Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2021 12:40:08 AM EDT
O.k., so I've been S.O.L. to find a TA31-D, calibrated to 16" barrels firing 55 gr M193.

Today I purchased a TA31-H-G, which is designed for 14.5" barrels firing 62 grain (military rifle+ammo set up).

I would prefer not to purchase a new 14.5" barrel, I just finished this AR build and the 16" barrel I have is brand new. I also don't want to deal with SBR or Pin+Weld of muzzle device.

Sell this ACOG and wait for a 16" barrel model ACOG to show up (who knows when) or drop down to 14.5"?

Or just shoot the 16" barrel and call it a day.

I am shooting 55 grain for plinking, would like to zero with 77 grain (my logic is heavier bullet will move slower, to make up for the extra 1.5" barrel velocity)

What are your $0.02?

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Really not that much of a difference.  Shoot it and be happy!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Get used to the fact your BDC will never be absolutely accurate with whatever you’re shooting, even if you had a 14.5” barrel.

You’ll never be shooting the exact load at the exact velocity under the exact environmental conditions it’s calibrated for. But, chances are you’ll be close enough with your load and a 16” barrel.

Chrono your load, know your BC and drop it into a program like StreLockPro. Learn your holds based off of that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
The difference between the velocity of a specific load in a 14.5” barrel vs a 16” barrel are going to be so negligible as to not matter in practice.  You’d likely see more of a deviation from the marked reticle stadia/POI with a 30*-40* swing in temps or an altitude change than you would with a 14.5” vs 16” barrel.

As for trying out different loads, download the Strelok app and play around with different projectiles/velocities to get a rough idea of where they’ll put you at in regards to the reticle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
You got my FAVORITE acog.  

I’ve used that scope for years with 77gr and 16” barrels.

Works great.  

Zero on the 300M stadia at 300M and all the others will be so close you won’t notice until you get out past 500.  Which is a long ride for that gun & optic.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for your replies - I think I will stick with it
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The difference between the velocity of a specific load in a 14.5" barrel vs a 16" barrel are going to be so negligible as to not matter in practice.  You'd likely see more of a deviation from the marked reticle stadia/POI with a 30*-40* swing in temps or an altitude change than you would with a 14.5" vs 16" barrel.

As for trying out different loads, download the Strelok app and play around with different projectiles/velocities to get a rough idea of where they'll put you at in regards to the reticle.
View Quote
This Trijicon has it in their FAQ section if you are using M855 or M193 with 16" or 14.5" barrel the difference in POI will be less than the width of the stadia.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:17:50 AM EDT
[#7]
You are talking about 30 - 40 fps.  Send it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Your BDC was never as accurate as you thought it was in the first place. No way would I be swapping barrels or ACOGs. It is close enough and you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You got my FAVORITE acog.  

I’ve used that scope for years with 77gr and 16” barrels.

Works great.  

Zero on the 300M stadia at 300M and all the others will be so close you won’t notice until you get out past 500.  Which is a long ride for that gun & optic.
View Quote

Accurate. I had a 31F on a 12.5” firing 77’s. On paper it would be fucked beyond hope. Zeroed @ 300, and somehow the world kept turning. Being off 1” @ 100 and a few @ 400-500 isn’t the end of the world. It isn’t a precision optic anyway.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I just zeroed my first acog yesterday on a 14.5 using green tip because it's what it was optimized for supposedly. Zeroing was a breeze and I got great groups with the old AE green box m855 stuff in m4a1 colt bbl.

I wanted to shoot steel after zeroing and switching to some guat 193 I didn't see much of a accuracy difference really. These were lower end milsurp rounds but good barrel and they definitely worked with the acog good enough for any situation that 4x realistically could handle.

I don't think it's going to matter but they have a list here on barrel length and projectile somewhere on arfcom on zeroing the bdc acog.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#11]
You are way over thinking this.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't think it's going to matter but they have a list here on barrel length and projectile somewhere on arfcom on zeroing the bdc acog.
View Quote

Under the FAQ, #5, ACOG Specific Info, ACOG BDF Charts
Somebody should do a modern update with all the current models.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get used to the fact your BDC will never be absolutely accurate with whatever you’re shooting, even if you had a 14.5” barrel.

You’ll never be shooting the exact load at the exact velocity under the exact environmental conditions it’s calibrated for. But, chances are you’ll be close enough with your load and a 16” barrel.

Chrono your load, know your BC and drop it into a program like StreLockPro. Learn your holds based off of that.
View Quote

That.

You bought an optic specifically set up to shoot man sized targets in the torso at obscene distances. Who gives a shit if it's 2" low or high at 600m?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#14]
This is roughly what you’re looking at with M193 out of a 16” barrel. I used the BC for Federal 55gr FMJ and guessed at 2,900fps for a 16” which is probably close enough.

Range is in yards at my local environmental conditions.  As you can see it’s pretty close.

Ranges in a BDC are arbitrary to begin with and in the real world aren’t going to occur at such regular intervals. You’re probably never going to shoot at something exactly 500 yards away, so for you, that hash mark is 525.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is roughly what you’re looking at with M193 out of a 16” barrel. I used the BC for Federal 55gr FMJ and guessed at 2,900fps for a 16” which is probably close enough.

Range is in yards at my local environmental conditions.  As you can see it’s pretty close.

Ranges in a BDC are arbitrary to begin with and in the real world aren’t going to occur at such regular intervals. You’re probably never going to shoot at something exactly 500 yards away, so for you, that hash mark is 525.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241349/52049AD1-B9FB-4D60-B27D-0E230898CF55_png-1847616.JPG
View Quote

What height did you list the optic at? I think default is 2 inches but most AR’s are closer to 2.6 inches.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241349/52049AD1-B9FB-4D60-B27D-0E230898CF55_png-1847616.JPG
View Quote

This reminds me of an old Indian trick I forgot to mention. With most setups, the ACOG BDC is more efficient than than the rifle/ammo combo. I’ve always zeroed 1-2” high, but an alternate method is to zero as normal but to use the BDC in yards instead of meters. A lot of times it works great.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#17]
The BDC is not perfect.
You would need the same ammo brand/lot and exact barrel used by trijicon to match it.

Don’t overthink it
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top