Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2021 7:56:20 PM EDT
I am trying to help a friend resolve an issue with a custom AR he bought. It may shoot 2 or 3 rounds, then the trigger just cannot be pulled. It's seems like the safety got put on. When it happens and I open up the gun on the hinge pin, the hammer seems fully reset and then the hammer will fall. The gun passes the gas test. It will hold open on last round. I guess I need to pull the trigger group, check assembly and look at the safety. It's just kind of weird when I break open the gun the fire control group functions fine it seems.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pull the bolt off the carrier, and with carrier with key, make sure that the gas tube is correctly indexed with the key.
If shooting reloads, use a ammo test gauge to check to make sure that the ammo is sized correctly as well.

Hence sounds like the bolt is not fully locking up, and the above two issues will cause that problem.

Also, when trigger is not reset, just look at the front of the carrier, and make sure its tight against the back of the barrel extenion (that the bolt is fully locked up).

If the above not the problem, the may be that the disco is not retaining the hammer on trigger reset, and would need to make sure that disco spring is installed to begin with (large coil side into the trigger slot), and that the free gap of the disco is .001"~.003" range that the hammer rear sear can pass bay the disco sear with the trigger untouched on over cock of the hammer back.
View Quote

Thanks, I have not dug into it yet, but I was suspecting either the disconnector or bcg not going into full battery.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am trying to help a friend resolve an issue with a custom AR he bought. It may shoot 2 or 3 rounds, then the trigger just cannot be pulled. It's seems like the safety got put on. When it happens and I open up the gun on the hinge pin, the hammer seems fully reset and then the hammer will fall. The gun passes the gas test. It will hold open on last round. I guess I need to pull the trigger group, check assembly and look at the safety. It's just kind of weird when I break open the gun the fire control group functions fine it seems.
View Quote

Trigger spring on backwards.

Legs go forward.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Spring is in  correctly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spring is in  correctly.
View Quote

Is the disconnector spring in fat side down?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally looked at it and figured it out. The first time I looked at his gun the buffer retaining pin was broken when I cracked open the gun and his pin holding the forward assist was fubarred and I fixed those and gave him a new firing pin. Well I ordered some  brass case dummy rounds to try and see how dummy rounds cycled but they haven't come yet. So anyway I decided to take a close look and just empty hand cycle it. Did not notice anything funny. Opened it up again and took off the lower and just kept hand cycling the hammer and trigger and safety and didn't see anything funny. Then I suddenly found the culprit. The broken tit off the buffer retainer pin was in the trigger pocket. Whoever assembled the gun didn't properly snug the buffer tube up enough to secure that retaining pin. I fixed all that a couple of weeks ago but didn't see the broken pin in there.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top