Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2020 7:32:16 AM EDT
TLDR: HD discussion led me look seriously at an AR platform, decided on the BCM pistol. To fund the purchase, I’m trading in my old Colt AR A2 Sporter2.  

Though I’m very competent with a handgun, I’m strongly considering the AR platform for HD. I am open minded to change. But for the past 30 years, My go to for HD is a readily available handgun or two in my bedroom. I could never imagine swinging around a full sized AR in clearing my home...  I have coworkers with Mil experience who (if allowed) would sling their ARs when making routine traffic stops, but I think our work ARs, 16” BCMs are too cumbersome for use in clearing cubicles, lol.  I’m MUCH quicker bringing a handgun to target, and I usually hit what I’m aiming at. In close quarters, a handgun is a no brainer for me.   However, When I started chatting with some online buddies of mine, they started to challenge my thinking.

I really like the BCM platform, its what I carry every day at work. It’s high quality, and not that this should matter, but serious gun folks tend to go “oooooh” when they see my work rifle.. must mean it’s well respected.  I just dislike the size and weight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
So, I’m off to research land (interwebs) to look at what’s out there. A few buddies recommend I look into the AR pistol in order to gain that nimbleness I’d want, while also gaining some advantages in the round vs my normal 9mm hot defensive loads. I land firmly at the doorstep of BCM and
Vortex.  I’m in WI, and both are WI companies. So I can get a 100% WI build, full BCM Recce 11.5 Mk2 kit with BCM metal flip ups and a Vortex Razor reflex optic, which retails in the $2300-2400 range. I’ll get a discounted price, but it’s still a pricey “on a whim” purchase.  

My wife is firmly in the “nope” category, so I’ll need to come up with alternative funding... since robbing a bank has negative career impacts, I look at my existing arsenal for inspiration. I’m not a huge fan of selling guns, but I’m also a practical person. I realize I have a safe queen pre-ban Colt AR A2 SporteR 2 that has literally sat in my safe pretty much untouched for the past 28 years. It’s not NIB, but it’s pretty solid.  It doesn’t get used... A new AR pistol would get used, and has practical applications such as home defense, etc. so I talk to my LGS guys, who actually start gushing over my Colt when I bring it in...  after some research, they say the prices are ranging from 1500-2500. I still have the original Colt soft case, and mags, so we price it on the lower half of that range.  It’s been on sale for 1 day, and there’s been a bit of interest.  Once my AR sells, I’ll be the proud owner of a BCM beast!  

This is my first couple posts. I’ve participated in several gun forums in the past, but since I wasn’t super active in The AR realm (only own two), I didn’t think to join here, until now.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
There are some on here that will tell you to never sell a gun, but I am not one of them. BCM makes some fine equipment, and if you will get use out of the pistol, I say go for it.
My experience is an AR pistol, or SBR are much handier for your intended use than a 20" AR.
Welcome to the forum, and you should stop in the hometown forum and say hello.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response.  TBH this forum is quite different than others I’ve frequented, and moderated.  I wasn’t sure where to start.  Off to Hometown I go for an intro post.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive had nothing but good experiences with bcm from there rifles to there cs. If you wanted to save a little money buy the bcm upper and buy a stripped lower of your choice , aero precision lowers run 60 to 100 bucks if you catch a sale. There very easy to assemble takes 15 mins and set of punches and a armorers wrench. I just sold a upper to start a new build . I was very much in the never sell camp but the more i learn the more my tastes have changed . If i can help with anything else feel free to ask and welcome
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Just my opinion only but I would keep that Colt A2 and build a nice pistol, that meets your needs. Trust me, the day will come when you will regret selling that A2 Sporter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with above^^^. If at all possible I would try to fund the new project and keep the Sporter 2...one day will come. I was in the same boat but decided to keep mine and sure glad I did. BTW welcome to the group.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just my opinion only but I would keep that Colt A2 and build a nice pistol, that meets your needs. Trust me, the day will come when you will regret selling that A2 Sporter.
View Quote

Yeah id keep that Colt and piece together a pistol
The Colt is never going to to go down in price nor is a 20 inch iron sighted rifle a bad thing to have
I am building a pistol
I buy parts when I have money and soon enough it will be done
Some guns I've sold I have no regrets but a Colt AR15 I would regret if I had one and sold it
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:16:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't sell your Colt.  Build a pistol.  Use quality parts.  Then you'll have two ARs which makes you happy = )  

Edit: As far as working around the wife unit; buy one part at a time.  A receiver here, a barrel there,  maybe get that fancy changing handle that BCM doesn't offer on their factory options, and the next thing you know, in a few weeks another AR is born.  I have successfully used this technique for the last two.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a SAIGA ak47 and have thought of trading it for an AR but just can’t do it. Some things you know will hold a good value.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't sell your Colt.  Build a pistol.  Use quality parts.  Then you'll have two ARs which makes you happy = )  

Edit: As far as working around the wife unit; buy one part at a time.  A receiver here, a barrel there,  maybe get that fancy changing handle that BCM doesn't offer on their factory options, and the next thing you know, in a few weeks another AR is born.  I have successfully used this technique for the last two.  
View Quote

I here the folks saying not to sell... but it’s literally a matter of what do I want more?  I can’t have both, so do I want a quality BCM that is practical, and could be useful in HD?  Or do I want a safe queen that doesn’t get shot, and has zero applicability for HD?  

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I here the folks saying not to sell... but it’s literally a matter of what do I want more?  I can’t have both, so do I want a quality BCM that is practical, and could be useful in HD?  Or do I want a safe queen that doesn’t get shot, and has zero applicability for HD?  

View Quote

Maybe one of the folks telling you not to sell will give you what you would rather have.
I would get what you want and think you will use. BCM makes good stuff, and another WI company, Midwest Industries does as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m with you, brother. If I had that Colt, is sell it too. I buy and then when something has outlived its usefulness or its intrigue Has worn off, out the door it goes.

It’s just a gun. Yes, I know “but it’s a Colt!” Yeah, which is a gun.

Get  what you want or you’ll grow to despise that Colt.

My $.02. Worth what you paid for it. :)
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#13]
sell it. guns are for shooting :)
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#14]
For self defense,  I picked up a 10.5 psa (palmeto state armory) and threw it on a cheap psa lower. It's not fancy, it's not moa shooter, it's not Gucci but it runs well. It eats everything,  including wolf .223 and asks for more. I threw a vortex red dot on it which has 50k running hours on a battery and it's been solid. Overall, it was under $700 and I would trust my life to this little pistol.

Keep the other rifle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

you could also buy a BCM upper and keep the Colt (id still sell it though!). i love the mlok ELW 11.5"

your name looks familiar. are you on MTB, tackletour or reefcentral?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
The deal is done... my Colt AR flew to a new parent, and I’m the owner of a new baby...

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome! We are going to need some pictures!
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Welcome, look at it this way, you just made someone very happy. I like all the BCM Kit I have. Good company and quality products.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Welcome, look at it this way, you just made someone very happy. I like all the BCM Kit I have. Good company and quality products.
View Quote

and we need pics of new setup!
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m all about posting pics... however, I think this forum requires off site pic hosting, right?  Grrrrr.

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#21]
You can post pics by going to media choosing Select File , then Upload.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top