top of it's adjustment, where the issue is most pronounced, and turn the scope 90* to one side. Then the horizontal line of the desk lines up pretty well.
https://i.imgur.com/39GqUaul.jpg

This test is repeatable and gives the same results whether the object is near or far. Picture had to be done inside since it's currently dark out. This gives a pretty good example of what I see with both eyes open, minus the doubling effect it causes when the image in the scope and around the scope don't line up.

I guess im trying to determine if the optic was designed with the natural zeroing point of the optic, on an AR rifle, near the bottom of its elevation knob travel or at it's midpoint of travel like I understand it is for most scopes. If it's at the bottom then I'll be in good shape. If it's like most scope and it ends up zeroing in the general area of the midpoint of travel then I'll be seeing a double image.
View Quote
I misread something somewhere once I saw the pics.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I knew what was wrong the minute I saw "picked up a used".
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I knew what was wrong the minute I saw "picked up a used".
View Quote
What is it?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top