Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2022 8:44:09 AM EDT
Looking to swap my 10.5" bbl for a 11.5" bbl to fit a 10.75" handguard I have coming.

Did a lot of looking through Molon posts and it seems like the Criterion Core series punches way above its weight?

Any others worth looking at?

Not looking to spend Proof research type money. LMT? LaRue? Faxon? DD?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Daniel defense.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been rocking a stainless noveske pacnor 11.5 for years. Still shoots like a laser
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been rocking a stainless noveske pacnor 11.5 for years. Still shoots like a laser
View Quote

I dont see any of their current lineup for barrels coming in a 11.5".

I've also heard that the more recent Noveske stuff has been subpar compared to the OG Noveske barrels of old when John was still alive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
No personal experience yet, but I'm looking at the BRT Optimum for a replacement.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are you looking for? Longevity? Precision? Light weight?

What optic will you be using?

View Quote

Mid weight profile most likely. That way there is some mass to suck up the heat from the suppressor. Longevity is probably the biggest thing. I tend to run this gun pretty hard and it gets really hot. Don't want to do SS because of the elements and rain/snow rusting things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've also heard that the more recent Noveske stuff has been subpar compared to the OG Noveske barrels of old when John was still alive.
View Quote

Noveske.

Period.

Not sure where the "hearsay" is for the underlined portion but they are very much top tier.

ETA: Didn't see the available options you had posted for what you were tentatively looking for. Investing a decent amount in the barrel won't really hurt you in the immediate or long haul.

If I had to rank what I would line-up, I'd go with this: Noveske, LaRue, Criterion, Sionic, BCM....

After hearing about how DD is selling out, I'm avoiding them.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking to swap my 10.5" bbl for a 11.5" bbl to fit a 10.75" handguard I have coming.

Did a lot of looking through Molon posts and it seems like the Criterion Core series punches way above its weight?

Any others worth looking at?

Not looking to spend Proof research type money. LMT? LaRue? Faxon? DD?
View Quote

DD, Centurion, Sionics

ETA: there’s a Hodge 11.5 barrel on the EE, it would be a good hard use CHF barrel from FN.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I run Hodge barrels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Noveske.

Period.

Not sure where the "hearsay" is for the underlined portion but they are very much top tier.

ETA: Didn't see the available options you had posted for what you were tentatively looking for. Investing a decent amount in the barrel won't really hurt you in the immediate or long haul.

If I had to rank what I would line-up, I'd go with this: Noveske, LaRue, Criterion, Sionic, BCM....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noveske.

Period.

I'd put Triarc up near the top of any list
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Daniel defense.
View Quote
You can eek out some gains in weight/balance, space rock metallurgy, "optimized" ports, etc...but I've never once been let down by DD CHF barrels.

They replaced my shot-out 10.3" without me asking or expecting them to. I'll continue to recommend their barrels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd put Triarc up near the top of any list
View Quote

Brain fart on my end.

Add Triarc to that list indeed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#15]
BCA
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Interesting. Lots of comments so far!

Lots of the suggested barrels seem to be out of stock. I've found the Core in stock at stockpile defense. Looking for others in stock as well.

ETA: Any feedback on Stockpile Defense? G2G?

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#17]
My 11.5" G is very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Noveske.

Period.

View Quote

?

edit: Never any complaints from my DD barrels.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Fwiw I shot a 4 moa 22 round group with irons at 200 yards from the prone with a cheap ass psa 11.5" fsb upper and carry handle shooting wild steel cased ammo.

Barrels are so good now a days its much less of an issue than in the past.

Same for the elements. Any nitrided or stainless barrel will hold up better than a parked barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fwiw I shot a 4 moa 22 round group with irons at 200 yards from the prone with a cheap ass psa 11.5" fsb upper and carry handle shooting wild steel cased ammo.

Same for the elements. Any nitrided or stainless barrel will hold up better than a parked barrel.
View Quote

I’d agree with general accuracy purposes but this is my HD, life on the line, don’t cheap out gun.

After many many moons, I was finally able to acquire a stupid urx3 10.75” handguard and will swap the barrel out to a 11.5. Renting the URX tool from a buddy and just want to get as solid of a SHTF barrel as I possibly can. Even better if it’s got a profile and port size to favor suppressed shooting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’d agree with general accuracy purposes but this is my HD, life on the line, don’t cheap out gun.

After many many moons, I was finally able to acquire a stupid urx3 10.75” handguard and will swap the barrel out to a 11.5. Renting the URX tool from a buddy and just want to get as solid of a SHTF barrel as I possibly can. Even better if it’s got a profile and port size to favor suppressed shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my point. Just Google what you want and pick one. It would be really hard to make a bad decision. You have to search "worst 11.5" barrel" to do so.

Bcm
FN
Green mountain
Psa
Windam
Brownells
Faxon
Ballistic advantage
White oak
Daniel defense
Spikes/FN
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Daniel defense.
View Quote

They’re not getting another dollar of mine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Even better if it’s got a profile and port size to favor suppressed shooting.
View Quote

Easy. Geissele.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:02:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Hammer Forged BCM
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Criterion CORE is a an excellent barrel choice
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Colt, FN, or BCM
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#29]
ETA:

Bought the Criterion Core 11.5.

We'll see how it goes when it shows up. I'll run an Aero or Superlative AGB on it to tune it to my suppressor use. Looks like its a solid barrel that is rugged and accurate.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Criterion Core 11.5 has 1/8 twist and .625 gas block journal diameter which are aspects to take into consideration.  

IMO, Top shelf 11.5 barrels for separate purchase are going to be: Proof research carbon fiber (yes I know you’re not wanting to spend that $$$), Noveske SS, and Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#31]
If this is going to be for hard use, forget about Faxon.  Ballistic Advantage is pretty dang good for the price.  I really like the Hanson profile with the .750 has journal.  It handles heat pretty well in terms of retaining accuracy.  My latest assembly, with hard use in mind, is built around a Criterion 12.5" hyrid barrel.  I went hybrid because I see a suppressor in my near future and I wanted the extra heft.  When talking about a barrel that short, there isn't much difference between the Core and the Hybrid profiles in terms of weight.  From the research I did, the Hybrid profile is intended for hard use and holds its accuracy better than the Core profile.

I can say that even when HOT, the Criterion holds things together.  I got jaw dropping accuracy out of mine with M193, shooting 10 shot groups that amounted to a ragged hole at 50 yards and my BA barrels would never do that with M193.  Just yesterday I hit 10 out of 10 clay pigeons at 100 yards off of the back stop and that was after I just got through running three mags of transitions drills.  The criterion is definitely worth the money.  I got my 12.5 at ar15discounts.  They had a few left when I last looked.  I'm thinking about replacing my 11.3 BA with a lightweight Criterion.  I'm a big fan now.

The Criterion is also gassed properly.  I run an A5 tube with an H2 buffer.  I run a lot of steel with some brass mixed in.  I ran steel fine, but failed to lock back an empty mag a few times.  I replaced one of the tungsten weights in my buffer with a steel one, and all was good after that.  It shoots very soft.  The difference between the 12.5 Criterion Hybrid and the 11.3 BA Hanson with .625 gas journal was like night and day.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Colt FBI/HRT 11.5 barrel, medium (Socom) profile and .069 gas port is a good shooter.

Cheapest price I’ve seen in a while $320
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M4-Commando-11-5-inch-556mm-Barrel-Assembly-p/sp401757.htm
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Colt FBI/HRT 11.5 barrel, medium (Socom) profile and .069 gas port is a good shooter.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M4-Commando-11-5-inch-556mm-Barrel-Assembly-p/sp401757.htm
View Quote

FSB.  Why?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:20:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

FSB.  Why?
View Quote

I haven’t seen Colt sell these barrels stripped, would prefer it though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Spike's FN CHF 11.5" lightweight, $267 @ Lanbo's
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FSB.  Why?

So dated...
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I am partial to Daniel Defense and Colt barrels.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#39]
My Colt 11.5", FBI profile barrel has been great.  Lot's of great choices for 11.5" barrels.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Criterion Core 11.5 has 1/8 twist and .625 gas block journal diameter which are aspects to take into consideration.  

IMO, Top shelf 11.5 barrels for separate purchase are going to be: Proof research carbon fiber (yes I know you’re not wanting to spend that $$$), Noveske SS, and Daniel Defense.
View Quote

The 1/8 is phenomenal in my Criterion Hybrid, and a 625 means more room underneath to fit and not flex bump the free float, especially the popular skinny ones. Nothing to take into, the combo is perfect really.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So dated...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FSB.  Why?

So dated...

This again? If you want the FSB off, then take it off. I did, done. But some are not bothered and actually like the FSB. It's an already there natural index point. If the user believes in back up sights, the fixed front is one less thing to deploy and while a bump may throw rail mounted front sight's zero off, a fixed front sight block will not. If you're worried about not being able to free float, there's options for that too. Daniel Defense Omega if the user wants the traditional look. And Midwest Industries and Centurion Arms both have Mlok free float options that extends past the FSB for those seeking options with more real estate.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Centurion Arms offers a lightweight barrel and midweight barrel with a small, FBI size gas port. The midweight barrel is almost 2oz. heavier than a government weight barrel and the lightweight barrel is about 2oz lighter than a government weight barrel.

Daniel Defense sells a good government weight barrel.

Spikes Tactical has a good 11.5" pencil barrel, but its gas port may be a bit large.

The Colt FBI barrel is about 3 or 4oz heavier than a government weight barrel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

FSB.  Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FSB.  Why?

30 seconds with a dremel and you have the most bombproof gas block imaginable.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This again? If you want the FSB off, then take it off. I did, done. But some are not bothered and actually like the FSB. It's an already there natural index point. If the user believes in back up sights, the fixed front is one less thing to deploy and while a bump may throw rail mounted front sight's zero off, a fixed front sight block will not. If you're worried about not being able to free float, there's options for that too. Daniel Defense Omega if the user wants the traditional look. And Midwest Industries and Centurion Arms both have Mlok free float options that extends past the FSB for those seeking options with more real estate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FSB.  Why?

So dated...

I prefer guns with the fsb but there are some negatives. The taper pins can bulge the bore. There are also some IR/NVG device combos that bloom on the fsb.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#48]
My take is DD or Colt FBI 11.5" with the proper gas port, that is if you run suppressed.

Otherwise, I think any other CHF one will do. Or adjustable gas block, etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top