Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2020 9:53:38 PM EDT
I just got a DDM4V7 and I don't want to mess it up my lower choice. I did a build a couple years ago with an SSA trigger and I really like it, but I've read in a few places that something closer to stock is better for a "working" gun. So should I put another SSA under the DD upper or go for an ALG-ACT? I won't be using it in competition, just for taking classes in the fall after I retire and lots of practice. I already have both triggers, so it's not "which one to buy," just wondering if one would better in this application, and if so the reasoning. Thanks, I'm itching to put my lower together.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
MBT-2S all the things
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Try them out and decide for yourself.  You're going to get a myriad of comments about what to use.  I prefer single stage (so my recommendation would be obvious given your two options).  Others prefer 2 stage.  It's really up to you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Larue MBT-1S in my DD MK18, an ALG AK-E in my SLR-106, a PSA enhanced trigger group in my PSA Dissiaptor, and just recently installed an AIM Surplus SSTAT trigger in my 15-22. In my opinion, the ALG AK-E has the best feel: a nice single stage 3.5 lb break. To me it's perfect for work purposes because it allows me to shoot fast and accurate. There's very little take up and reset and it feels beefy. The SSTAT feels similar in pull and reset but too little under my finger. When it all comes down to it there's different strokes for different folks. Find which you like the best and run with it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go with a SSA
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a question of personal preference.  As you saw in other posts, you are the best judge about the final decision as to which trigger to go with.  Just compare how you feel when you shoot either gun, with emphasis on which trigger you like better.  Maybe just do some dry-firing exercises to compare.

S4F

U.S. Navy Veteran
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Certified Instructor – Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety,
    Chief Range Safety Officer, Personal Protection in the Home,
   Personal Protection Outside the Home, Metallic Cartridge / Shotshell Reloading
VCDL Member
VSSA Member

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah as others have said. SSA is more than G2G on a combat rifle. MBT is significantly cheaper and excellent quality. Several other options as well.

A sub- 3lb competition trigger may be dangerous for duty use, but there are literally dozens of combat-capable triggers that could and would serve you well anywhere from HD to the mountains of Afghanistan.

Move forward with confidence.

ETA: missed the part where you said you already own it. Yeah, slap that puppy in and enjoy trigger perfection.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]
i have both the larue mbt 2s and 1s  
i got the 2s based on reviews and everyone loving a 2 stage trigger.  i like it alot do not get me wrong, it shoots fine on the bench and shoots fine plinking steel. but my new ar i built has the 1s and ive come to my senses and i like a good single stage for a work/steel/plinking gun. i like the 2 stage for a bench gun.

ill be going with single stage for the rest of my builds, but im NOT taking the mbt 2s out of my ar that its in, its a fine trigger and works well. but for the future im going single.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]
SSA is a working gun trigger as someone already mentioned...and a great one at that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the ssa-e (and 2 g2s-e’s) in every one of my guns except for my national match in my 20” cmp gun.

I love the ssa(e) and across the board it’s a combat rifle trigger for a precision gun. My M4s even got them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just got a DDM4V7 and I don't want to mess it up my lower choice. I did a build a couple years ago with an SSA trigger and I really like it, but I've read in a few places that something closer to stock is better for a "working" gun. So should I put another SSA under the DD upper or go for an ALG-ACT? I won't be using it in competition, just for taking classes in the fall after I retire and lots of practice. I already have both triggers, so it's not "which one to buy," just wondering if one would better in this application, and if so the reasoning. Thanks, I'm itching to put my lower together.
View Quote

I use the ALG ACT in budget builds. If I had a choice I would stick a SSA in every single rifle. It's a combat trigger, not competition.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SSA is a working gun trigger.
View Quote

i agree. the SSA is perfect. the SSA-E might be a little light for some people's liking.

from what i've read, the MBT2S is similar to the SSA for 80 or 90 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Giesselle SSA. It was a big improvement over the factor Colt trigger, but I have since moved on to a Velocity trigger and like it way better. https://www.highimpactmfg.com/VELOCITY-AR15-AR10-3LB-DROP-IN-TRIGGER

There are a lot of good options on the market. The Velocity trigger is one of the better ones in terms of cost and feel. Where it really shines is in terms of rapid follow-up shots. When I'm running drills, it is easy to lean on that thing and throw some lead downrange.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
MBT-2S all the things
View Quote

...that you don't already have an SSA in
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I have Geissele triggers they are nice I also have larue triggers. Larue triggers are a way better value.  Pof triggers are also ok but are not my pick for an accurate rifle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]
LaRue MBT is slightly more than the ACT and a much better trigger.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would go with a SSA
View Quote

The winning post.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
MBT-2S all the things
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#19]
80.bucks is an amazing deal on a great trigger. Got four of them and think they were only 75 when I got my last three.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a bunch of the MBT 2S triggers and for the money, there is nothing better....I said for the money.  If they were the same price as Geissele, I would go with the Geissele.  

I have three MBT 1S and I am not impressed with these.  Took out some ALG Defense triggers in two rifles, a PWS and ADM and replaced with the MBT 1S and thinking about putting the ALGs back

Now, I replaced a MBT 2S in my DD SBR with a Geissele SSP single stage and it is just phenomenal ....$240, essentially three MBTs.  But IMO, well worth it

The SBR suppressed and the Geissle trigger is just a stupid good combination.  I could not be happier

Bronc
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Funny, I went with the SSA specifically because it was a combat trigger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends what they mean by that

The SSA is durable enough for a work gun. Hands down.

However, some prefer a heavier trigger for a HD/Work gun. Fine motor skills are out the window in high stress situations and a mil-spec pull is less likely to result in a negligent discharge than a light 2.5lb trigger.

Some would argue that's a training issue.

Personally I like a standard AR trigger. I own geisselle as well. I've just gravitated back towards the standard pull, like the way it feels. Works for my needs. I'm not a competition shooter, and I can run a standard trigger plenty fast.

In that arena, BCM PNT and ALG ACT are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#23]
dupe
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The SSA is a working gun trigger.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:12:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MBT-2S all the things

+1

+2
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#26]
The Alg Act is a great trigger. It’s about as good as a milspec trigger gets. Alg is associated with Geissele, and they made the act to be their go to trigger for working guns, in situations where custom triggers aren’t allowed. I not knocking the SSA in any way, it will certainly be a level above, but the act was made with a singular focus.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I just joined the forum today as I am beginning my search for an AR 15. In doing so, my LGS advertises Geissele "Super Duty" rifles for $1,200 +/-.  So reading/hearing about the excellence of Geissele triggers I looked on the Geissele site the "Super Duty" rifles are listed MSRP $1,750. So needless to say that raised my curiosity due to the difference. So in talking with Geissele, I find out that when "19" hit and the LGS ran out to inventory, Geissele put together several "models" quickly to help with the local LGS inventory. Further as I found out from Geissele, these "19" models are not exactly the same as what they advertise on their site. Naturally I asked what the differences were and am waiting for a reply.

To my point, one has to be so careful when shopping and has to do the research to know exactly what they are buying.  Caveat emptor as the saying goes!
Just sayin'

F.Y.I.: By the way I should also add in doing this Geissele research I find out that ACT triggers are made by Geissele in the same factory. Bill Geissele has a video describing the ACT triggers and how they differ from the Geissele triggers.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top