Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2022 4:36:06 PM EDT
I recently stumbled across these magazines.

It looks like an interesting idea, they claim 35 rounds in a 30 round sized mag, and 50 in a 40 sized one. That's intriguing. Looks like they do this with the addition of a second spring towards the front.

Attachment Attached File

Seems like an interesting idea. I ordered a few to test them out and see what the quality is like. I'll report back when I've given them a whirl.

Has anyone tried these out?
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I am eager to read any reports.  I'm tempted to Buy a few of these.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ll stick with Okay Industries!
View Quote

For now, absolutely. But if they end up being decently built and work, I'll take 5 more rounds per mag on my PC any day.

I'm a bit skeptical as well, but who knows? Worst case I have some funny novelty range mags.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone else mentioned Eagle in the other thread, but I thought it was Ramline who used a coiled spring like this in their plastic mags. They were rather nice to load.

EDIT - just found one of the Eagles in storage - you were right. Maybe the Ramlines were for a 10/22?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a few of each size, used them in multiple 2 gun matches with no problems at all.

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll stick with Okay Industries!
View Quote
This
simple and reliable

adding more gimmicks and gadgets is just more opportunities for a problem

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This
simple and reliable

adding more gimmicks and gadgets is just more opportunities for a problem

View Quote

A different type of spring mechanism is not adding "more gimmicks and gadgets".

Any new tech could be viewed with that same type of cynical view.  I'd love to see how your personal ARs are configured.

Bet I could spot a gimmick and gadget on them!

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A different type of spring mechanism is not adding "more gimmicks and gadgets".

Any new tech could be viewed with that same type of cynical view.  I'd love to see how your personal ARs are configured.

Bet I could spot a gimmick and gadget on them!

View Quote

I would normally agree. Let's talk about this a bit more. The heart of the magazine has been relatively unchanged. The science is well known. A departure, should be met with initial skepticism. Why? I can load a Surefeed magazine and as long as its properly stored, it will outlast me. Will that be the same with this?

Other examples. People still complain about Magpul feed lips even in proper storage, or Lancer long term durability. Just to name a few brands. I own magpul, lancer, d&h, surefeed, a duramag or two, even a few koreans. An example of my skepticism meeting interest. On the surface I like the idea of Quad stack mags from dessert tech https://deserttech.com/quadmag-53.php?type=com - So I am not afraid of ingenuity.

To be fair, I may buy 6 myself but I wont give them the "stack deep" approval until more people try it out. Has anyone tried them in a Scar 16?
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I finally got a chance to try these out. I didn't want to waste a ton of ammo, but I selected one 40 rounder at random from the ones I bought and took her to the range. I ran 4 full mags through it without a single malfunction. I did try it on my "go to" AR, which eats just about anything.

They're noticably harder to load than a normal mag, but not so much that I couldn't do it with thumbs alone. I did use the side of the table to assist near the end though, but it would have been doable.

I'm going to leave a couple loaded for a few weeks and see what there is to see then. Hopefully there's no deformation of the feed lips or binding. I'm purposely doing this with steel case to give them a worst case scenario. And because I'm cheap

I'd be happy to pull one apart and post pics if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I finally got a chance to try these out. I didn't want to waste a ton of ammo, but I selected one 40 rounder at random from the ones I bought and took her to the range. I ran 4 full mags through it without a single malfunction. I did try it on my "go to" AR, which eats just about anything.

They're noticably harder to load than a normal mag, but not so much that I couldn't do it with thumbs alone. I did use the side of the table to assist near the end though, but it would have been doable.

I'm going to leave a couple loaded for a few weeks and see what there is to see then. Hopefully there's no deformation of the feed lips or binding. I'm purposely doing this with steel case to give them a worst case scenario. And because I'm cheap

I'd be happy to pull one apart and post pics if anyone is interested.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I might pick a few of these up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I know this isnt new tech it's actually old tech used on mags in the 60s I have 8x 50rnd mags all have work just fine as for right now I have had them about two years now no problems.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. More parts to break on those things.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. For life or death situations I agree with you pending a lot of testing.

That being said, why poop on the idea right out of the gate? Maybe it has merit and is easier to pull off with modern technology. Maybe it sucks donkey balls.

The fun is in finding out. I kind of miss mil surp and stupid gun products, zombie shit and can cannons. There's so much of a focus on practicality for everything these days that it stifles innovation, and more importantly fun. This hobby is supposed to be fun.

I'm interested BECAUSE it's different.

/Rant over
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 4:52:08 AM EDT
[#14]
In my experience the feedlips are extremely fragile, and they make a great bullet fountain when dropped on carpet from waist height.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
They sent me a 15% off sale email a few days ago, so I ordered 2 of the 40 round mags to test out. They are supposed to be here Saturday, and hopefully I’ll have a chance to test them out this weekend.  It’s an interesting design if the reliability and durability is there. I’ll do my best to get one of them to fail.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They sent me a 15% off sale email a few days ago, so I ordered 2 of the 40 round mags to test out. They are supposed to be here Saturday, and hopefully I’ll have a chance to test them out this weekend.  It’s an interesting design if the reliability and durability is there. I’ll do my best to get one of them to fail.
View Quote

You gonna do any durability testing?  I'm not saying drive over it with your truck, but like 5 foot drop, stuff like that?
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You gonna do any durability testing?  I'm not saying drive over it with your truck, but like 5 foot drop, stuff like that?
View Quote

Exactly.  Drops from shoulder height with full Mag, half Mag, quarter Mag, etc…. Also will test how they function under adverse conditions like water and/or sand in the mag. And of course how well they feed with different loads from 55gr to 77gr.

If I end up destroying one in the process then that’s fine. I want to know what all they can handle and still function or how little it takes to induce failure.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top