Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2021 10:46:12 PM EDT
Having a lot of problems with arthritis. The original trigger has nearly 7# pull. Looking at a Timney drop in with 3.5 # pull. Has anyone had experience with Timney triggers. Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Timney is okay.. Geissele S-DE or SSAE is better.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Many here advocate the affordably priced Larue MBT2  4.5 lb two stage trigger.

I like the incredibly smooth, crisp Geissele SSA-E, which is a 3.5 lb total pull through.

Two stage triggers act like a single stage with a long pull.

But, if you press slowly, you feel a "wall" at the end of the first stage (about 2.3 lbs with the SSA-E). You can hold there, practically indefinitely while adjusting sight picture, breathing, and then apply just a little more pressure (an extra 1 to 1.2 lbs with the SSA-E) and the hammer falls.

But, if you just want a lighter single stage trigger, Timney makes good stuff.  Caveat:  Timney triggers, like many others, are self-contained cartridge drop in triggers.  Because they do not have the exposed spring "legs" to capture the detents or grooves in the two pins that hold the trigger groups in place, those pins are not secured and can walk out.  You might need to use special anti-walk pins.

Mil-spec type trigger groups (including Larue and Geissele) have separate parts.  The spring legs will capture the standard pins and hold them in place.  Just a thought.  These triggers retain full power hammer strike for reliability.

Some might come along and recommend JP Enterprises "yellow" trigger springs".  They cost only about $10.  They reduce trigger pull to about 4 to 4.5 lbs.  however, they reduce hammer strike force and might not be a good choice for home defense or other situations where 100% reliability is essential.  They can be a viable choice for purely range/recreational use.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you all for your advice. I'll probably go with the Timney. I'm to old and crippled to do much more than range and recreational.
Still enjoy it though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Timney is a well respected, quality product. You won't be disappointed. The reccomendation to get some anti-walk pins is good advice for a "cartridge" type trigger. Depending on what you prefer you MAY like a 2 stage better. It's really up to you. I like a 2 stage on my ARs. If there's a local gun shop that will let you try out the feel of a few, it might be worth doing. My preferred shop has quite a few triggers set up in mock pistol grip things that let you try them out right in the shop. The ability to hold about 2 pounds while you get that perfect sight picture before adding a bit more to break the shot, plus the reduced chance of bumpfire with a lighter trigger on a semiauto just makes sense to me. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
AIM or JSE just had RRA 2 stage target/varmint triggers 3.5lbs for $70.

I love my Hiperfire 24E - 2lb pull, crisp and no real pre- and no over- travel.  With bonus 40% more thwack on the hammer.  You can get a Hiperfire EDT unit - at 3.5-4.5lbs - for $99.

Of course, all the triggers mentioned so far in this thread are good - pick whatever one fits your needs and budget.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I think anyone of the triggers mentioned will help your situation....I have never used a Timney in an AR, but had one in my bolt action tactical rifle and it was as crisp and as light as you could ask for.  

Being you are having issues with arthritis, a drop in is the way to go and not have to deal with installing individual components, assuming you were to do the work your self...

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The best you can do at the moment is to simulate a trigger pull to gauge the amount of force at which your condition is uncomfortable. Perhaps test the finger with a pull gauge or fish scale. Otherwise you're spending money on something with might not result in a good outcome. And then you must consider the trade-off with going light such as safety, etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I did the fish scale test and 3 - 4 # seems right on. I've concidered the safety thing but have been shooting all my life and am a safety nut. Trigger shipped yesterday so should have it going by the first of the week. Will report on the outcome in case someone is interested.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Decent triggers. I have the TIMNEY COMPETITION TRIGGER - 667S in one of my guns. Believe it's 3 lbs. Single-stage. I prefer 2-stage when I have time to think.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Hyperfire makes very good triggers as well, but some can be a bit spendy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I've tried Elftmann SE, Hiperfire EDT, and more recently CMC triggers.  I've liked them all as major improvements over heavy, gritty milspec triggers.  But the one that makes me smile every time I use it is the CMC 3.5lb flat bow trigger.  Something about this trigger just jives with me.  No creep and a glass rod break make it a fun trigger to use.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Never used one, but have heard good things about Timney.  They've been around a while, and I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

However, as MS556 said, Larue MBT-2S is the best bang for the buck, but the SSA-E is so smooth/crisp and light.  You'll pay for it though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Installed my Timney trigger this morning and headed to the range. All I can say is WOW!, what a difference! It is the Timney Impact trigger. I would recommend this trigger to anyone for range and recreational use. The pull is very light and short. Break is crisp. Had to give up my Harley a couple of years ago and was afraid the same thing would happen to my AR. Nope! Only question is why did I wait so long to do this?
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Great news and feedback.....keep shooting.

Bronc
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#15]
LaRue trigger w/ a light spring.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Timney is okay.. Geissele S-DE or SSAE is better.
View Quote

The above post has it right
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Installed my Timney trigger this morning and headed to the range. All I can say is WOW!, what a difference! It is the Timney Impact trigger. I would recommend this trigger to anyone for range and recreational use. The pull is very light and short. Break is crisp. Had to give up my Harley a couple of years ago and was afraid the same thing would happen to my AR. Nope! Only question is why did I wait so long to do this?
View Quote

Rock on, brother! I use 2 stage in all of my rifles. LaRue is my fav but any is better than a mil spec. Enjoy your Timney.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]
CMC 2.5lb drop in flat face. You'll love it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had a Timney trigger setup for years now on my Bushmaster.  Awesome piece of kit.  Enjoy and be safe.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Taking arthritis into account,  any trigger under 5 lbs will be massively better.  While there are differences,  almost all aftermarket triggers are good these days
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top